Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 10,559 times

Advertisements

Is there a shop that sells Chinese herbs / spices --- I was told that most of the shops in Chinatown are restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 AM

60 posts, read 449,433 times
hmm...there are asian markets all over annandale, and in rockville, that I know of. You might also want to try the Glut food co-op as they have lots and lots of quality organic spices. They are in Mt. Rainier.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 AM

82 posts, read 433,769 times
I often buy these types of ingredients at the H Mart (near Rt. 50/Beltway in VA) or Grand Mart (7 Corners).

Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
There is one place in Chinatown you can consider. Sorry I can't tell you the name, but it's on 7th Street (East Side) just north of H. There is the abandoned CVS, then a building that is under rehab, and then a place with lots of Chinese pots and fans and swords in the window. You go in and there is a Chinese pharmacy on the right (traditional Chinese medicine) and they have a smallish grocery alongside all the cheap Chinese imports they sell to tourists. You might get lucky there.

The next store up is also a trinket/medicine store. Less likely but worth a shot.

If not, metro to Rockville (Rockville station) and go up about two blocks to Maxim or Kam Sam Supermarkets. Or drive out to Great Wall at 50 and Gallows Road in Fairfax. Those should probably have what you want.

Is there something in particular you are looking for, or just general browsing?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
There is one place in Chinatown you can consider. Sorry I can't tell you the name, but it's on 7th Street (East Side) just north of H. There is the abandoned CVS, then a building that is under rehab, and then a place with lots of Chinese pots and fans and swords in the window. You go in and there is a Chinese pharmacy on the right (traditional Chinese medicine) and they have a smallish grocery alongside all the cheap Chinese imports they sell to tourists. You might get lucky there.
Penguin is right. This store is on the same block as Charlie Chang's. I've been in it I think it has an oriental pharmacy so that should help you out.

However, I think it may no loger be there! I think it got bulldozed or taken over by a new Vapianos?, the CVS I know is no longer there either (empty).

Google Maps

Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
Penguin is right. This store is on the same block as Charlie Chang's. I've been in it I think it has an oriental pharmacy so that should help you out.

However, I think it may no loger be there! I think it got bulldozed or taken over by a new Vapianos?, the CVS I know is no longer there either (empty).
I think the store you were thinking of was Da Hua market, which was on H next to Charlie Changs and has been removed and is being replaced with something with a V or something. It definitely would have had what the Op was looking for.

The store I'm talking about is on 7th, just north of 7th and H (i.e. across the street from Fados, that great Irish-Chinese pub). It's in the same block and the same side of the street as the South African/Chinese Nandos and the Chinese favorite "Hooters".

Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,781 times
ah yes those famous Chinese Hooters wings of course...

Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 PM

19 posts, read 64,050 times
I know this is an old post but maybe my comment will help someone who is currently looking (like I was when I came across this old post). I was looking for several chinese herbs (Chuan Xin Luan, Gan Mao Ling and San She Dan cough syrup). I went all over NoVa looking. I finally found what I needed at Da Hsin Trading Company in Chinatown at 811 7th St NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC