Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am planning on moving into the District soon, and I need some advice. I've been looking at apartments, and I found a place on the 1400 block of Belmont Street about four blocks from the U Street Metro (green line). I'm a young female, and I am wondering if this area is safe, and if people recommend this neighborhood. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:43 PM

37 posts, read 245,662 times
Hi,

I checked out an apt sort of in that area last Friday (Kalorama I think it was?)and was quite impressed with the neighborhood. I couldn't think of a bad thing to say about it. It was on Belmont too, actually. The landlord had been there for quite a while and said he felt very safe in the area. I thought it very serene, QUIET, beautiful, and close to lots of nice restaurants (and bars). The apt I viewed was really close to a lot of embassies too, which was nice. All in all, I would have chosen this place, had I not found something closer to my graduate school.

Now that I think about, it appeared to be an extremely affluent neighborhood, and you would have noticed this if you had been there, so maybe what I saw is a far stretch from what you're referring to. In any case, if you're looking to spend about 1000/mo, I can forward you the info on this apt, because I'm about to contact the landlord to let him know I've found something a little more convenient.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Be careful about the difference between Belmont Road (Kalorama) and Belmont Street (Meridian Hill). Kalorama is indeed a very nice area. Plenty of people that everyone has heard of live there. Not so much around Meridian Hill, but that area still has much to offer in terms of urban living. I would check it out very carefully (as in day and night) before signing any papers though. Good and not quite so good can be very close together. If possible, take a trusted friend along so you get more than one impression...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM

thanks for sharing the distinction. I really had no idea.

In any case, I have heard great things about U street. And when I drove along it Friday, I thought it a pretty nice. I can certainly see myself in that area. I like the idea of everything being within walking distance, but again that may have something to do with my becoming accustomed to NYC life.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the difference between Belmont Street and Road. The place I'm interested in is definitely in Belmont Street since it's about a block to the right (towards 14th street) of Meridian Hill Park. I've never been to this area before, so I really have no idea what to expect. I just assumed the area was decent since I heard pretty good things about U Street.

enlightened, I'm really interested in hearing about the place you found. I'm feeling a little stressed about this whole DC apartment search, so I'd really appreciate the help.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Yes, the U Street area has come a long way. From pretty much 9th Street to pretty much 16th Street, it's become a nice vibe for those who are at home in an urban environment. The Belmont Street address is about three blocks north of U Street itself, on the far side of Florida Avenue, and just east of Meridian Hill Park. In a definitely oversimplified sense, Meridian Hill is a little too far from the areas that have been progressing the fastest to have been brought along with them. In can still be spotty, so I do think it would be worth checking it out in detail before making any commitment. I think that would pay off either way. I should say that I haven't been up there in person since last September, so I don't know the latest. If I were thinking of moving in, I would want to though...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 PM

no problem. Sent you a private message.

I know the hassle well. What I did is searched craigslist and posted up my own housing wanted ads with very specific criteria since I didn't know much about good vs bad neighborhoods. I sent out emails to places that sounded interesting, and I responded to emails from those who had a good place to offer. I set up an appointment with about 9 different people and drove up to DC for a day to check out each one. No easy task, but it's really the only way you can guarantee you'll get what you want, where you want. I also made sure to have a diversity of neighborhoods to judge for myself how comfortable I would feel commuting to and fro.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the difference between Belmont Street and Road. The place I'm interested in is definitely in Belmont Street since it's about a block to the right (towards 14th street) of Meridian Hill Park. I've never been to this area before, so I really have no idea what to expect. I just assumed the area was decent since I heard pretty good things about U Street.
You kind of have to understand that twenty to twenty-five years ago, U Street was nothing but pimps and drug dealers. Seriously bad area. A whole swath of the north side of DC was just decimated by the riots of 1968, and a lackadaisical Congress (which still ran the city back then -- there was no DC government at all until 1974) just kind of sat back and let it all rot. For those of us who have been in the area for a pretty long time, it's been very nice to see the huge amounts of progress that have been made in the last couple of decades, but that process hasn't been evenly distributed and it isn't entirely complete. You just need to double-check to be sure of your footing in many of these areas. Once you understand a place, making decisions about it is a lot easier. I'm just encouraging you to invest in getting that understanding. :-)

Quote:
enlightened, I'm really interested in hearing about the place you found. I'm feeling a little stressed about this whole DC apartment search, so I'd really appreciate the help.
Everyone feels that way...you have a lot of company. Take some comfort in the idea that people who do their homework almost always make out just fine in the end. DC is a great town with a lot to offer...

Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I am planning on moving into the District soon, and I need some advice. I've been looking at apartments, and I found a place on the 1400 block of Belmont Street about four blocks from the U Street Metro (green line). I'm a young female, and I am wondering if this area is safe, and if people recommend this neighborhood. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks a lot!
5 years later, what was your decision 17th?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC