Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 03:21 AM

26 posts, read 103,214 times

Advertisements

I may be transferring to the D.C. area soon; should I go through with the opportunity, I'll have the option of taking over the lease of a colleague's apartment on Q St. near Montrose Park and the Oak Hill cemetery - is this generally a safe place to inhabit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 AM

104 posts, read 253,006 times
Depends on what you define as "safe." Where are you coming from? What type of neighborhood are you used to living in? Best thing would be to visit the area at different times of the day and night, talk to some residents there, and follow your gut.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 AM

228 posts, read 920,211 times
Actually Montrose Park and Oak Hill are near Q St NW (not SE) - this is upper Georgetown and it's a very nice, safe area. Montrose Park is a great destination for summer tennis or just reading a book. Lucky you!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Yes, Q Street SE and Q Street NW are VERY different areas. Q Street NW, as others noted, is in Georgetown and is a great location. Q Street SE...well, not so much.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 AM

26 posts, read 103,214 times
My apologies - I indeed meant N.W., sorry for the posting the complete opposite!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,085 times
Yes, it is very safe. I lived on Q Street (31st) for a number of years. Q does have some bus traffic (which can be loud) should you face Q Street with your apartment. Parking is, well, Georgetown, so it can be bad (though on Q you don't seem to get as much of the 'nightlife crowd' more of the folks from O & P looking for spots because the nightlife crowd took their street parking.

Now, that said, it's the city. Do something stupid and there are 'opportunity' criminals who will take advantage of you. iPod on the dashboard of the car, well goodbye. Open doors to your house while you are away. Not a good idea. Walking around in a drunken stupor at 3 am, something can happen. I think there was one murder in the last five years at 31st and Q but that was considered sort of a random thing.

Man Slain In Attack on Couple in Georgetown - washingtonpost.com

As far as the city goes, this is one of the safer places you will find. But, it is the city.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,863 times
about as dangerous as mayberry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC