Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:00 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm taking a day trip to Washington, D.C. on April 14 for the cherry blossom festival. I am looking for an Afghani or halal restaurant that I can get an affordable, delicious dinner. It must be in DC because I am taking Amtrak and my train back to Philadelphia is at 6:10.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:02 PM

209 posts, read 234,758 times
Try this: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=afg...shington%2C+DC

Old 04-01-2018, 05:14 PM

I did, but there are so many different choices. I'm not too familiar with DC and I am spending the day by the Tidal Basin. I'm not sure how close restaurants are.

Lapis looked good, I guess I could Google 1847 Columbia Rd NW from the Tidal Basin.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:51 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Definitely Lapis, we love it. It's an easy cab/Uber ride (could technically walk if you're up for it, but it's ~2.5 miles from the Mall). I'd recommend trying to get a reservation, it can get packed, which you can do through their website. Our favorites are the mantoo shrimp (the saffron sauce is so so good), bolani, shore-nakhot, buranee banjan, and bamya. Last time we got a tasting menu which had some of the meat and veggie dishes (I want to say the lamb korma), which were also delicious.

Maiwand Grill is also nearby and was pretty good, more of a takeout place though.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,878 times
I'm a huge fan of Afghan Kabob House. The good news is they deliver!!! So just place an order and they will deliver to your location.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:12 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaDC View Post
I'm a huge fan of Afghan Kabob House. The good news is they deliver!!! So just place an order and they will deliver to your location.
He's here for a day trip. His location will be sightseeing on the Mall. They aren't delivering there...

Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
He's here for a day trip. His location will be sightseeing on the Mall. They aren't delivering there...
True, but he/she could still take a cab from the Mall to Afghan Kabob House- It's in Court House so not far. Both are good but Lapis in Adams Morgan would be my first choice. I would double check on the hours though- having a 6:10 pm train means you are going to be having a really early dinner and some places don't open until 4 or 5 pm. In addition, you will need to be at Union Station 20-30 minutes ahead of your train departure.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 04-02-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I would double check on the hours though- having a 6:10 pm train means you are going to be having a really early dinner and some places don't open until 4 or 5 pm. In addition, you will need to be at Union Station 20-30 minutes ahead of your train departure.
That's a good point. Regarding Lapis, we've gone there for brunch several times and were very happy. We generally hate brunch, as a lot of menus soley focus on breakfast food and by the time we get there we're ready for lunch, but Lapis includes several of their Afghani dishes in the brunch menu. Might be good option to eat when he/she gets in and then go sightseeing?

Old 04-03-2018, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why wouldn't they? Of course they would. Give them an address and that's where they will deliver. Totally easy, affordable and awesome food.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 PM

It looks like Lapis doesn't open until 5:30.

I see that there is a kabob house in Arlington, a 15 minute lyft ride. I might try it. However, the more I think about it... since I am going for the cherry blossom festival, I might eat Asian. I might look up some decent pho places.

I'm going to make a new post about decent pho places in the area.

~Jessica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC