Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM

29 posts, read 210,237 times

Advertisements

I rented a car from Enterprise and got a photo radar speeding ticket in Montgomery Cty, MD. According to HB455, rental car agencies aren't considered owners of the car for some reason. Regardless, MD sent the citation to Enterprise. Also according to HB455, Enterprise legally should have notified MD that I was the driver at that time so that MD could send me the citation instead. Instead, Enterprise just paid it without notifying me and charged my credit card. I feel as if I was not given the due process that every American has a right to. My question here, is not whether I'm guilty or not, it's whether Enterprise went beyond it's legal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM

273 posts, read 949,895 times
Not really sure on the complete legal ramifications of this one, but I beleive that within your contract with Enterprise there is some sort of clause that you are "responsible for all violations, etc..." Just be glad that they didn't charge an additional fee like excess wear and tear on the vehicle also. I don't know if it's wives tales, but I've heard of them doing that when the vehicle has been reported as speeding and other violations.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:50 PM

My rental contract does say I'm responsible for violations, but don't you have to be found guilty first?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdepauw8 View Post
My rental contract does say I'm responsible for violations, but don't you have to be found guilty first?
Enterprise probably plead guilty for you when they paid the fine. Wasn't that nice of them?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM

Again, I don't think that's legal for them to plead one way or the other on my behalf in a legal court. Isn't that what due process is all about?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Actually the photo ticket is issued to the owner of the vehicle, not the driver -- like a parking ticket. Enterprise was completely within their rights to pay the fine since they own the vehicle. And what are you going to plea, anyway? Pay the fine. Slow down.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM

273 posts, read 949,895 times
I understand that it sucks to get a ticket for anything, just be thankful that it won't go on your insurance and you have your rates go up. The ticket goes to the owner of the car, Enterprise, who gave YOU use of their car at that time and has every right to charge you as stated in their contract that you signed. What would have happened if you were driving your friends car and two weeks later they get a ticket in the mail, is it their responsibility to pay that or is it yours and the radar must have been malfunctioning when it caught you?
Like he said:
Quote:
And what are you going to plea, anyway? Pay the fine. Slow down.
I remember seeing an article regarding police officers who had 30-40 tickets per officer in one jurisdiction that were legitimate tickets (non-emergency driving), how'd ya like to be that guy? I don't live near anywhere that has the photo radar, but I lived in Houston where we had the red-light photo cameras. I know they're money makers, but you wouldn't believe how it helped change driving habits(for the better) as well as the city's approach to traffic patterns and congestion in certain areas.

Last edited by akwebb81; 04-01-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC