Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 12:48 PM

85 posts, read 45,620 times

Advertisements

In DC for work semi-frequently and I'll never understand the tourists there. Surely there are less expensive places to be bored and underwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 12:51 PM

45,364 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
In DC for work semi-frequently and I'll never understand the tourists there. Surely there are less expensive places to be bored and underwhelmed.
I somewhat agree with you. But, like anywhere, what you see every day and consider blasé is new and exciting for someone from elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:57 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Expensive?

Bored and underwhelmed sounds more like a personality flaw, perhaps indicative of a generation unable to fixate on anything of "interest" beyond video gaming and theme parks.

The Smithsonian's eighteen museums, National Zoo, White House, US Capitol, Supreme Court, FBI Building, National Archives, US Treasury and varying DC monuments offer free admission. Those inclined to outdoor recreation have miles of hiking, running and cycling trails along with Rock Creek Park or Potomac River activities. Hotels are on par with any other major US city with deals found across the VA state line near Metro stations for easy in/out access. Restaurants run the gamut from cheap national chains to better yet cheap local ethnic restaurants offering delicious Vietnamese, El Salvadoran, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian and many other nationalities and plenty of excellent mid-range options that won't break the bank.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:01 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Expensive?

Bored and underwhelmed sounds more like a personality flaw, perhaps indicative of a generation unable to fixate on anything of "interest" beyond video gaming and theme parks.

The Smithsonian's eighteen museums, National Zoo, White House, US Capitol, Supreme Court, FBI Building, National Archives, US Treasury and varying DC monuments offer free admission. Those inclined to outdoor recreation have miles of hiking, running and cycling trails along with Rock Creek Park or Potomac River activities. Hotels are on par with any other major US city with deals found across the VA state line near Metro stations for easy in/out access. Restaurants run the gamut from cheap national chains to better yet cheap local ethnic restaurants offering delicious Vietnamese, El Salvadoran, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian and many other nationalities and plenty of excellent mid-range options that won't break the bank.
Yes, I always have sticker shock when I go to museums in other cities. We are very, very spoiled here.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
D.C. zoo is kinda meh though. I go semi-frequently - because it's the one we have here - but it's at best average in terms of the variety of animals and the displays. Definitely not a reason for anyone to come to D.C. specifically, more something to do if you're already here and like zoos.

The fact it's free and people can just walk in off the street also has definitely led to some crime issues. Not so much that you'd feel unsafe as a rule, but I've definitely seen more than enough folks in there who clearly weren't there because they wanted to enjoy the animals.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
DC is a great place to visit! All the tourist areas are great. The really bad areas are not places tourists would seek out at all.
i agree with this. tourist areas are plenty safe, in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:15 AM

382 posts, read 158,552 times
Saying DC is an expensive tourist city is sorta silly. It actually can be one of the cheapest cities to visit. As mentioned, many of the museums and attractions are free. Metro is cheap, especially on weekends. You don’t need to stay at a hotel in actual DC either. DC is small, can easily stay at a cheaper hotel in NoVa and take a less than 20 min train in.

Dining out is like anywhere…you can find expensive or reasonable. Also, so many different areas you can just walk around for free and take in the scenery, people, etc. You also don’t need to rent a car and have 2-3 airport options to price shop flights.

Saying DC is an expensive city to visit is just completely inaccurate.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:01 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Expensive?

I agree. I can't say that I've ever heard someone refer to DC as "boring," but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Old 07-05-2023, 11:11 AM

304 posts, read 237,930 times
"Boring" doesn't fit at all. Maybe after multiple visits "we've seen pretty much all of it" would apply, but "boring" doesn't fit.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:44 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
To be specific, I will be in the National Mall area where I will be going to the Air and Space Museum, National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of American History, etc. So how safe is this area now?
DC is safe to visit.

I don't anyone who visited DC say they didn't enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: