Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 AM

6,822 posts, read 4,275,168 times

Advertisements

That Chipotle aside, the 2020 Census won't show off any trends that are based on events occurring in 2020 and beyond.

Most people would have submitted their Census forms in the spring or summer of 2020, so it's unlikely the supposed trend of people moving outside of urban areas as a result of the pandemic and/or civil unrest/crime would be baked into the figures.

So for what it's worth, D.C. could have had more people in 2020 than in 2010, but less people in summer 2021 than in summer 2019. It's not a contradiction itself. Whether it's the case I don't know, but the 2020 Census just isn't the instrument to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 11:39 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,404,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That Chipotle aside, the 2020 Census won't show off any trends that are based on events occurring in 2020 and beyond.

Most people would have submitted their Census forms in the spring or summer of 2020, so it's unlikely the supposed trend of people moving outside of urban areas as a result of the pandemic and/or civil unrest/crime would be baked into the figures.

So for what it's worth, D.C. could have had more people in 2020 than in 2010, but less people in summer 2021 than in summer 2019. It's not a contradiction itself. Whether it's the case I don't know, but the 2020 Census just isn't the instrument to find out.
But certain people have been talking about this since 2010.

We do know lots of projects continue to begin construction or be announced throughout DC and surrounding urban areas. And Multifamily housing is exploding in DC & around the metropolitan area.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/

Old 09-30-2021, 12:19 PM

6,822 posts, read 4,275,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
But certain people have been talking about this since 2010.

We do know lots of projects continue to begin construction or be announced throughout DC and surrounding urban areas. And Multifamily housing is exploding in DC & around the metropolitan area.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/

I think it's honestly too early to say what the mid to long term trend is going to be. Most of those projects were initiated well before summer 2020 and would already have contracts in place. It's understandable that developers would push through existing projects unless they ran out of funding.

There's a lot of businesses whose entire premise is based on growth in commercial and multifamily real estate. Those businesses will continue to act as if that growth is a safe assumption because quite frankly they would all cease to exist if that wasn't the case. I would think that many in the real estate industry and its attached sibling industries (construction, building technologies etc.) would rather crater as a result of a brutal correction than to stop believe in growth in this area. Growth has been around for too long, and is too ingrained in existing plans and financial gambits.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:22 PM

322 posts, read 276,379 times
I went to the relocated Chipotle at 1300 Connecticut ave. and this new location has way less seating than the old location - like 4 tables total

Old 10-05-2021, 09:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,634,916 times
Perhaps the landlord wanted to go way up on rent and it was too much for them? I've seen this quite a bit in DC. Successful businesses but the landlord wants to go up like 11% in rent. The weird thing is that some of these locations go vacant for years. As a landlord, I'd rather have some kind of revenue than no revenue at all. Asian Spice downtown was always fairly busy but shut down abruptly. To me knowledge, the space is still vacant. Also, there is that very popular Irish pub that was in Chinatown that closed down. Not sure anything is there now, but last I knew it was vacant. The landlord wanted to go up on rent by double digits.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:53 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,296,896 times
The M street location is certainly closed now.
But perhaps temporarily for a renovation?
Eater reports that location will remain open? https://dc.eater.com/2021/10/5/22710...rmont-am-intel

Actually that seems somewhat surprising to me. Conn Ave /M street was trending down pre-pandemic and has just been decimated by the duration of the pandemic/office work.

The two retail/restaurant zones in Downtown: Gallery Place/F street and this area have basically been vaporized by the pandemic. In recent months their have been some positive signs for Gallery Place. Retail is gone, but at least some fast casual and sports bars have announced plans to open. Conn Ave still seems dead in the water.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:29 PM

339 posts, read 837,508 times
Lmao! Relax. The location moved a block away on Connecticut ave.
Short walk from the old location. Newer and cleaner.

https://www.popville.com/2021/09/chi...dupont-circle/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC