Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 PM

63 posts, read 238,536 times

Advertisements

I'm so torn. Part of me wants to move back to NY but I think I'd have more job options in DC and the allure/challenge of a new city is interesting. I'm also worried about whether or not I'd like DC. I know the option to leave would be there but the older I get, the less I enjoy the idea of moving often.

For people who've made the move, how did you decide on DC versus (insert city)? Do you regret your decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM

330 posts, read 878,507 times
I made the move from the SF Bay Area to DC due to career opportunities. And it was the right choice. I didn't like the first job I accepted so I put my resume on the market. I got several calls and within a week I was employed somewhere else - where I'm pretty happy.

The traffic sux! It's worse than the SF Bay Area. It also lacks the mountains and ocean, but makes up for it in other areas. Especially in its lush green environment. It feels like a lush green forest compard to the west coast.

I really like DC proper. I also love NYC, which is fours hours away. Baltimore is a nice change, but I wouldn't consider Baltimore as a reason to move here.

This past winter kind of sucked with the cold and lack of sunshine, but the money was coming in and that made the sun shine from the inside versus outside.

In summary, there are many career opportunities here in DC, and it has a lot of people from many parts of the world. The definite downer is the traffic. The weather is not exactly perfect, but you can deal with it as long as you have money coming in. Otherwise if money wasn't coming in my way I'd be out of this area in a heartbeat and would be back to California. Not that California is the greatest, but it makes up for its lack of by great weather and scenery.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 PM

658 posts, read 1,894,499 times
I came here for the red haired girls and the metal, but I have been let down..but, I do enjoy playing all the indoor soccer. I like the snow and the proximity to the hills to snowboard, so I thought the winter was just fine. I am ready to sweat now though.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,189 times
Well it was really easy for me...GW offered me a 50% fellowship for grad school. Good luck making your decision. Out of curiousity, you said "back to NY"...where are you living now?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
I visited here a couple of times and essentially fell in love with the city. The aesthetic beauty, the big city amenities without the feeling of getting lost in an ocean of people, the greenery and abundant parkland, the embarassment of riches the city has in terms of cultural amenities, the enjoyable neighborhoods, the Metro system, the job market...it's one of the handful of U.S. cities I feel particularly attached to.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
My main decision was between home (Philadelphia) and here, but really it wasn't much of a decision. I didn't want to move "home" yet and it was easier for me to get a job here in a field I actually wanted. I like the city, the job opportunities, and the weather isn't so bad. I also went to school in Virginia and love the general area (VA, Eastern shore, MD, west to the mountains, etc).

Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM

63 posts, read 238,536 times
I'm finishing up school in OK.

How did you find apartments?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regina george View Post
How did you find apartments?
Apartments.com, Rent.com, and Craigslist. I also looked on some realtor's sites, but in the end didn't get any of those.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 PM

83 posts, read 484,195 times
I was commuting from DE for school every weekend for a year, and I got very tired of it. I had so much fun in DC, and I grew up in a big city where cars were not needed. I knew I could walk every where in DC, and I loved that idea. I quit my job (before market crashed) and became a graduate assistant and student. Life hasn't been the same since!! I feel like I belong Good luck finding your place!!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:47 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regina george View Post
I'm so torn. Part of me wants to move back to NY but I think I'd have more job options in DC and the allure/challenge of a new city is interesting. I'm also worried about whether or not I'd like DC. I know the option to leave would be there but the older I get, the less I enjoy the idea of moving often.

For people who've made the move, how did you decide on DC versus (insert city)? Do you regret your decision?
Depending on your field, you may indeed have more job options in DC than NY (or anywhere else). It is not like the recession is not being felt here. It definitely is. But from all accounts it is far less severe than in other cities.

I have lived in several different cities and DC has a lot to offer. I suppose the biggest draw is that it is the seat of government, and if you work in the federal government it is a great place to be. On the other hand, I feel like a lot of people believe (and perhaps rightfully so) that it falls short of America's glamour cities (NYC, SF, Chicago, Seattle, San Diego) in terms of overall vibe and quality of life. I also think that folks from smaller cities tend to view DC as both too expensive and too elitist (based mostly on the fact that so many people who work in DC are smart and well-credentialed--it often feels like you need a graduate degree to get a job at a Starbucks).

Overall, DC is not a perfect place. But it is better than most (in terms of jobs and culture; and it is underrated in terms of outdoor activities). When you factor in the economy, you may find that to be a deciding factor.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC