Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:51 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,589,509 times

Advertisements

A very interesting article from a blog post:

Quote:
This contest is over. It’s been over for months, if not years. In fact, it never really was a contest at all. My kindred spirit Scott Galloway sees it as a tossup between NY and D.C. I will go one step further and declare Amazon HQ2 is already coming to D.C., but maybe not for the reasons others are imagining.
http://www.paulmeloan.com/amazon-hq2-will-come-d-c/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
They do. But you have to remember the elephant in the room that is the "brand name". DC is a brand name while Arlington/Rosslyn is not. I get the feeling Amazon would prefer setting up shop in a legitimate city.

Image matters when you are trying to attract new talent. A company as big as Amazon moving to some suburb most people have never heard of would seem strange after starting all this public ruckus about their move. I can't see them moving to New Jersey either for the same reason.

DC has worldwide name recognition. Arlington doesn't. NYC has worldwide name recognition. Newark New Jersey doesn't.

That's the problem with the DC suburbs. They have lower status both domestically and worldwide, even if they offer the same benefits or more benefits in some cases.

Not that Amazon necessarily cares about that. But maybe they do.
While I kinda see your point, I really doubt any of that matters. The biggest company in the US (Wal-Mart) isn't HQ'd in a major city...it's located in a place called Bentonville, AR.

Plus, let's be real, anyone not from here will just say "DC" even if it's based in suburban MD or VA (The Pentagon is a prime example...most people say it's in DC when it's actually in Arlington).

Old 02-23-2018, 08:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,139 posts, read 7,601,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A very interesting article from a blog post:

http://www.paulmeloan.com/amazon-hq2-will-come-d-c/
Although I hate the thought of a jinx...

This article, while heavily opinionated, really explains the reason as to why there is no better metropolis to place the new HQ2 other than DC. No other city in this country possess the exactly qualities that Amazon not only prefers to look for, but also needs for their continued survival/dominance, and that includes NYC.

I agree to some extent about the window dressing also. I mean really most people are acting like this headquarters is opening a new distribution center with regards to logistics etc. It's not. Nashville, Indy, and Raleigh or Austin do not strategically improve Amazon's status globally on any level whatsoever. Idc about the buying of Whole Foods that has nothing to do with Amazon reaching it's full potential across the world.

This article has a lot of good points in it, and leads me to believe DC is the odds on favorite ahead of every metro area in the country, with that said we still have to wait and see.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,525,854 times
20 finalists if you want, but I think the real finalists are the DC metro area and the NYC metro area. Those are the only ones that offer everything Amazon needs.

Also, since NYC is such and obvious place to move and requires no real research to know the benefits, its probably going to be DC.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Forbes: Amazon is destined for the most powerful city on Earth

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo.../#551fb5e34635

Can we just call this a wrap already, or are there other better options to put HQ2?

Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 PM

209 posts, read 235,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Forbes: Amazon is destined for the most powerful city on Earth

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo.../#551fb5e34635

Can we just call this a wrap already, or are there other better options to put HQ2?
For their intents and purposes, no, there's no better choice that covers all their needs.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
For their intents and purposes, no, there's no better choice that covers all their needs.
The deeper I dig into this, and think really hard. 1000% agreeance. No other metropolis fulfills ALL of the EXACT needs of what this company is looking for in their 2nd headquarters. On top of that no other metropolis can help raise Amazon to their greatest height of potential for the future, and it's not even close to be honest.

All that high COL vs low COL will go out the window when they consider how much the DC region elevates their opportunity for expansion. Bezos is playing chess not checkers.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:07 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,589,509 times
I told you. It's all a charade. Can someone please tell Pittsburgh, Columbus, ad Nashville to stop wasting money? It's so sad reading their media go back and forth on why they could be selected. I guess that creates journalism jobs.

Those places never had a chance. Such a shame.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I told you. It's all a charade. Can someone please tell Pittsburgh, Columbus, ad Nashville to stop wasting money? It's so sad reading their media go back and forth on why they could be selected. I guess that creates journalism jobs.

Absolutely, those cities can do nothing for a company with the size and impact of Amazon. In hindsight, I know it may have been with the intent of gaining extra incentives, but to name a "short list" of 20 cities was pretty ridiculous to begin with. Bezos knows where he wants to be, and he knows what city will help his company the most.

Now this take over of The Post all makes sense to me.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:53 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:

The smaller cities that made the shortlist (but will, in all likelihood, not be chosen) could still land some smaller, but yet impactful, Amazon eco-devo deals down the road. And don't think that other corporations aren't paying attention to this process and possibly giving those smaller cities a second look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC