Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 PM

11 posts, read 48,585 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to relocate soon and am considering the DC area. I'm a 32 year old single male and I run a business from my home. I would like to live in an area that is close to coffee shops/cafes/restaurants with single professional women close by. Of course, safety is also an issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Probably Dupont Circle.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 AM

29 posts, read 88,642 times
Old Town Alexandria may be a good fit for you as well.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM

540 posts, read 962,483 times
U Street, China Town (a little more commercial), and Logan Circle (you'll be checked out by as many guys as girls) all fit well. Georgetown, Old Town, and Eastern Market are also great, though a little more family oriented.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM

16 posts, read 67,720 times
i would look at upper northwest: tenlytown, friendship heights. and the surrounding maryland suburbs: bathesda, chevy chase.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
I think it all depends on how much you want to spend.

The most walkable in-town areas can be the most expensive. On the other hand, there are several areas in DC proper that are more affordable than they would be if people with kids could live there, so you can take advantage of that.

Parking can be hard in Georgetown, and there's no Metro access. And Old Town is nice, but a bit isolated out in the suburbs.

You could also think about Silver Spring, MD if you want to keep your housing costs lower. It's close-in, has a walkable downtown area of its own, and is cheaper than, say, Bethesda, but has better public services than DC proper. It's also a bit more diverse and edgy than, say, Old Town.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 48,585 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far...

I'm really trying to get "in the mix" so to speak and would like to live in the middle of everything as opposed to the suburbs. Do to the fact that I work from home, it can be difficult meeting new people. Having coffee shops nearby are great because I can get out of the house and spend some time working there.

I'll probably be renting until I get a good feel for the area. As far as rent goes, I wouldn't want to spend more than say $1,700. Location is more important to me than the size of the apartment at this point and I should mention that I have a dog.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions, keep the good advice coming!

TJ

Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM

65 posts, read 286,660 times
I'm a single lady living in the U St/Logan Circle neighborhood and LOVE IT! I'm a real estate agent, so I also work from home a lot and I'm always running into fun, hip people. Tons of coffee shops, restaurants, boutique stores, and cafes. You can definitely find a nice place that will accept pets for $1,700 or less.

Good luck with your move and welcome to the DC area!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Clarendon

25-35 year old single women everywhere, you don't need a car, 5 minute metro ride to DC, but lower Virginia taxes, and if you find out you fathered a child somewhere along the line, you can actually send the kid to public schools

also has big apartment buildings filled with 25-45 year old singles, these places have lots of happy hours and social events, my friend lives in one he calls "the dorm"

lots of ethnic restaurants, although not as much fine dining or experimental places as DC, but it's actually closer to downtown Washington than parts of Upper Northwest

Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 AM

540 posts, read 962,483 times
Logan Circle is great for dogs. When the neighborhood was transitioning in the late 90's, a lot of apartments/condos used pet friendliness to attract people to the neighborhood and you can see it by the number of dogs you see. We're still waiting for a fenced in dog park, but there are plenty of areas for dogs to get exercise, as well as several pet shops, doggy daycares, and dog walkers.

You can definitely find a 1 BR/1 Bath for under $1700.

I'm sure it sounds like I am trying to sell the neighborhood, but we've lived here for 2 1/2 years and absolutely love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: