Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
????

I'm not even sure why you quoted my post because I never said anything about anyone not being proud to live in DC, when did I say that? Can you show me? I like DC, I've lived in DC proper too and I loved it, but I wouldn't say living in DC is way better than living in Nova and vice versa.

All I said was I don't know of anyone who brags about living in DC proper vs. NOVA and being like "HA I LIVE IN DC AND ID NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD LIVING IN ARLINGTON". I haven't seen that. I actually do know people who live in DC who have or want to move to the VA side due to space/pricing but still close enough to venture into the city. Arlington isn't some outlier exurban area. If you're working at Amazon, you're going to find what's affordable and what gives you the best commuting options, not "I gots to live in DC cause they got the museums and the bars".
My point was if you are proud of where you live, you tend to brag about those things about where you live that make you proud. Pride and bragging usually go hand in hand.

Naturally, someone who is proud of DC and wants to stay here will not espouse the greatness of living in another city. So, of course, DC, to those people will be better than other cities.

Same goes for people who live in and love NoVa and cities in MD.

As for me, I've always said, I will never be caught dead in Virginia. I love MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,579,110 times
DC is the urban behemoth of this region yes, but I don't think that majority of locals place it that much higher on the totem pole than the much of the suburbs in terms of being most desirable place to live. Partly due to the fact that I think DC has some the best suburbs in the entire country. So it really is a preference to many who want to live in an Arlington, Alexandria, SS, Bethesda etc for them to choose there over DC proper itself.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:35 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
My point was if you are proud of where you live, you tend to brag about those things about where you live that make you proud. Pride and bragging usually go hand in hand.

Naturally, someone who is proud of DC and wants to stay here will not espouse the greatness of living in another city. So, of course, DC, to those people will be better than other cities.

As for me, I've always said, I will never be caught dead in Virginia. I love MD.
hahahah i guess it's like why I have to hate MD cause I live in VA.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
'Lollllll' is always such a great response!

Using a one mile radius around one zip code (one of the most dense in DC) does not do any more to prove that the density of most DC neighborhoods is not much more than those of dense neighborhoods in North Arlington, Bethesda or Silver Spring.

Moved out about 2 years ago- hardly the 'DC in the past.' The city will probably continue to grow- hopefully in this process the DC government learns how to make the most basic services such as registering a car a much more efficient process. Hopefully they can bring in more Fortune 500 Companies as well- as of right now they have two out of 15 in the region. They seem to largely want to be in Virginia!
You clearly didn’t use the tool did you? You can put different criteria in the tool. 1-mile, 2-mile, 3-mile etc. etc.

Why would we want to make having a car in a city like DC easier? The city has a goal of reaching 75% non-auto commuting by 2030. You sound like someone who should live in the suburbs because that is the lifestyle you prefer.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm from here. I've lived in both DC and NOVA. DC was busy during those times, however, under a different crowd (black people, not gentrified), and things are being built up in DC to where they are safe and walk-able communities, which has made it much more pricier, however, is a good thing in the long run for DC to finally be able to compete with those elite cities you mention. You can always tell an out-of-towners who moved to DC for a govt contracting job and they do have this attitude of "VA? MD? yuck, that's the country where rednecks live", which I always kinda chuckle at. But I digress. However, unlike you MDallstar, I have heard people who live in DC constantly justify why they live there, and I know some who have told me how they want to move to NoVA for better schools, a house, etc. I haven't heard people justify why they live in NOVA over DC, though. Most people who live in NoVA are perfectly fine not living in the city and driving into it for work/entertainment.

However, you mention these other cities, but they are all much physically bigger than DC proper is. DC is a smaller city than all of those aforementioned cities, so while again, there's nothing wrong with living in DC, there also isn't much room and space compared to what the burbs offer. That's all I'm getting at. While city dwellers are great, there will also be others who will want a house with a yard and kids, which places like Arlington/Alexandria/Silver Spring etc offer.

If someone loves living in DC, great! DC is finally become a safer, world class city. I like the fact that this area has plenty of options to live, depending on your lifestyle.

Now, you’re making absolutely no sense at all. You’re complaining DC has become gentrified, yet you moved to VA? Black people that complain a neighborhood is losing its black majority move to other neighborhoods that have retained their black majority if that is “important” to you. So why didn’t you move to Ward 7, Ward 8, or Prince George’s County?

DC (61.05 sq. miles) is larger than Manhattan (22.83 sq. miles) and Paris (40.7 sq. miles). DC could fit another 1 million people on top of the 700,000 people living here without even raising height limits. Ward 5, 7, and 8 could accommodate most of that growth. Highrises across the city evenly distributed.

Culturally, unlike you, I still attend most of the local GoGo shows and cultural traditions I grew up around because they still are happening contrary to popular beliefs of those like you who moved here from out of town.

The fact that you’re talking about people in VA driving into the city is why they, along with you, should live in the suburbs. It’s going to get harder and harder to live in DC with a car as the years pass. If you want that lifestyle with space and cars and a slower daily life, the suburbs is great. Nothing wrong with that. I hope DC gets to 2-million people much less 1-million in its 61.05 sq. miles. I own my house so it will be great for me.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

This is why I compare DC to Manhattan from a geographical standpoint. VA people generally don’t go to MD and MD people generally don’t go to VA, however, MD and VA people both travel to DC. This is the same way Manhattan works. All the boroughs, Connecticut, and NJ travel to Manhattan. Most don’t travel through Manhattan to get to other places except on rare occasions just like MD and VA people don’t go through DC to get to the other places often.

The point is, everyone goes to Manhattan and everyone goes to DC. As DC changes and continues to become more urban, even more people enjoy coming into the city. That will only increase over the years.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
'Lollllll' is always such a great response!

Using a one mile radius around one zip code (one of the most dense in DC) does not do any more to prove that the density of most DC neighborhoods is not much more than those of dense neighborhoods in North Arlington, Bethesda or Silver Spring.
Get Area Population By Milage Squared

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Arlington’s densest areas can’t sniff DC’s densest areas.

All Arlington VA Zip Code Populations At 1-Mile Radius

22206: 37,379 people = 11,904 people per sq. mile
22203: 36,816 people
22204: 36,422 people
22209: 33,049 people
22205: 25,559 people
22211: 23,390 people
22202: 22,629 people
22207: 19,580 people
22213: 16,459 people

DC Top 9 Most Populated Zip Codes At 1-Mile Radius

20009: 98,836 people = 31,476 people per sq. mile
20010: 80,994 people
20036: 72,224 people
20001: 69,974 people
20005: 66,984 people
20002: 50,988 people
20011: 47,793 people
20003: 42,444 people
20006: 42,402 people

(Methodology - the tool measures the population using a 1-mile radius. The population should be divided by 3.14 sq. miles to get the population density.)

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-27-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 AM

409 posts, read 334,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is why I compare DC to Manhattan from a geographical standpoint. VA people generally don’t go to MD and MD people generally don’t go to VA, however, MD and VA people both travel to DC. This is the same way Manhattan works. All the boroughs, Connecticut, and NJ travel to Manhattan. Most don’t travel through Manhattan to get to other places except on rare occasions just like MD and VA people don’t go through DC to get to the other places often.

The point is, everyone goes to Manhattan and everyone goes to DC. As DC changes and continues to become more urban, even more people enjoy coming into the city. That will only increase over the years.
True, that. Hopefully that should be able to attract some big boy/mid-level companies to set up their HQ's in DC outside of the usual industries (feds,law,non-profits). Plus this should maybe lead to an increased international feel in terms of residents and tourists close to the likes of Toronto/NYC/London.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
True, that. Hopefully that should be able to attract some big boy/mid-level companies to set up their HQ's in DC outside of the usual industries (feds,law,non-profits). Plus this should maybe lead to an increased international feel in terms of residents and tourists close to the likes of Toronto/NYC/London.
I don’t really think they should locate in DC unless we don’t have to give any incentives. DC, MD, and VA are tax reciprocity states. That means we only get taxes from those that choose to live in DC. Those who want to live in DC will do so regardless of where their job is. This is why it’s best that Amazon located in Crystal City versus DC proper. We didn’t have to give them any tax breaks and those who would rather live an urban lifestyle versus suburban will still choose to live in DC and pay DC taxes. We will also get all the food and beverages taxes because obviously they will come to DC for entertainment like everyone else does. If we didn’t have reciprocity with VA and MD and people working in DC, but living outside the city, still had to pay DC taxes like other cities across the country, then I would be all for it.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:55 AM

409 posts, read 334,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don’t really think they should locate in DC unless we don’t have to give any incentives. DC, MD, and VA are tax reciprocity states. That means we only get taxes from those that choose to live in DC. Those who want to live in DC will do so regardless of where their job is. This is why it’s best that Amazon located in Crystal City versus DC proper. We didn’t have to give them any tax breaks and those who would rather live an urban lifestyle versus suburban will still choose to live in DC and pay DC taxes. We will also get all the food and beverages taxes because obviously they will come to DC for entertainment like everyone else does. If we didn’t have reciprocity with VA and MD and people working in DC, but living outside the city, still had to pay DC taxes like other cities across the country, then I would be all for it.
Oh OK, fair enough. I get now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC