Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,809,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This is the type of post that promotes racism without addressing the real root cause of the problem. The focus should be on the economics of the people committing most crimes.. not their race.

Do these people commit more crimes BECAUSE they are black or BECAUSE they are poor? If the latter is the answer.. why do we focus so much on the former?

Blacks are over-represented in crime statistics, both as perpetrators and as victims simply because they are also over-represented in poverty statistics. Poor people live in poor neighborhoods, and they tend to think poor, think crime is a "solution" to their problems, and tend to be victims of crime as well. The idea that black people are more inclined to criminality is flawed. It is a funny thing, but successful black people living a middle-class lifestyle are not likely to be burglarizing your house. Actually, it is not a funny thing, but a predictable one. Wealthier people are less inclined toward crime.

If we want to start solving real problems in this country.. we need to stop focusing on frivolous phantom issues and focus on real ones.
For once…. I agree with you. but rich ppl DO commit crime.. its called white collar and it involves going to stores like kmart and doing huge money fraud there because they think they can get away with it in lower class stores.
they can really cause problems.there are also some rich blacks also so they’re not all poor just to get that straight.

To be honest you sound like a college student in a criminal justice class or something.. idk…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
For once…. I agree with you. but rich ppl DO commit crime.. its called white collar and it involves going to stores like kmart and doing huge money fraud there because they think they can get away with it in lower class stores.
they can really cause problems.there are also some rich blacks also so they’re not all poor just to get that straight.

To be honest you sound like a college student in a criminal justice class or something.. idk…
No one said rich people don't commit crimes and no one said all black people are poor.

Its best not to jump to conclusions during these discussions. Ask for clarification if you need it.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:55 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
Quote:
This is the type of post that promotes racism without addressing the real root cause of the problem. The focus should be on the economics of the people committing most crimes.. not their race.

Do these people commit more crimes BECAUSE they are black or BECAUSE they are poor? If the latter is the answer.. why do we focus so much on the former?

Blacks are over-represented in crime statistics, both as perpetrators and as victims simply because they are also over-represented in poverty statistics. Poor people live in poor neighborhoods, and they tend to think poor, think crime is a "solution" to their problems, and tend to be victims of crime as well. The idea that black people are more inclined to criminality is flawed. It is a funny thing, but successful black people living a middle-class lifestyle are not likely to be burglarizing your house. Actually, it is not a funny thing, but a predictable one. Wealthier people are less inclined toward crime.

If we want to start solving real problems in this country.. we need to stop focusing on frivolous phantom issues and focus on real ones.
I agree 100% with what you say. Clearly poverty is a major driver of crime in the District. But, as with everything crime is product of a complex mix of factors. DC's crime rate is higher than a lot of other high COL cities with higher poverty rates than we have.

DC's poverty rate is 18.2%, which is lower than NYC (20.6%), Boston (21.9%) or LA's (22.4%).

And yet our violent crime rate is higher than all those cities.
NYC 596.7 per 100,000 people
LA 490.7 per 100,000 people
DC 1,185.3 per 100,000 people
BOS 725.7 per 100,000 people

Heck our violent crime rate was even higher than Phillys 1,021.4 per 100,000 while there poverty rate was quite a bit higher (26.7%).

So while we should rightly call people out who want to ignore the socio-economic drivers of crime, we should also acknowlege that it isn't as simple as material poverty determines crime. (I'm not accusing you of that. Just building up on what you said. )

Source:
American FactFinder - Community Facts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ime_rate_(2014)

Old 05-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I agree 100% with what you say. Clearly poverty is a major driver of crime in the District. But, as with everything crime is product of a complex mix of factors. DC's crime rate is higher than a lot of other high COL cities with higher poverty rates than we have.

DC's poverty rate is 18.2%, which is lower than NYC (20.6%), Boston (21.9%) or LA's (22.4%).

Heck our violent crime rate was even higher than Phillys 1,021.4 per 100,000 while there poverty rate was quite a bit higher (26.7%).

So while we should rightly call people out who want to ignore the socio-economic drivers of crime, we should also acknowlege that it isn't as simple as material poverty determines crime. (I'm not accusing you of that. Just building up on what you said. )

Source:
Everyone knows these issues are complex and you cannot point to only one cause. DC's ghetto trashers developed a uniquely violent culture compared to other cities for reasons I am not aware of. Sometimes things like this happen. You can look at a place like Afghanistan and find it to be more violent than other similar neighboring territories with similar demographics. You can even look at sports where Boston Red Sox fans are more violent and belligerent than sports fans of other cities.

I think it comes down to the specific culture of DC's underclass.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 PM

135 posts, read 145,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

Source:

https://ballotpedia.org/Verbatim_fac...the_country%3F

D.C., Baltimore City among most dangerous places in U.S. - WTOP

By the numbers: Here are the 20 ‘most dangerous’ cities in America | FOX31 Denver

Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Politicians... The end.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:47 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
Quote:

See, that is EXACTLY the conclusive statement that gets us nowhere. "Focus"? How are we NOT focused??? The struggle for equal access to opportunity has come such a long way. Minority populations of the ivy league schools may be at their maximum (granted, I do not wish to find stats for any of these claims). Many jurisdictions are required to have a minimum of minority participation in public works.

But we can't monitor the actions of every potential perpetrator, and their life choices. Crime IS in large part an action of freewill.

How much more can we "focus"? FORCE kids to do their homework? Send out the gestapo to cruise at risk or impoverished enclaves, to quell violence and mischief that leads to crime?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
See, that is EXACTLY the conclusive statement that gets us nowhere. "Focus"? How are we NOT focused??? The struggle for equal access to opportunity has come such a long way. Minority populations of the ivy league schools may be at their maximum (granted, I do not wish to find stats for any of these claims). Many jurisdictions are required to have a minimum of minority participation in public works.

But we can't monitor the actions of every potential perpetrator, and their life choices. Crime IS in large part an action of freewill.

How much more can we "focus"? FORCE kids to do their homework? Send out the gestapo to cruise at risk or impoverished enclaves, to quell violence and mischief that leads to crime?
As long as ghetto culture exists.. nothing can help the poor. Its not a problem that can be solved 100% from the outside. The poor have to meet everyone else half way and most of them choose not to. And I don't think its because the poor are inherently bad or stupid people. I think its because ghetto culture celebrates insanely idiotic behaviors.

But as others have said before... there are many in the elite class that benefit from poverty and are invested in keeping it going. This is nothing new either and its not unique to the United States.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:31 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:

Chriz my man, have a seat because we need to speak. Peace be with you but on this post I’m going in on you so no hard feelings.

I’m that dude that walks in the building and I am hated by both blacks and whites. And I am black myself but I tell the truth that nobody wants to hear. Blacks do more harm to hurting the black self image than anyone else. Blacks have a series of post traumatic slavery disorders that run deep. Same way that IQ is hereditary- both low and high. Chicago is a war zone and it’s because they are black, not poor. Poor is a symptom, being black is the PROBLEM brother…

You are that same dude that talk out the side of your mouth using words like "trashy elements" when speaking of promoting gentrification. You are a downright classist. And out the other side of your mouth you are quick to pull out calling others for being racist but, you are the absolute worst kind. You are that same dude of when called out, you come back with “I was just trying to stimulate conversations, blah, blah, blah”.

Bro, you don’t know history. Do you know anything about the slave codes and all the other laws that prevented BLACK people from voting, owning, etc.? slave code | United States history | Britannica.com

You are the same dude of when speaking about the doing away of black businesses in DC, you are quick to say that "things move on". But DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT OWNERSHIP IS WHAT CREATES WEALTH, NOT JOBS! Doing away with businesses decreases the chances for wealth to circulate the black community. How about you keep the black bookstores and maybe you will have LESS FREAKING TRASHY ELEMENT. I am yelling at you just in case you didn't realize that because I can yell on the internet and tell you that I am yelling...

You are the worst type- a true snake in the garden but act like you don't know. And yes, I am that dude that will run up.. I don't hide my face, my profile pic says it all..

You have no clue of the Black American Experience IMO. I don’t care what ethnicity you are, you have no empathy whatsoever and can pull the wool over others but not me sir. You and the other classist pretenders with the “it’s not the blacks, it’s the poor”. Or better yet, "I don’t see color, we are all human”. So by doing that, you are dismissing the systematic principles put into place for blacks. White people have no idea what the black experience is on a deeper level. You have no idea why we do the things that we do.

Blacks have severe mental disorders which is why we do all types of crazy things and beg for white acceptance. Hillary ain’t going to do a lick for the blacks but keep them where they are. At least by Trump, being called a racist by the left, will keep out illegal immigrants and will help the blacks- otherwise they will be left as the 5th underclass- behind Syrians. All this affirmative action for women and LGBT is faux. You can hide being gay but you can’t hide being black. A gay person or transexual, while I respect their way of life, creates their own issues because they choose to come out. Great for them but "coming out of the closet" isn't a privilege that blacks have. Many gays have married and have had children but only to change later in life- jenner for example. Blacks can't do that.. White women co-own everything as they stand next to the white man- who owns everything.

Do your research. The black experience is not the same as the white experience. Laws were set in America to prevent blacks from owning anything. Blacks do not own any resources from schools, water supplies, weapon manufactures, and medicine. 35% of all black children in the US are in poverty. Why is that- because they are poor? Because they didn’t strap their boots or their parents failed them? You talk about the vicious cycle but when were the beginnings of that cycle and WHO caused this cycle? What are you doing to help stop this cycle besides moving the trashy element over to PG County?

The poverty that poor African Americans experience is often different from the poverty of poor whites. It's more isolating and concentrated. It extends out the door of a family's home and occupies the entire neighborhood around it, touching the streets, the schools, the grocery stores. A poor black family, in short, is much more likely than a poor white one to live in a neighborhood where many other families are poor, too, creating what sociologists call the "double burden" of poverty. Poor whites, in most major metropolitan areas, are spread out. Poor African Americans are not. Concentrated poverty is getting worse because poor people — especially poor African Americans — are increasingly left behind. And a number of forces drive this pattern, including systemic, policies that have historically concentrated public housing and modern zoning laws that keep the poor out of wealthier communities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...white-poverty/

That last sentence was for you and for the other poster. We are on good terms so I don't want to mention his name.

Ok, now I am done with my rant. It's all love brother. Brothers can argue too you know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqaBvh5XIf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JbjLG4-Po

Old 05-27-2016, 05:43 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,809,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Chriz my man, have a seat because we need to speak. Peace be with you but on this post I’m going in on you so no hard feelings.

I’m that dude that walks in the building and I am hated by both blacks and whites. And I am black myself but I tell the truth that nobody wants to hear. Blacks do more harm to hurting the black self image than anyone else. Blacks have a series of post traumatic slavery disorders that run deep. Same way that IQ is hereditary- both low and high. Chicago is a war zone and it’s because they are black, not poor. Poor is a symptom, being black is the PROBLEM brother…

You are that same dude that talk out the side of your mouth using words like "trashy elements" when speaking of promoting gentrification. You are a downright classist. And out the other side of your mouth you are quick to pull out calling others for being racist but, you are the absolute worst kind. You are that same dude of when called out, you come back with “I was just trying to stimulate conversations, blah, blah, blah”.

Bro, you don’t know history. Do you know anything about the slave codes and all the other laws that prevented BLACK people from voting, owning, etc.? slave code | United States history | Britannica.com

You are the same dude of when speaking about the doing away of black businesses in DC, you are quick to say that "things move on". But DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT OWNERSHIP IS WHAT CREATES WEALTH, NOT JOBS! Doing away with businesses decreases the chances for wealth to circulate the black community. How about you keep the black bookstores and maybe you will have LESS FREAKING TRASHY ELEMENT. I am yelling at you just in case you didn't realize that because I can yell on the internet and tell you that I am yelling...

You are the worst type- a true snake in the garden but act like you don't know. And yes, I am that dude that will run up.. I don't hide my face, my profile pic says it all..

You have no clue of the Black American Experience IMO. I don’t care what ethnicity you are, you have no empathy whatsoever and can pull the wool over others but not me sir. You and the other classist pretenders with the “it’s not the blacks, it’s the poor”. Or better yet, "I don’t see color, we are all human”. So by doing that, you are dismissing the systematic principles put into place for blacks. White people have no idea what the black experience is on a deeper level. You have no idea why we do the things that we do.

Blacks have severe mental disorders which is why we do all types of crazy things and beg for white acceptance. Hillary ain’t going to do a lick for the blacks but keep them where they are. At least by Trump, being called a racist by the left, will keep out illegal immigrants and will help the blacks- otherwise they will be left as the 5th underclass- behind Syrians. All this affirmative action for women and LGBT is faux. You can hide being gay but you can’t hide being black. A gay person or transexual, while I respect their way of life, creates their own issues because they choose to come out. Great for them but "coming out of the closet" isn't a privilege that blacks have. Many gays have married and have had children but only to change later in life- jenner for example. Blacks can't do that.. White women co-own everything as they stand next to the white man- who owns everything.

Do your research. The black experience is not the same as the white experience. Laws were set in America to prevent blacks from owning anything. Blacks do not own any resources from schools, water supplies, weapon manufactures, and medicine. 35% of all black children in the US are in poverty. Why is that- because they are poor? Because they didn’t strap their boots or their parents failed them? You talk about the vicious cycle but when were the beginnings of that cycle and WHO caused this cycle? What are you doing to help stop this cycle besides moving the trashy element over to PG County?

The poverty that poor African Americans experience is often different from the poverty of poor whites. It's more isolating and concentrated. It extends out the door of a family's home and occupies the entire neighborhood around it, touching the streets, the schools, the grocery stores. A poor black family, in short, is much more likely than a poor white one to live in a neighborhood where many other families are poor, too, creating what sociologists call the "double burden" of poverty. Poor whites, in most major metropolitan areas, are spread out. Poor African Americans are not. Concentrated poverty is getting worse because poor people — especially poor African Americans — are increasingly left behind. And a number of forces drive this pattern, including systemic, policies that have historically concentrated public housing and modern zoning laws that keep the poor out of wealthier communities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...white-poverty/

That last sentence was for you and for the other poster. We are on good terms so I don't want to mention his name.

Ok, now I am done with my rant. It's all love brother. Brothers can argue too you know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqaBvh5XIf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JbjLG4-Po
I’ve been trying to say this but he is the type that isn’t worth arguing with. I hope he only says this mess on internet forum.and those professors in the video dont know first hand because they not from that life. Breezy is always talking about poor vs rich wen i know what he really means, he just keeps starting ishhh. I really hope he can learn what that life really like cuz in my hood he won’t make it talking all that around some of these “poor” folks. i mean its funny. He like the guy in the playground who starts something but gets beat down cuz he really offended someone. thats why I now allow him to have his opinion but he really like 2 talk some….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: