Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Not really. But I don't really accept your premise to start with. Taxes are very low in this area relatively compared to places like NYC. NOVA, the most populous jurisdiction in the area, is not pro-union and has right to work laws. Traffic is hardly unique to any place in the world.
Taxes are low in DC? News to me. You need to move to Atlanta and Houston. You never addressed the 13 other things I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think DC really looks like a cross between, say, Philly and Atlanta (Houston is an entirely different beast). I say that because in DC, you have practically new neighborhoods under construction such as NoMa that highly resemble swaths of new development in Atlanta, whereas of course the older, inner neighborhoods resemble Philly more. The parts of SE and NE that haven't been gentrified (and probably won't be for some time) give me both a Southern and Northern flavor. When you look at the region as a whole, most of the suburbs have a "New South" flavor to them in terms of development (e.g., New Urbanist town centers, TOD) as opposed to the historic suburbs of the Northeast. And then of course, there's the lack of industrial grittiness which sets DC apart from Philly, NYC, and even Baltimore.
Nothing in DC (CITY) resembles Atlanta. I've seen the new development buildings in NOMA in CC Philly. That ugly architecture is not only in DC. You didn't address anything else on my list. Transportation, liberal voting patterns, higher salaries, etc.... DC screams east coast liberal city. No city in the south has high transportation usage like the DC-Boston corridor. No city in the south is voting for $15 an hour minimum wage increase. No city in the south has a high COL, high salaries, etc.... All you are mentioning is grit and industrial past.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:58 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nothing in DC (CITY) resembles Atlanta. I've seen the new development buildings in NOMA in CC Philly. That ugly architecture is not only in DC. You didn't address anything else on my list. Transportation, liberal voting patterns, higher salaries, etc.... DC screams east coast liberal city. No city in the south has high transportation usage like the DC-Boston corridor. No city in the south is voting for $15 an hour minimum wage increase. No city in the south has a high COL, high salaries, etc.... All you are mentioning is grit and industrial past.
I'm nitpicking but the $15 minimum wage kind of goes hand in hand with COL. It doesn't make sense to push for a $15 minimum wage in places that COL is much lower. That puts a ton of pressure on the businesses and probably just hurts everyone in the end.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You're the one grasping so hard to be accepted into the northeast. The simple logic of my post went over your head. Not being characteristically southern (although the federal govt/census considers DC southern) does not automatically equal being northern. It doesn't matter that no southern city has the characteristics you mentioned. SF has almost all the characteristics you mentioned and it's clearly not northeastern. You also conveniently left out the northeastern traits I listed, because DC doesn't have them. The point of my post is that not being southern doesn't make you northeastern, no matter how badly you want in. Mid-Atlantic is the best term to describe DC, VA, and MD.

Boston, NY, Philly, and probably all other major NE cities are way more Catholic than DC. I'm Catholic and DC does not have an "enormous" Catholic presence.
LOL @ accepted. DC is arguably the most important city in the free world. Just because you hate it doesn't diminish its place. DC isn't 100 percent northeast. It's definitively Mid Atlantic, however, it has way more in common with the NE than the south. Why do you keep mentioning SF? The question is....is DC NE or South. SF isn't sitting in a gray area on the east coast so I don't understand the analogy.

I am Catholic as well and I'm black. DC has an enormous Catholic presence. There are more Catholics in DC than any other religion. Do a tad bit of research and look it up. Georgetown U. is the oldest Catholic University in the country. Catholic University of America is in DC. Not Philly or Boston. It's in DC. Have you ever heard of the National Cathedral or the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception? It's only the largest Catholic church in the country. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Stop making yourself look ignorant.

You conveniently never addressed my list. BTW: The Federal Government does not consider DC southern. The Feds are made up of hundreds of agencies. The Census Bureau categorizes DC in the south but the FAA, DOT, FCC, DOH, and a list of thirty other Federal agencies that have budgets quadrupling the Census considers DC in the northeast. Go figure.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 04-26-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
LOL @ accepted. DC is arguably the most important city in the free world. Just because you hate it doesn't diminish its place. DC isn't 100 percent northeast. It's definitively Mid Atlantic, however, it has way more in common with the NE than the south. Why do you keep mentioning SF? The question is....is DC NE or South. SF isn't sitting in a gray area on the east coast so I don't understand the analogy.

I am Catholic as well and I'm black. DC has an enormous Catholic presence. There are more Catholics in DC than any other religion. Do a tad bit of research and look it up. Georgetown U. is the oldest Catholic University in the country. Catholic University of America is in DC. Not Philly or Boston. It's in DC. Have you ever heard of the National Cathedral or the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception? It's only the largest Catholic church in the country. Philly or Boston doesn't have anything like that. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Stop making yourself look ignorant.

You conveniently never addressed my list of criteria. BTW: The Federal Government does not consider DC southern. The Feds are made up of hundreds of agencies. The Census Bureau categorizes DC in the south but the FAA, DOT, FCC, DOH, and a list of thirty other Federal agencies that have budgets quadrupling the Census considers DC in the northeast. Go figure.
The National Cathedral is an Episcopal church.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM

126 posts, read 117,480 times
Quote:
Does Atlanta or any southern city have this?

High percentage of the population relys on transportation
Infrastructure (a third of Atanta and Houston dont have sidewalks or street lights)
Large central business district
Educated populace
Liberal voting patterns
Heavily Democratic
Rowhouses
Emancipation Day is a holiday
East coast traffic and congestion
High salaries
High housing costs
High taxes
High COL
Similar pace of life
Pro Union
Aligned with other cities for a $15 minimum wage increase
Heavily against "Right to Work" laws in Southern States
A lot of those things on your list don't even resemble Northern cities.

Educated populace- Philly & Baltimore?
Liberal voting patterns- NYC? Giuliani was a republican and so was Bloomberg until he switched independent and most cities in the US have democratic mayors anyways no matter where they are located.
Emancipation Day is a holiday- I'm not sure how that is relevant but Florida, Mississippi, Texas, Virgin Islands and Kentucky are the only US states or territories outside of D.C. that recognize that day.
High salaries-Baltimore & Philly?
High housing costs-Baltimore & Philly?
High COL-Baltimore & Philly?
Pro Union & Heavily against "Right to Work" laws in Southern States- Most cities in the US are pro union but Right to Work has more to do with the state politics rather than city politics (see Wisconsin & Scott Walker)

I would say that in terms of the cities fandom with professional sports though D.C. is much more similar to southern cities.

Personally being from the South I wouldn't classify D.C. as Southern either I usually look at the city as the gateway to the north being that is the southern most city in the Northeast and because it has some southern and northern qualities. I will say that the Old D.C. was definitely more southern in the way the residents behave and acted but the way the city is changing its definitely has been losing some of its southern qualities over the years.

Last edited by Sketter; 04-26-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I'm nitpicking but the $15 minimum wage kind of goes hand in hand with COL. It doesn't make sense to push for a $15 minimum wage in places that COL is much lower. That puts a ton of pressure on the businesses and probably just hurts everyone in the end.
Virginia isn't pushing for a $15 increase! Last time I checked, the COL of living in northern VA is very high. Virginia is a right to work state along with NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA and TX.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The National Cathedral is an Episcopal church.
You are right.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
A lot of those things on your list don't even resemble Northern cities.

Educated populace- Philly & Baltimore?
Liberal voting patterns- NYC? Giuliani was a republican and so was Bloomberg until he switched independent and most cities in the US have democratic mayors anyways no matter where they are located.
Emancipation Day is a holiday- I'm not sure how that is relevant but Florida, Mississippi, Texas, Virgin Islands and Kentucky are the only US states or territories outside of D.C. that recognize that day.
High salaries-Baltimore & Philly?
High housing costs-Baltimore & Philly?
High COL-Baltimore & Philly?
Pro Union & Heavily against "Right to Work" laws in Southern States- Most cities in the US are pro union but Right to Work has more to do with the state politics rather than city politics (see Wisconsin & Scott Walker)

I would say that in terms of the cities fandom with professional sports though D.C. is much more similar to southern cities.

Personally being from the South I wouldn't classify D.C. as Southern either I usually look at the city as the gateway to the north being that is the southern most city in the Northeast and because it has some southern and northern qualities. I will say that the Old D.C. was definitely more southern in the way the residents behave and acted but the way the city is changing its definitely has been losing some of its southern qualities over the years.
Take Philly and Baltimore out of the equation because both cities are making their way back from decades of despair. However, if you look at Boston versus Atlanta, true north versus south. DC leans more in line with Boston on more characteristics that I mentioned: educated populace, salaries, voting, housing cost, COL, transportation, etc....

Maryland and Mass have each had a Republican Governors. NYC has had Republican Mayors. But let me know the last time they voted red in a Presidential race? These areas are all heavily democratic.

Other than the Redskins and Caps fandom, I agree with the professional sports thing to a degree. DC is a high school basketball mecca aligned with cities in the NE more so the South.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:43 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
It's Mid Atlantic. It's always gonna be that way in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC