Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should DC have sky scrapers?
DC is unique and nice looking just the way it is 16 48.48%
DC need them sky scrapers! 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
They should really consider including skyscrapers in DC. It would definitely have a skyline that competes with Chicago and maybe even NYC if they did
Why does it need to compete with them. None of them has a building tall enough to see the other. Let DC be DC, and let Chicago and NYC be Chicago and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,579,110 times
Quote:
They should really consider including skyscrapers in DC. It would definitely have a skyline that competes with Chicago and maybe even NYC if they did
I agree that it could/would, but I don't know if it needs that much. I feel like a strong cluster of towers in one or two parts of the city would be a strong enough statement without going over board trying to "compete with NYC/ Chicago." Maybe align some of the waterfront property in the city with some true high rise density and residential buildings, and possibly another small business cluster in upper NW of a few 30-40 story office towers and that peak out over the skyline and are already at higher elevation in the city. Otherwise the suburbs can do just fine making up for the rest of it.

What's more important is a modest "raising" of the height limits in non-downtown areas of the city, to maybe 18-21 stories. This would not be intrusive on much and makes a lot more sense towards increasing density in the city.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
What are some of the logical reasons for keeping DC's height limit in place?

I can't think of any and I really want to find one lol.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:17 PM

741 posts, read 1,114,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What are some of the logical reasons for keeping DC's height limit in place?

I can't think of any and I really want to find one lol.
The only reason I can think of is keeping the open-air aesthetic of the city where you can see the sky. But, I don't consider that reasonable enough to keep the height limit in its current form. For those seeking taller buildings in DC, I recommend not using language saying "get rid of" height limit. I recommend language saying adjusting current height limit. Language needs to have more nuance. There are plenty of constituents in DC that love the height limit. And, that's a fact. As someone who was born and raised in DC, I don't agree with maintaining the height limit in its current form though.

DC would be a beast of an urban city if there were allowance for some strategically placed taller high raises than what's currently allowed. And, there is no reasonable justification why they shouldn't be allowed in the downtown core (west of Connecticut Ave), in NoMa, and in the Navy Yard area.

We just went through evaluating the height limit (via Congress) 2 years ago, and the DC Council rejected meaningful change on behalf of its constituents.

Last edited by revitalizer; 09-27-2017 at 10:41 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 10,253 times
I think southwest and navy yard would be perfect for increased height limit, everything below 695/395. Especially since it slopes downward away from the mall.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Why would it be thought ..... that DC could start NOW allowing some skyscrapers and in a few years or decade...... be competing with mighty NYC and Chicago?

NYC has a few thousand and even Chicago has over a couple thousand. Much in these cities being built today .... are mostly residential towers or mixed use ones, over office towers. NIMBY'S would fight most planned anyway. EVEN IN CITIES NOW .... NEIGHBORHOOD RESIDENTS FIGHT THEM. Unless some area zone was set aside where a PLANNED high-rise and higher district could happen? I see too many hurtles to overcome among already built-up and gentrified DC. These already well established old-stock classic DC .... are not going to be tearing them down for high-rises/skyscrapers in between.

Denver (you may live in) certainly is not competing with a Chi or NY and it never had limits ...... But I'd rather see DC more as European cities without skyscraper cores or right next door. But districts especially outside the city. Photo's of Paris with the Eiffel Tower and skyscrapers IN THE DISTANCE ..... is enough.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why would it be thought ..... that DC could start NOW allowing some skyscrapers and in a few years or decade...... be competing with mighty NYC and Chicago?

NYC has a few thousand and even Chicago has over a couple thousand. Much in these cities being built today .... are mostly residential towers or mixed use ones, over office towers. NIMBY'S would fight most planned anyway. EVEN IN CITIES NOW .... NEIGHBORHOOD RESIDENTS FIGHT THEM. Unless some area zone was set aside where a PLANNED high-rise and higher district could happen? I see too many hurtles to overcome among already built-up and gentrified DC. These already well established old-stock classic DC .... are not going to be tearing them down for high-rises/skyscrapers in between.

Denver (you may live in) certainly is not competing with a Chi or NY and it never had limits ...... But I'd rather see DC more as European cities without skyscraper cores or right next door. But districts especially outside the city. Photo's of Paris with the Eiffel Tower and skyscrapers IN THE DISTANCE ..... is enough.
There doesn't have to be a big push to add skyscrapers to DC. What needs to happen instead is removal of the height act.

While it makes sense to have a height limit around the mall, it is colossally stupid to have it anywhere else. Removing the height limit in the rest of the city does not mean skyscrapers will (or need to) start popping up everywhere. It just means builders can build based on NEED and what makes logical sense rather than having to work around some idiotic law.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:09 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,957 times
The height limit should and will stay. It defines the space of the city. Only butchers would slash such a beautiful canvas.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
The height limit should and will stay. It defines the space of the city. Only butchers would slash such a beautiful canvas.
That's as good as saying: The height limit should stay "because I say so". LOL.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:04 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,957 times
Yes, and furthermore, I am right. You would destroy the very essence of the city. Do you want to stop people in Montreal from speaking French as well? Should we turn Boston into a giant "No Lobster" zone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC