Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,189 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with any of the grocery stores in the DC area except for Safeway and was wondering if there is one that is generally considered the cheapest across the board? I've been to Shopper's Warehouse and Giant so far and thought that Shopper's Warehouse would have been cheaper but I found a lot of the same items cheaper at Giant. However, some other items were very outrageously priced. I normally shop multiple stores for the sales but doubt that I'm going to have time for that anymore. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Shoppers has the lowest prices overall, but oftentimes the sales at Giant, Safeway, or Harris Teeter will be better than the Shoppers everyday price.

I think that, if you're not going to shop for the sales, on average, Shoppers will be the cheapest.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM

There were a couple of articles in the Post last year about this also:

Grocery Shopping Deals: Who Has Them? - Shop To It

Sorry SFW, Giant is Still Cheaper - Shop To It

They found Giant to have the best prices overall while Shoppers had the best regular prices. In my experience, Giant having the lowest prices overall hasn't been the case. It really depends on what's on sale in each store in any given week.

There was also this from WTOP that showed Costco being cheaper than any of the grocery stores (duh). Bottom Dollar was the cheapest grocery (don't have any of those near me), followed by Wegmans (ditto). Macgruders and Shoppers were next cheapest, and Safeway, Giant, and Harris Teeter were all tied as the most expensive normal grocery stores.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=766&sid=1604204

Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 34,750 times
Yes, Shoppers is pretty much on the low end, but for CHEAP, I think the Aldi stores (I believe there's one right in Alexandria) and Global Foods (I think that's what it's called), in Woodbridge are pretty cheap.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 PM

There is an Aldi with an Alexandria address, but it's on Route 1 down near Fort Belvoir. There's no Aldi near the City of Alexandria.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
There is an Aldi with an Alexandria address, but it's on Route 1 down near Fort Belvoir. There's no Aldi near the City of Alexandria.
Oooh I've heard of that being quite cheap. A little far, but maybe I could manage a once-a-month trip down there.
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC