Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 61,235 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I may be getting an offer from a firm in the DC metro area. I was hoping you could help figure out which neighborhood to relocate to. I'm 25 years old so I would like to be in an area that has young professionals living there -- and close to the night life, nothing sleazy though...just fun bars/lounges/clubs. I want to live IN the city just so I can have access to the cosmopolitan events that happen only in cities. After doing lots of research, it seems that something near the red line would be nice -- friendship, chevy, adams, dupont, cleveland -- do you all agree that those are the best places? I was raised near Boston and lived out in Europe for 3 years, so the cost of living shouldn't be surprising to me, but I also don't want to pay $2000/month just for a studio. I was hoping to get a 1 bedroom in a good, safe neighborhood. How much would that run? I understand the closer I am to the metro, the more I'd pay -- so to ask another question, would I need to bring my car? I heard the traffic is atrocious there -- and if my job site is on the red line and I live close or on the same line, would I still need to bring my own private transport? I travel to NYC all the time and have realized that public transport is the way to go. Save on insurance, gas, maintainance, and I assume -- parking. What would you recommend though?

So basically, a good neighborhood for a 25yr old...and would I need to bring my car there?

I appreciate the help! And who knows, I might run into some of you soon!

--nks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 PM

26 posts, read 98,129 times
Go for any of the following:
Dupont Circle
Adams Morgan
Cleveland Park
Georgetown
U Street
Capitol Hill (more laid back but perhaps the prettiest neighborhood in the city)

Other nice areas, but less "urban":
Arlington (Courthouse and Clarendon)
Old Town Alexandria
Bethesda & Friendship Heights

There are other good areas too, but not if you want to ditch the car. All of the above listed parts of the city have lots of young professionals and ready access to DC's great nightlife.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times
check out Woodley Park

right on the metro, you won't want to have a car there, some older buildings there with modestly reasonable rents

Old 12-14-2008, 04:11 PM

19 posts, read 61,235 times
thank you to the both of you. i'll be in the area this week and hopefully will find a good deal in one of your recommended neighborhoods.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,781 times
Dude ... having lived in DC's gorgeous Georgetown area, it comes highly recommended. Anywhere in the NW/SW sections in DC should be checked out. Besides, nearby Maryland or Virignia 20 minutes away. I would not consider taking a car ... for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC