Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia and Atlanta (outside of the "Baltimore Block") didn't have them either, Sherman's urban renewal program notwithstanding. Historic rowhouses are MUCH more of a Northern phenomenon than a Southern one, and by "Northern" I mean the Northeast and the Midwest.

And outside of the larger cities you mentioned, you also have the Jersey cities (Newark, JC, Camden, etc.), smaller cities in PA (Chester, Harrisburg, etc.), upstate NY (Albany, Buffalo), CT (Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, etc.), etc. The "typical" smaller city in the South just doesn't have rowhouses. Outside of a few in Charleston, they are wholly absent from the Carolinas for instance.
Mostly right. But the New England towns you mentioned have few if any row houses (maybe a few in New Haven). Outside of Boston there are very few row houses in New England. Even Providence, R.I. is basically made up of detached houses. Albany, N.Y. has some row houses near downtown but that's all I can find sifting through the town with the google street view. I can't find any row houses in Buffalo. In the Midwest Chicago has a good amount. Cinncy and St. Louis have some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
The south was also less developed. You guys are like excepting ALL of the major southern population centers in the 1800s: Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, Alexandria. Raleigh NC and Charlotte NC and all the other inland cities weren't established yet.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The south was also less developed. You guys are like excepting ALL of the major southern population centers in the 1800s: Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, Alexandria. Raleigh NC and Charlotte NC and all the other inland cities weren't established yet.
Charleston is like the oldest major city in the South and it has very few; its dominant housing type is the single house. Other old Southern cities have few, if any, rowhouses, like St. Augustine, Mobile, and Galveston.

Truthfully, outside of the VA, the only old Southern city that has rowhouses as a dominant residential architectural style is Savannah.

It just wasn't a popular style in the South outside of VA for the most part.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,378 times
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble but Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, and Charlotte all have traffic issues. It's a big city issue that literally every big city in the world has.

Also, go to New England and tell them that DC is part of the north. Tell me how fast those people laugh at you.

i actually used to live in new england. i lived in boston for 5 years. they dont call DC the south.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Almost everything on your list, minus the traditional row houses, characterizes San Francisco probably more so than DC. Where on your list are the accents? Italian influences? traditional blue collar ethnic neighborhoods? blue collar presence? large Catholic presence? industrial history/ look-and-feel?
You are grasping. Name one southern city that has the same characteristics that I mentioned? BTW - DC does have an enormous Catholic presence. DC looks more like Philly and Boston than Atlanta and Houston.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble but Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, and Charlotte all have traffic issues. It's a big city issue that literally every big city in the world has.

Also, go to New England and tell them that DC is part of the north. Tell me how fast those people laugh at you.
Does Atlanta or any southern city have this?

High percentage of the population relys on transportation
Infrastructure (a third of Atanta and Houston dont have sidewalks or street lights)
Large central business district
Educated populace
Liberal voting patterns
Heavily Democratic
Rowhouses
Emancipation Day is a holiday
East coast traffic and congestion
High salaries
High housing costs
High taxes
High COL
Similar pace of life
Pro Union
Aligned with other cities for a $15 minimum wage increase
Heavily against "Right to Work" laws in Southern States

Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You are grasping. Name one southern city that has the same characteristics that I mentioned? BTW - DC does have an enormous Catholic presence. DC looks more like Philly and Boston than Atlanta and Houston.
I think DC really looks like a cross between, say, Philly and Atlanta (Houston is an entirely different beast). I say that because in DC, you have practically new neighborhoods under construction such as NoMa that highly resemble swaths of new development in Atlanta, whereas of course the older, inner neighborhoods resemble Philly more. The parts of SE and NE that haven't been gentrified (and probably won't be for some time) give me both a Southern and Northern flavor. When you look at the region as a whole, most of the suburbs have a "New South" flavor to them in terms of development (e.g., New Urbanist town centers, TOD) as opposed to the historic suburbs of the Northeast. And then of course, there's the lack of industrial grittiness which sets DC apart from Philly, NYC, and even Baltimore.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Does Atlanta or any southern city have this?

High percentage of the population relys on transportation
Infrastructure (a third of Atanta and Houston dont have sidewalks or street lights)
Large central business district
Educated populace
Liberal voting patterns
Heavily Democratic
Rowhouses
Emancipation Day is a holiday
East coast traffic and congestion
High salaries
High housing costs
High taxes
High COL
Similar pace of life
Pro Union
Aligned with other cities for a $15 minimum wage increase
Heavily against "Right to Work" laws in Southern States
Not really. But I don't really accept your premise to start with. Taxes are very low in this area relatively compared to places like NYC. NOVA, the most populous jurisdiction in the area, is not pro-union and has right to work laws. Traffic is hardly unique to any place in the world.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
You're the one grasping so hard to be accepted into the northeast. The simple logic of my post went over your head. Not being characteristically southern (although the federal govt/census considers DC southern) does not automatically equal being northern. It doesn't matter that no southern city has the characteristics you mentioned. SF has almost all the characteristics you mentioned and it's clearly not northeastern. You also conveniently left out the northeastern traits I listed, because DC doesn't have them. The point of my post is that not being southern doesn't make you northeastern, no matter how badly you want in. Mid-Atlantic is the best term to describe DC, VA, and MD.

Boston, NY, Philly, and probably all other major NE cities are way more Catholic than DC. I'm Catholic and DC does not have an "enormous" Catholic presence.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You're the one grasping so hard to be accepted into the northeast. The simple logic of my post went over your head. Not being characteristically southern (although the federal govt/census considers DC southern) does not automatically equal being northern. It doesn't matter that no southern city has the characteristics you mentioned. SF has almost all the characteristics you mentioned and it's clearly not northeastern. You also conveniently left out the northeastern traits I listed, because DC doesn't have them. The point of my post is that not being southern doesn't make you northeastern, no matter how badly you want in. Mid-Atlantic is the best term to describe DC, VA, and MD.

Boston, NY, Philly, and probably all other major NE cities are way more Catholic than DC. I'm Catholic and DC does not have an "enormous" Catholic presence.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC