Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,322 times

Advertisements

I'd feel safer at 600 Maryland. Good bbq down the way at 8th, and not that far to Eastern Market or the few restaurants on the Senate side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM

69 posts, read 162,728 times
What about Kingstowne (I think that is in Alexandria). That is on the higher end of my budget, but is still in the running!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
Kingstowne is nice, but completely and entirely different than the other two places you mentioned. There it's mostly suburban developments and few shopping centers. You'd definitely need a car, and depending on where you are you might need to drive to the metro. If you're fine with that and would enjoy a suburban atmosphere, it's a good area. If you want more of an urban, metro-accessible experience, you'll be disappointed. Also, keep in mind that it'll take you at least 30 minutes to get into DC.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:01 PM

13 posts, read 81,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
That's your opinion, which you are welcome to...but I for one feel safer at 1st and T than I do at 1st and M, for example, regardless of how many coffee shops or yoga studios there are. I do believe it is improving though.
Hmm... M? Who said anything about "M"? FYI: M Street NW is not in Bloomingdale.

See this website for factual information, rather than opinion:

www.bloomingdaledc.org

Note that nothing south of FL Ave is in Bloomingdale.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCoffee View Post
Hi all!
Thanks for your help. The place on Maryland Ave is in the 600 Block, NE.
I didn't know this would be such a challenge, finding housing! I am very glad to be able to come to this forum!
Just off Stanton Park. That's an excellent area. Quite safe (but still urban). Lots of young singles and young families. Lots of dogs. Cafe Berlin and Two Quails are at the other end of the park, on Mass Ave on the way down to Union Station where lots of other food and shops and theaters are. Also the Metro if you need it. Other Metro is at Eastern Market which is also an easy enough walk with plenty of interesting things along 8th Street just beyond that. I would definitely go the MD Ave route over Eckington. Also over Kingstowne, which is a nice enough place, but it's basically a suburban young family mecca, and you'd have to deal with the ride in from Franconia-Springfield. Not sure where you'd be headed, but to get to Capital South for instance would be almost 45 minutes and $4.30 each way.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoreese View Post
Hmm... M? Who said anything about "M"? FYI: M Street NW is not in Bloomingdale.

See this website for factual information, rather than opinion:

www.bloomingdaledc.org

Note that nothing south of FL Ave is in Bloomingdale.
In my statement that you responded to:

Quote:
the northern areas of Bloomingdale/Eckington/Truxton Circle are largely improved and, for the most part, safe neighborhoods. As development in and around NoMa continues, you'll see the southern ends of those neighborhoods start to turn as well...although that is still a few years off, assuming development continues in the current economic environment, which is no certainty.
I was not referring only to Bloomingdale, and wasn't espousing "opinion" about neighborhood boundaries--which are largely semantics (it's not as if the Truxton Circle criminal element magically decides to turn around at Florida Ave.). The address that the original poster was referencing is in the 100 block of Quincy. Technically in Bloomingdale, yes, but also at the confluence of three neighborhoods: Bloomingdale, Eckington and Truxton Circle. I was merely stating my opinion that I feel safer the farther north I go. North Cap Street through this area is pretty much crap; it's not as bad once you get north of Rhode Island.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Well, I didn't get the one on Maryland Avenue, the owner very rudely let me know that he'd had applicants he could "actually meet" (I'm in Florida), and that "were better than me". Well, fine then!

So, I am still considering the Quincy place, as the owner contacted me again. Is there a general consensus that this one is a "no"? It's the 100 Block of Quincy Ave, near 1st street!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:13 AM

13 posts, read 81,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
In my statement that you responded to:
You casually tossed out a reference to M St. in response to my mention of Bloomingdale, when I was clearly talking about Bloomingdale and only Bloomingdale. M St. is nowhere near Bloomingdale.

To the original poster, here are some blogs written by bloggers who live in Bloomingdale (north of FL Ave and south of Rhode Island Ave):

bloomingdale (for now) and

bloomingdale

They are both in Bloomingdale, above FL Ave and in the area about which I was referring to, and is nowhwere near M St. Remember, neighborhoods change from block to block, so it is possible that self-appointed gurus of DC could be unaware of the true nature of various neighborhoods.

Here is a link to a Flickr photoset that contains images of the Bloomingdale Farmer's Market, which runs from May through November every year on the 100 Block of R St. NW (adjacent to the Big Bear Cafe)

IMG_7403 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (I'm the tall guy on the very left of the first photo, facing away from the camera)

Quincy PL NW is a block away from the Farmer's Market and Big Bear Cafe; the cafe which hosts art shows, movie screenings, poetry readings, etc. It is also near Yoga District, Timor Market, Windows Market & Cafe, City Dry Cleaners, the upcoming Baraki restaurant, and the upcoming (but very slow to arrive) Engine Company 12 Firehouse restaurant.

It is also home to this gallery, which has hosted live musical events recently: Upcoming Events

I own a home on the unit block of R NW, one block from all this, and I've been here for five years. I walk to the Metro every day (redline and/or green & yellow) and I've never had a problem. I encourage you to walk down the Unit block of R St. NW to get a feel for what Bloomingdale is really like. Here is a Google maps view:

r st nw 20001 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/5hm9m4 - broken link)

Some closing shots:

Windows Cafe & Market: windows on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://tinyurl.com/5hv6yj - broken link)
Farmer's Market, R St NW, typical day: IMG_7420 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://tinyurl.com/62m3pl - broken link)

Old 12-12-2008, 11:55 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
I believe the place in question is on the Eckington side...1st St and Quincy Pl NE, not NW. Not sure I'd label it an outright "no" myself...just would have taken the Md Ave spot over it for sure.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks! I'm making notes here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC