Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,011,415 times

Advertisements

we will be spending a 4 day weekend in the DC area. Can someone please post some good places to eat that would be family friendly (3 kids) and not chain style places. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 PM

112 posts, read 804,192 times
Hmmmm .... this may be tougher than it sounds. I'm no restaurant critic, but I'm going to generalize by saying that D.C. dining establishments fall in the following categories: Ethnic, Upscale, Drinking Places, and (the notorious) Chains. There's a subcategory of places that cater to the tremendous lunch-only crowds.

By "DC area," I'll assume you will include Virginia, which I know a little better. You might want to try the Royal Restaurant on St. Asaph St. in Alexandria. Also in NOVA there's a family-owned business, "Five Guys Burgers and Fries." They are becoming franchised but have maintained their quality and it's a fun place to go. Some of the museum restaurants are decent, such as the Atrium cafe at the Museum of Natural History. Here's a link to the Washingtonian Magazine's dining guide. You can do a search on things such as "Kid/Family friendly". Maybe this will be useful:

http://www.washingtonian.com/RestaurantFinder.html

Bon Appetite!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:38 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,011,415 times
Thank you! We will check out the link.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,925,324 times
Check out "Two Amys", a wood-fired pizza place in NW DC. It is very low-key and family-friendly, but does not take reservations, so you need to go EARLY.
Most of the museum restaurants are over-priced, but you could try the "waterfall" cafeteria at the National Gallery of Art (it's located between the east and west buildings, underground) The best gelato in DC is available there -- definitely worth it.
Jaleo is a tapas place near the Verizon center downtown. I've seen plenty of young families there, but it's best to go early as it tends to get crowded later in the evening. It's not cheap if you keep ordering more small plates....

Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 PM

112 posts, read 804,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Check out "Two Amys", a wood-fired pizza place in NW DC. It is very low-key and family-friendly, but does not take reservations, so you need to go EARLY.
Sounds nice, hope I can try it sometime

Most of the museum restaurants are over-priced, but you could try the "waterfall" cafeteria at the National Gallery of Art (it's located between the east and west buildings, underground) The best gelato in DC is available there -- definitely worth it.
I've walked by it, like a million others, but never took the time to dine there
Most of the museum dining is pretty grim; the Air & Space Museum's dining area is like an industrial-mall food court. I worked for awhile near Capitol Hill when the new Museum of the American Indian opened. The dining room there is a little different and family-friendly, although as you say, pricey. It's an "Anglo-cised" version of North American foods including some traditional American Indian items. Perhaps worth a try if you are visiting that museum, esp. in the winter when crowds are light.

Another possibility; there's a food court in a downtown building called National Place, downstairs from National Press Club, 14th and F or somewhere around there. A few good vendors, the usual food court atmosphere. A similar food court set-up in the lower level of the Ronald Reagan Building, you need photo I.D.s to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC