Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should DC have sky scrapers?
DC is unique and nice looking just the way it is 16 48.48%
DC need them sky scrapers! 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:02 PM

126 posts, read 117,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Commute. Do you not understand supply and demand? Have you never taken macroeconomics? Life isn't fair my friend. Deal with it.
I suggest you write a letter to your councilmember then because there are already programs, that you are apparently opposed to, that assist those professions in being able to afford homeownership in the District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:26 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
This issue with that philosophy is that it continues to support the notion that poor people should only be allowed to live in poor areas, which usually have their own host of problems such as crime, drugs, underfunded schools, low access to jobs and resources, less political influence, environmental issues, etc. Studies have shown that if you allow poor people to live and integrate with other classes of people that they will have better economic upward mobility and so will their children.
What I'm about to say will probably be very unpopular, but this is just what I believe. You don't have to agree. I only believe in helping those who are taking ACTIVE steps to get out of poverty, get educated or improve their situation.

I don't personally believe poor people should be having kids. People who cannot support themselves having kids is a big part of why the poverty problem will never be solved. Kids make the poverty situation worse because kids are expensive.

On a second note.. if poor people can only afford poor areas, how is that unfair? If someone can only afford an old crappy car.. should they get Government assistance or special policies put in place to allow them to drive a BMW? Its one thing if people are actively trying to get out of poverty and just need a little push. I'm ok with that. But someone who is a perpetual failure is not entitled to LIFE LONG unearned cash prizes just for existing. Nore are they entitled to cash prizes just for having kids.

What I believe in is having a safety net for everyone. If you lose your job, get injured, become disabled, etc. there should be services in place to help you. Life long services should only be for disabled people and the elderly. If you lose your job or have some temperately set back.. then I believe you should get assistance for a certain period of time. Lets say no more than a year or two. If you can't get your ish together by then.. tough luck.

Sorry if this makes me sound heartless. I just don't believe pity helps people. If anything.. it takes away their motivation to do better. There are certain people who really need help. But I believe a lot of poor people can do better and choose not to. So they should live with that choice.

Anyone not taking ACTIVE steps to get out of poverty is not someone I feel sorry for.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:12 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Values? Obviously you're someone in a lower income bracket than me as those are the only people that complain about affordability. It's called supply and demand. Personally, I can afford the high rents in DC and why wouldn't I want to associate with people in a similar socioeconomic class? Is intermingling social classes in a city really imperative for its success?

Yes values!!! And your values have nothing to do with how much money you make. It has everything to do with how you were raised, who and what you think is important in life. I love when someone disagrees with the pro- Gentrification crowd; their default argument is "oh you must be in a lower income bracket and that's why you're complaining" It's pure ignorance and it just so happens not to be true. Together my wife and I make over $200,000.00 a year and we have 5 degrees between us. Not that it's any of your business, but I felt compelled to tell you that because I know that those are the sort of things that give people validity in your mind. I can pretty much live wherever the hell I want in DC to be honest with you.

I have chosen to stay in my neighborhood because it allows me to associate with people of various income levels. An entire city should never only have just one socioeconomic class. Show me a great city and I'll show you a city where people of different income levels coexist. Just because somebody makes less money than you do, doesn't mean they don't have value in our society or that you're any better then them. Some of you people are so ignorant and arrogant it boggles the mind. Here's the thing... As a successful AA man I feel that I have a moral responsibility to help other AAs that are less fortunate than I am. Particularly, since they may not have the political, economic or educational advantages that I have. If you're not AA than you'll never understand this concept and I certainly don't expect you to. However, you do realize that there are many upper income Black people in this city that disagree with the pro-gentrification crowd's agenda right???

http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/...ties-of-color/

Old 05-20-2016, 03:04 PM

126 posts, read 117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What I'm about to say will probably be very unpopular, but this is just what I believe. You don't have to agree. I only believe in helping those who are taking ACTIVE steps to get out of poverty, get educated or improve their situation.

I don't personally believe poor people should be having kids. People who cannot support themselves having kids is a big part of why the poverty problem will never be solved. Kids make the poverty situation worse because kids are expensive.

On a second note.. if poor people can only afford poor areas, how is that unfair? If someone can only afford an old crappy car.. should they get Government assistance or special policies put in place to allow them to drive a BMW? Its one thing if people are actively trying to get out of poverty and just need a little push. I'm ok with that. But someone who is a perpetual failure is not entitled to LIFE LONG unearned cash prizes just for existing. Nore are they entitled to cash prizes just for having kids.

What I believe in is having a safety net for everyone. If you lose your job, get injured, become disabled, etc. there should be services in place to help you. Life long services should only be for disabled people and the elderly. If you lose your job or have some temperately set back.. then I believe you should get assistance for a certain period of time. Lets say no more than a year or two. If you can't get your ish together by then.. tough luck.

Sorry if this makes me sound heartless. I just don't believe pity helps people. If anything.. it takes away their motivation to do better. There are certain people who really need help. But I believe a lot of poor people can do better and choose not to. So they should live with that choice.

Anyone not taking ACTIVE steps to get out of poverty is not someone I feel sorry for.
We are getting off topic so this will be my last rant but knowing that historically poor minority neighborhoods are usually the ones that had highways rammed through them, stadiums built over them, been the site of landfills and factories which has caused health problems, and do to the way this society funds schools usually have underfunded and over crowded schools I can't consciously say that society shouldn't care where poor people live. Until these communities have adequate access to resources and opportunities as everyone else in society, your type of mentality towards poor people will only perpetuate the issues a lot of these communities have faced in the past and will continue to confront in the future.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
We are getting off topic so this will be my last rant but knowing that historically poor minority neighborhoods are usually the ones that had highways rammed through them, stadiums built over them, been the site of landfills and factories which has caused health problems, and do to the way this society funds schools usually have underfunded and over crowded schools I can't consciously say that society shouldn't care where poor people live. Until these communities have adequate access to resources and opportunities as everyone else in society, your type of mentality towards poor people will only perpetuate the issues a lot of these communities have faced in the past and will continue to confront in the future.
Which is why people at poverty level should not be having kids. Its bad for the kids, bad for the parents and bad for society.

If you are borderline homeless, what reason on earth is there to bring a child into the world?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Do you feel that teachers, policemen, and firefighters should have the opportunity to live in the communities that they serve or if it's to expensive for them to live there that they should just they also be forced to commute in from other parts of the region?
They should paid enough to afford to live where they work.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:00 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Quote:

You're not the only one that believes this. But probably not for the reasons that you believe it.

Compulsory sterilization

It is unpopular among citizens. Among policy makers and scientists, not so much.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You're not the only one that believes this. But probably not for the reasons that you believe it.

Compulsory sterilization

It is unpopular among citizens. Among policy makers and scientists, not so much.
I think you're taking what I said too far.

I don't believe in sterilizing people. I believe in not raising children in bad environments where they are basically doomed from birth. If you can't take care of yourself, then you definitely can't take care of a child. That's all I'm saying.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Quote:
I think you're taking what I said too far.

I don't believe in sterilizing people. I believe in not raising children in bad environments where they are basically doomed from birth. If you can't take care of yourself, then you definitely can't take care of a child. That's all I'm saying.
But how do you accomplish this? Socialization? By your logic, large swaths of the Earth's population of human beings would not be on this earth. Particularly minority populations and people of color. I'm not saying that you're advocating sterilization. I'm saying that, on an institutional level, there are professionals that believe as you do, that are making this happen. But they can't get everybody.

What do you think Planned Parenthood accomplishes? It is easier to offer this option to poor people, than to prevent them from having children in the first place. Offering the option, makes it feel as though it was their personal choice to deal with the pregnancy. Preventing them from getting pregnant in the first place, feels restrictive, is controversial, engages in class warfare, etc. What you're advocating is similar to China's one child rule.

When you say that "its bad for society" it implies that those of us who have our act together should not have to provide for those that cannot, and for the children born into those situations.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
But how do you accomplish this? Socialization? By your logic, large swaths of the Earth's population of human beings would not be on this earth. Particularly minority populations and people of color. I'm not saying that you're advocating sterilization. I'm saying that, on an institutional level, there are professionals that believe as you do, that are making this happen. But they can't get everybody.

What do you think Planned Parenthood accomplishes? It is easier to offer this option to poor people, than to prevent them from having children in the first place. Offering the option, makes it feel as though it was their personal choice to deal with the pregnancy. Preventing them from getting pregnant in the first place, feels restrictive, is controversial, engages in class warfare, etc. What you're advocating is similar to China's one child rule.

When you say that "its bad for society" it implies that those of us who have our act together should not have to provide for those that cannot, and for the children born into those situations.
I agree with China's one child rule.

As for the U.S... people who cannot afford to support themselves should NOT be having kids. When you say such a rule would wipe out people of color you are insulting people of color. You are saying all people of color live in poverty. That is not the case and has never been the case.

My thinking is more about what is good for society as a whole at the expense of some individuals. Your thinking seems to be about what's good for the individual at the expense of society. Guess what? When society fails.. ALL individuals fail. So better to look out for society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC