Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM

126 posts, read 117,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Take Philly and Baltimore out of the equation because both cities are making their way back from decades of despair. However, if you look at Boston versus Atlanta, true north versus south. DC leans more in line with Boston on more characteristics that I mentioned: educated populace, salaries, voting, housing cost, COL, transportation, etc....

Maryland and Mass have each had a Republican Governors. NYC has had Republican Mayors. But let me know the last time they voted red in a Presidential race? These areas are all heavily democratic.

Other than the Redskins and Caps fandom, I agree with the professional sports thing to a degree. DC is a high school basketball mecca aligned with cities in the NE more so the South.
You can't just say take two of the biggest cities (Philly and B'more) in the Northeast out of the equation then your justification for aligning DC with NE cities is more valid.

I agree with you to some point (excluding African Americans) that D.C. Aligns with Boston more so then ATL but in terms of the AA culture I would def say that it aligns very much more with ATL then Boston.

Are we talking about cities or states because in that case let me know the last time Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville or New Orleans voted for a Republican president.

Last edited by Sketter; 04-26-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 12:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Nothing in DC (CITY) resembles Atlanta. I've seen the new development buildings in NOMA in CC Philly. That ugly architecture is not only in DC. You didn't address anything else on my list. Transportation, liberal voting patterns, higher salaries, etc.... DC screams east coast liberal city. No city in the south has high transportation usage like the DC-Boston corridor. No city in the south is voting for $15 an hour minimum wage increase. No city in the south has a high COL, high salaries, etc.... All you are mentioning is grit and industrial past.
Yes, the new development in DC--of which there is A LOT compared to cities north of it--resembles much of what you see in Atlanta.

I said that DC has contemporary Northern qualities, which would include some of what was on your list--which aren't exclusively Northeastern, as they are also true of some Midwestern and Western cities and aren't true of interior Northeastern cities--as well as some other things. Aside from a lack of grit/industrial past, DC is also not as Catholic as/is more evangelical than cities to the north of it, nor does it have the strong legacy of ethnic European immigration of those cities. Like Southern cities, DC has always had a substantial Black population but like Northern cities, it was a major magnet during the Great Migration. It is also extremely transient like Sunbelt cities, and development patterns in the suburbs are a bit more reminiscent of cities to the south than to the north. The past Southern and present Northern influences make DC quintessentially mid-Atlantic in my book.

And actually there are Southern cities that have voted to raise the minimum wage (it doesn't make economic sense to raise it to $15 in most of them though) but their state legislatures have shut that down. DC has a lot of freedom to implement a lot of measures, not being located in any state and being subject to state politics.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:28 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, the new development in DC--of which there is A LOT compared to cities north of it--resembles much of what you see in Atlanta.

I said that DC has contemporary Northern qualities, which would include some of what was on your list--which aren't exclusively Northeastern, as they are also true of some Midwestern and Western cities and aren't true of interior Northeastern cities--as well as some other things. Aside from a lack of grit/industrial past, DC is also not as Catholic as/is more evangelical than cities to the north of it, nor does it have the strong legacy of ethnic European immigration of those cities. Like Southern cities, DC has always had a substantial Black population but like Northern cities, it was a major magnet during the Great Migration. It is also extremely transient like Sunbelt cities, and development patterns in the suburbs are a bit more reminiscent of cities to the south than to the north. The past Southern and present Northern influences make DC quintessentially mid-Atlantic in my book.

And actually there are Southern cities that have voted to raise the minimum wage (it doesn't make economic sense to raise it to $15 in most of them though) but their state legislatures have shut that down. DC has a lot of freedom to implement a lot of measures, not being located in any state and being subject to state politics.

I'd have to agree with most of what you said. With the exception of what I put in bold. All DC laws are subject to Congressional review. Imagine having 535 State legislators to deal with, especially when most of them are Republicans.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
I'd have to agree with most of what you said. With the exception of what I put in bold. All DC laws are subject to Congressional review. Imagine having 535 State legislators to deal with, especially when most of them are Republicans.
Well yeah I know that can be a hindrance, but at least you can count on power swinging back and forth between the parties with some sort of regularity. That happens a lot more often in Congress than it does in most state legislatures.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Exactly. When my family goes to texas, you always here black children calling their parents mah-muh (not mah-mah) and pahpah, or just mah and pah. I never hear that from black people here.
Eh. I know plenty of black folks in DC that say Mama. My born and raised in DC cousin is one of them.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Eh. I know plenty of black folks in DC that say Mama. My born and raised in DC cousin is one of them.
DC natives don't say Mama. They say muva, farvah and brova. That doesn't sound any better but that's what they say.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a really, really good thing.
Trump squeaked out the DC suburbs. But at least Republican voters accounted for a small percentage of overall voters in yesterday's primaries. Trump won almost as many votes in the Philly suburbs as Clinton did. That's a bit scary.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
DC natives don't say Mama. They say muva, farvah and brova. That doesn't sound any better but that's what they say.
I understand that. I'm just going off what I've heard from personal experience.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
North Jersey or South Jersey?
New Jersey. But I'd doubt there'd be too many people in South Jersey identifying with with the South since much of SJ is Philadelphia-influenced.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The National Cathedral is an Episcopal church.
Not only that, but his assertion that there are more Catholics in DC than anything else is also incorrect, at least if we're talking about the District and not its suburbs.

Mainline Protestant: 82,388
Catholic: 74,958
Evangelical Protestant: 75,306
Black Protestant: 50,602

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

In Philadelphia, there are more Catholics than all Protestant groups combined. This is the case even though DC isn't that much Blacker on a % basis than Philly anymore.

Catholic: 378,561
Evangelical Protestant: 114,439
Mainline Protestant: 102,627
Black Protestant: 56,766

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC