Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times

Advertisements

I am going to Wash DC for a long weekend but the hotels are so expensive.

All I want is a clean, safe and reasonably priced hotel ($120 to $150/night).

I think I will have to go to somewhere in Virginia.

Can anyone suggest which town/city in VA would be closest to DC yet have decent hotels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
The Shoreham has rooms for $135/night listed on Hotels.com. That's in DC, safe, high end, on Metro, close in, nice neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Arlington usually has cheaper places. Look at Crystal City, Rosslyn, and Ballston. Parking will also be cheaper if you're driving. Some places in DC charge upwards of $50 a night for parking.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM

I was thinking of some place like Fairfax or Georgetown. I don't know which city is closest.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
How about Airbnb?

Old 04-13-2016, 05:39 AM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
Thumbs up I vote for Hotel Harrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I am going to Wash DC for a long weekend but the hotels are so expensive.

All I want is a clean, safe and reasonably priced hotel ($120 to $150/night).

I think I will have to go to somewhere in Virginia.

Can anyone suggest which town/city in VA would be closest to DC yet have decent hotels?
You are looking for a basic clean efficient room with GREAT location right? Here's the answer...
https://www.hotel-harrington.com/

When I was in town for a seminar this was the cheapie option on the list of recommended hotels I was sent. A collegue and I had a two bed, two bath suite for about half the cost of a shared room at the swanky hotel.

Now, you must realize that this is an OLD hotel. (The paint around the light switches had decades of paint built up and it was kinda comical.) The bathrooms were outdated. The doorways were narrow. However, the rooms were very clean and the front desk people were great, even when it was a three-ring circus at times.

You see, I noticed that they were hosting a LOT of buses with youth groups touring the USA. When I was there one was Korean and the next day another was from the UK. Also, the small lobby was full of people speaking many, many languages. The great draw? The LOCATION! You are 1/4 block off Pennsylvania Avenue mid-way between the White House and the Capitol. You are 1/2 block to Ford's Theater. There are tons of restaurants of all price ranges within a couple of blocks. (Brazilian steakhouse next door and Hard Rock cafe one block over and many coffee shops and bars, including in the hotel itself.) You are in the middle of EVERYTHING.

One negative is that overnight parking can be had 2 blocks from the hotel (they'll give you a map and instructions to the parking garage when you check in). So your car is not on-site. Otherwise I had NO complaints. One quirky hint: If you are on a higher floor, check out the glass mail chutes. I didn't drop in a letter to post, but the throwback brass and glass mail chutes over by the elevator were kinda neat!

If you are coming all the way to Washington DC, STAY in Washington DC. The metro is cool, and all, but wouldn't it be great to wake up and walk up to the Capitol, stopping in at a Starbucks for a cuppa java like you're a native. For out-of-towners it's a pinch-yourself feeling to just be walking around the places you see on the nightly news. Check out the Hotel Harrington.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
I was thinking of some place like Fairfax or Georgetown. I don't know which city is closest.
Fairfax is way too far away to be convenient; and Georgetown is actually part of DC, not VA. The Metro does not have a stop in Georgeown, so it isn't the best place to stay

Old 04-14-2016, 09:47 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Fairfax is way too far away to be convenient; and Georgetown is actually part of DC, not VA. The Metro does not have a stop in Georgeown, so it isn't the best place to stay
Georgetown also has some of the most expensive hotels in the city.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:44 AM

I am not having any luck finding a good hotel. They are all so expensive. Doesn't seem to matter if it's in suburbs or downtown DC.

I checked the Harrington Hotel and while it seems adorable, still expensive.

Thanks everyone for their help!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
They are all so expensive.
What are you looking to spend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC