Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM

181 posts, read 838,189 times

Advertisements

What is your best advice for a recent college grad with a BA Business/Econ, from out of town, looking for an entry-level career in Washington? Both private sector and government jobs are in consideration at this time. Has anyone started out their career in Washington have any advice? or is it more the city to move once you’ve already started moving up? I understand that cost of living can be difficult on an entry-level salary, but figure that it holds true in any expensive city. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Entry level in a federal job in your situation would likley be a GS-7, which is currently $39,330. That won't actually go very far, meaning you would likely have some roommates for a while. Plusses and minuses in that, but either way, and particularly if you have any significant student debt to be paying off, you'll be scrimping and saving for a while. The upside is that if you're good, you can make GS-11 in three years (currently $58K) and GS-12 in five years (currently $70K). Otherwise, aside from the job security angle, federal benefits are not quite the gravy train they are sometimes described as, but it's still possible to be quite comfortable, and for many, the nature of the work itself simply can't be surpassed. So, some people thrive in the civil service and some hate it. It all depends, but it's a good place to start out, and if you decide it's not a good fit for you, it's a fine thing to have packed away on the resumé...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1778 View Post
What is your best advice for a recent college grad with a BA Business/Econ, from out of town, looking for an entry-level career in Washington? Both private sector and government jobs are in consideration at this time. Has anyone started out their career in Washington have any advice? or is it more the city to move once you’ve already started moving up? I understand that cost of living can be difficult on an entry-level salary, but figure that it holds true in any expensive city. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Basically, I'm one year ahead of you. I graduated last year with a BS in Econ, went to school 50 miles from DC, but am from PA. There's definitely a lot of options, especially if you're interested in economic analysis, policy, antitrust, or finance. If you don't know which type you prefer (I didn't), just try one out. Private sector will get you more money, but be careful where you work if you don't like the idea of working 70 hours a week half the time. Generally, litigation consulting will require more time than general consulting. I've been working with the government for almost a year, and really like it. Most positions will start you out as a GS-7, and many have a promotion ladder or potential of 11 after two years (i.e. in one year you're a 9, the next year you become an 11). I think it's a great place to start, since there's a lot of young people from all over doing the same exact thing. As far as living, it's not that bad. Yes, it's much easier with a roommate or two, but I work with several who live alone (again, on a GS-7 salary). I live with 1 roommate and just got a great little townhouse 5 blocks off the National Mall.

As far as money, I've never had a problem. Yeah, I can't go off buying Gucci shoes or anything, but I have no problem going out for happy hours, dinners, etc. Not to mention that a lot of places (both government and private) will pay for some or all of courses that you want to take. For that reason, I'm sticking where I am for another year or two and having them pay for my master's degree.

Best advice I can give is to apply to a bunch of places, and just feel out what sort of atmosphere you want. If it doesn't work, move on in a year (which is not unusual at all).

Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 AM

29 posts, read 157,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1778 View Post
I guess it just depends on what job your looking for. My friend graduated last spring with a BA in Econ and is working at a major econ consulting firm, which is paying him around 55k i think. The only problem is that is sometimes is working on holidays and weekends and late hours, depending if they are working on a case or not...so his weekly hours go from 45-70.

I just accepted a job at the USPTO(highest paying gov job i think) starting sept, as an entry lvl industrial engineer, and the GS-7 starting salary is $64,704, with a $5k bonus for the 1st 4 years, so startign off 70k my 1st year, and going up depending on my promotion rate, but i think they are mostly hiring entry lvl engineers.

So i guess it just depends on what you want...lower paying gov job with good hours, or hiring paying private job, with variable hours...

Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsucesar View Post
I guess it just depends on what job your looking for. My friend graduated last spring with a BA in Econ and is working at a major econ consulting firm, which is paying him around 55k i think. The only problem is that is sometimes is working on holidays and weekends and late hours, depending if they are working on a case or not...so his weekly hours go from 45-70

Man, that sounds exactly like my roommate.....

Definitely ask about general hours and what's expected of you. Occasionally pulling 60-hour weeks may not really sound that bad, but it can really get to you after a while. Especially since it's sometimes not expected, so it's hard to make plans (i.e. going out to dinner with friends, going away for a weekend). She's a good worker and likes what she does, but due to the hours she's seriously thinking about quitting once her first year is up.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM

29 posts, read 157,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Man, that sounds exactly like my roommate.....

Definitely ask about general hours and what's expected of you. Occasionally pulling 60-hour weeks may not really sound that bad, but it can really get to you after a while. Especially since it's sometimes not expected, so it's hard to make plans (i.e. going out to dinner with friends, going away for a weekend). She's a good worker and likes what she does, but due to the hours she's seriously thinking about quitting once her first year is up.
Yea, ive told my friend that he needs to find another gig...this past sat was the 1st day he had off in 12 days...and that is ridiculous...i hope you friend finds something that is better on her living her life...my friend had to cancel plans all the time because of the random times he would get out of work...when i interned up here, it we would have to make daily plans to chill because you really cant plan time out...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsucesar View Post
Yea, ive told my friend that he needs to find another gig...this past sat was the 1st day he had off in 12 days...and that is ridiculous...i hope you friend finds something that is better on her living her life...my friend had to cancel plans all the time because of the random times he would get out of work...when i interned up here, it we would have to make daily plans to chill because you really cant plan time out...
Yeah, it's the same with her. She worked about 80 hours a week for the past month or so. She was "lucky" to get off a Saturday morning a few weeks ago for us to move, but then had to work until midnight to make up the time. The sad part is that her particular division has the shortest hours out of the whole office. Her personal theory is that it's all a master plan to keep them single, so they don't run off to get married or have babies. Unless all your friends work the same type of schedule, you really can't do anything with them, and you definitely can't plan anything.

Good luck to your friend too.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,870 times
Plenty of internships for entry-leveler's and recent grads, but good luck on getting a job straight up without internship experience. Pay might look good on paper, but you have to consider cost of living.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 PM

181 posts, read 838,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Plenty of internships for entry-leveler's and recent grads, but good luck on getting a job straight up without internship experience. Pay might look good on paper, but you have to consider cost of living.
Fair enough... not sure why you assume no one has internship experience, however. As I already noted, I understand that cost of living will be expensive. I'm willing to accept that I might not be rich by the time I'm 25.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 AM

Yes, it's hard without internship experience, but that didn't stop several of my friends and coworkers. Internships are great, but it's much more important what your major(s) was(were), your academic record, recommendations, and what skills you learned. If you're business/econ, DEFINITELY play up any experience with statistics, econometrics, financial statements, etc. It shows you did more than just show up for class and take a test, and will help with the lack of work experience (which is expected if you're 22/23 and just graduated).

As far as cost of living, yes it's high. But seriously, it's not impossible to survive without making $60k. Especially if you don't have a family to support and can spend all the money on yourself. I've managed perfectly well on less than $40k, don't starve, don't live in a dump, and am able to go out for drinks/dinner, the occasional vacation and enjoy myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC