Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times

Advertisements

The 5 Hottest Neighborhoods in Washington

The Washingtonian says the 5 hottest neighborhoods in the DC area are:
  • Mount Pleasant
  • Ballston
  • Trinidad
  • Shaw
  • Hyattsville
I don't get most of these selections. It seems like most of these hoods would have been considered hot and fast-growing 10-20 years ago. Ballston is still growing but it's hottest days were definitely 10-15 years ago. Mount Pleasant really that hot and fast growing?

I would have expected more places like Columbia Pike (for Arlington), Petworth, 16th Street Heights, Brookland, H Street, etc.

Are people really flocking to Trinidad? I know that area is definitely seeing some growth, but Trinidad still has some safety issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Hottest does not mean fastest growing, it means in-demand. How quickly do these properties sell, how much have they increased in price, etc. Mt. Pleasant was identified as one of the top five hottest neighborhoods in the country, there is major demand for it, and it sells very quickly.

It is more about demand, than growth.

The reality is most of the places you stated are hot as well. The entire DC area inside the beltway, and west of the anacostia river is hot. Yes, even parts of PG are hot, namely Hyattesville and Mt. Rainier. But DC (wotr), Alexandria, Arlington, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Hyattesville, and Mt. Rainer all remain hot.

There are people flocking to Trinidad, it started getting trendy 3 years ago, and has only snowballed. The area is seeing a great deal of development being close to union market, and is now anchored by Fringe Theater.

One can throw some other places into the list, I think Brookland and Petworth are both good examples you listed. But the reality is it would have been a very long list.

This is kind of a inversion into the inner beltway, largely based on how awful traffic is outside of it.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Hottest does not mean fastest growing, it means in-demand. How quickly do these properties sell, how much have they increased in price, etc. Mt. Pleasant was identified as one of the top five hottest neighborhoods in the country, there is major demand for it, and it sells very quickly.
Sure, but the Washingtonian's methodology doesn't seem very consistent. Mount Pleasant was picked because it sells quickly (like pretty much every other hood inside the Beltway), Ballston and Shaw because home prices increased more than 8%, and Logan Circle was kept off because it's not "edgy" (as if Ballston and Mount Pleasant are edgy??). It kind of seems like they picked their results and then found the reasoning afterwards.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,672 times
Trinidad has good housing stock at still somewhat reasonable prices, but by and large, it is massively ghetto and pretty dangerous.

Hyattsville also remains ghetto, outside of the immediate Arts District area.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Here comes WWIII. Why is there no popcorn eating emoticon?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:54 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Trinidad is being gentrified? Wow. That was one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the DC area back in the 90s. The National Guard used to be out there with humvees, M-16s, and spotlights at night.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:50 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Hyattesville has some good areas and bad areas, and the good areas go beyond the arts district. Hyattesville and Mt. Rainier is getting people priced out of the Takoma Park, Petworth, Takoma, Brookland, and Silver Spring areas. In terms of Trinidad, it is in the process of being gentrified, but that does not mean it has been, it still has major issues in some parts of the neighborhood. It is still very block by block.
A few years ago I skipped out on buying housing there myself, despite the prospect of appreciation. There were far safer areas of DC at that time one can buy a house for close to the metro and amenities for a reasonable price. Now, not as much. Some people though are willing to wait that stuff out.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,103,767 times
I found Trinidad to be terrifying personally. This was on Bladensburg rd. in broad day light this past summer. I grew up in the suburbs so I'm aware that my reaction is probably melodramatic and that my brief encounter doesn't mean the entire area is like that.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I found Trinidad to be terrifying personally. This was on Bladensburg rd. in broad day light this past summer. I grew up in the suburbs so I'm aware that my reaction is probably melodramatic and that my brief encounter doesn't mean the entire area is like that.
Yeah, blocks like this are why I would be skeptical about moving into the neighborhood right now: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9034...7i13312!8i6656. And I say that even as someone who knows some of the scum that live in one of those row homes.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:13 AM

Wow, some idiots at the New York Times said that "Crystal City is the Brooklyn of DC and that millennials are clamoring to be there." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-c-s-brooklyn/

I don't think I could have romanticized Crystal City more if I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: