Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 AM

60 posts, read 64,334 times

Advertisements

I'm a single white woman who lived in the DC metro area for a year when I was 23; the dating scene was awful then. Ladies, please tell me that it's gotten better. Would moving to our nation's capitol guarantee that I will never get married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Ummm its worse. You'll find a ton of smart people but everybody is smug and elitist..... DC great for dating but terrible for marriage...

Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 AM

238 posts, read 228,013 times
Girl, I'm very sorry to say, it is SLIM PICKINS. NO semi decent male is available. All that are left are the crazies and closeted and not so closeted gay guys. Seriously consider another area if you are looking for a mate.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Girl, I'm very sorry to say, it is SLIM PICKINS. NO semi decent male is available. All that are left are the crazies and closeted and not so closeted gay guys. Seriously consider another area if you are looking for a mate.
The DC area does have a significant gay community, but more to the point, where are these other areas that you think 40-year old bachelors looking for a relationship are somehow flocking to? If you were one, where would you go? Montana? My guess would be a big city area...maybe a diverse one...like maybe DC or someplace like that...

Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM

238 posts, read 228,013 times
Well sagan, it appears you've followed me to yet another discussion area. I would suggest that if the pp is seriously looking for a mate, that YES she move to an area such as Alaska which traditionally has a higher number of available males than females. Any of the areas which have more men.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well sagan, it appears you've followed me to yet another discussion area.
You flatter yourself.

Quote:
I would suggest that if the pp is seriously looking for a mate, that YES she move to an area such as Alaska which traditionally has a higher number of available males than females. Any of the areas which have more men.
Your advice is that she move to Alaska? Have you ever been to Alaska? Ever been out for a night on the town there in say, January? Any idea why there are relatively few females there to begin with? Did you factor in that Fairfax County alone has about 60% more males in it than the entire state of Alaska? And if you wanted simply to rely on a high male-to-female ratio, you know you could have sent her off to Ft. Lauderdale...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
This may sound dumb, but is any place really ever recommended by people as being "good" for dating? It seems to me that no one ever says "oh, the dating scene in (insert city here) is GREAT!" However, people always slam a city's dating scene. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps, it's just due to the nature of dating in the sense that if someone out there has lived in a city for one year and after three months, met someone who became their fiance, they're unlikely to say the city is great for dating because they didn't really date around. If someone is in a city for one year and during that one year, they go out with 10 guys and the 10th guy is the keeper, they're unlikely to say the city is good for dating because they had nine failures, even IF the fact that they were even able to find 10 suitable guys to date should show the contrary. If someone is in a city for one year and has gone on dates with 15 guys with nothing coming of them, they too are likely to pan a city's dating scene, focusing on the fact that they can't find any quality guys. And then of course, there's people who live in a city for a year and don't go out on a single date who will claim that there's just a dearth of a selection.

I'm not sure if I explained that well, but the gist of what I was saying is that I don't think you'll ever hear anyone praise a city as being a dating hotbed brimming with quality men and women. I think if finding a quality mate is of the utmost importance in relocating, the best thing to do is figure out what qualities in a mate you may like, and then search out areas of the country where you are more likely to find someone who shares these qualities. It's a numbers game. For example, if you would only date someone who is liberal and secular, perhaps concentrate on areas like Seattle or San Francisco. If you're someone who loves the outdoors, perhaps Colorado; and so forth. Otherwise, I think every city is fairly similar.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
bargainmom, Saganista. Stop it. Discuss the topic, not each other. Please.
Yac.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 AM

68 posts, read 732,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
This may sound dumb, but is any place really ever recommended by people as being "good" for dating? It seems to me that no one ever says "oh, the dating scene in (insert city here) is GREAT!" However, people always slam a city's dating scene. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps, it's just due to the nature of dating in the sense that if someone out there has lived in a city for one year and after three months, met someone who became their fiance, they're unlikely to say the city is great for dating because they didn't really date around. If someone is in a city for one year and during that one year, they go out with 10 guys and the 10th guy is the keeper, they're unlikely to say the city is good for dating because they had nine failures, even IF the fact that they were even able to find 10 suitable guys to date should show the contrary. If someone is in a city for one year and has gone on dates with 15 guys with nothing coming of them, they too are likely to pan a city's dating scene, focusing on the fact that they can't find any quality guys. And then of course, there's people who live in a city for a year and don't go out on a single date who will claim that there's just a dearth of a selection.

I'm not sure if I explained that well, but the gist of what I was saying is that I don't think you'll ever hear anyone praise a city as being a dating hotbed brimming with quality men and women. I think if finding a quality mate is of the utmost importance in relocating, the best thing to do is figure out what qualities in a mate you may like, and then search out areas of the country where you are more likely to find someone who shares these qualities. It's a numbers game. For example, if you would only date someone who is liberal and secular, perhaps concentrate on areas like Seattle or San Francisco. If you're someone who loves the outdoors, perhaps Colorado; and so forth. Otherwise, I think every city is fairly similar.
The thing I wonder about in regards to dating in DC is whether someone moving there even has the TIME to date!

When many people there have commutes of 90 minute to 2 hours (each way), when does that leave much time for dating?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man View Post
The thing I wonder about in regards to dating in DC is whether someone moving there even has the TIME to date!
When many people there have commutes of 90 minute to 2 hours (each way), when does that leave much time for dating?
Let's see...I can work you in this Thursday between 2:00 and 2:30. Would you like to go grab a bowl of soup at Au Bon Pain???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC