Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM

28 posts, read 67,858 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

The title says it all. I am excited about getting a great job opportunity in downtown DC. I am looking for rental options (including rent-to-own) and have a MAX budget of $1500/month (and really would like to save a few hundred off of that if possible).

Regarding transportation, I have a car, but intend to commute by metro or bus. I am trying to keep the commute under an hour, but will consider options with a longer metro ride if it'll save me a substantial amount of money.

Also, I am looking for a place that is near a college that my wife can take the entire pre-health sequence. A good community college or a public university would be ideal. A 15 to 20 minute commute to the school by car, I assume, should be very doable.

Lastly, I have a 2 year old. Because of this, I need a 2 bedroom that preferrably is a bit spacious so he can run around. Also, I am looking for an area with good quality public education.

Other than that, you can imagine that I'd prefer to live in a safe and clean environment suitable for a young family.

I appreciate any tips and advice, whether you are suggesting some areas that might work out for me, or some areas that definitely would not work for me.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 PM

Something else I felt important to add. We are not the type of family that is accustomed to the perfect suburban life -- far from it. Thus far we've bounced around apartments and neighborhoods of varying quality. And are just looking for a good place to settle down.

Regarding the rent-to-own, I am OK with fixer-up as I know this is a good way to save a good chunk of change now and later.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:30 AM

188 posts, read 670,511 times
I would say check out towns along the Orange Line in Virginia. The public schools down there are very good, there are at least two state universities and one community college nearby (george mason, marymount and NOVA respectively), and the areas around these metro stops are pretty much universally safe.

Quote:
We are not the type of family that is accustomed to the perfect suburban life -- far from it. Thus far we've bounced around apartments and neighborhoods of varying quality. And are just looking for a good place to settle down.
If you're looking for something less suburban I would say check around the Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon, Courthouse or Rosslyn metro stations on the Orange line, although it might be hard to fit those areas into your price range.

If budget is more of an issue try looking farther into the suburbs. Prices generally go down the farther out you go, although metro access also becomes more of an issue. I would also recommend checking out the VRE (Rail service in Virginia - VRE) which is the Virginia side of DC regional rail. If all you need the metro for is getting into and out of the city for work then living in a more suburban location near one of these rail stops could be a good option.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Well it sounds like a tall order to be quite honest. Living near the metro is expensive. I agree that maybe the VRE would be a better option. When i think affordable family friendly place with VRE I think Burke.

NOVA community college is nearby too. VRE has free parking and it would take less than an hour to get to L'Enfant Plaza. Burke is really affordable and family oriented too. Your wife could take you to the VRE or since it has free parking you could drive and park. Burke also has good schools and there's lots of trees. As far as rent to own I'm not too sure. If $1500 is your budget that'll get you a $200K condo which isn't out of the question but it's on the lower end of real estate for sure around here.

Burke is very very suburban the epitome of suburbia really. I personally like trees and safe communities some people want excitement. Now Alexandria is an option. There's a number of high rises some are really nice some are not you have to go with what works for you.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
I would say check out towns along the Orange Line in Virginia. The public schools down there are very good, there are at least two state universities and one community college nearby (george mason, marymount and NOVA respectively), and the areas around these metro stops are pretty much universally safe.

If budget is more of an issue try looking farther into the suburbs. Prices generally go down the farther out you go, although metro access also becomes more of an issue. I would also recommend checking out the VRE (Rail service in Virginia - VRE) which is the Virginia side of DC regional rail. If all you need the metro for is getting into and out of the city for work then living in a more suburban location near one of these rail stops could be a good option.
Thank you for your reply.

I have checked out the VRE (its site is much more difficult to navigate compared to the Metro's). So long as I am near a rail line (or even a bus line if it will be one direct bus if it'll take me near 9th and Pennsylvania NW)

The main issue is that I have quite a few expenditures in my immediate future that prevent me from spending too much on my housing, thus I am not considering purchasing, even though it is something i want to do as soon as I can take care some of my other obligations.

I know the formula is that the further out you go, the cheaper it gets.

Is the College Park/Greenbelt area something that might work for me?

I've read good things about Rockville, what about Shady Grove?

Is Vienna/Fairfax affordable in the 1200-1300 range or am I going to have to go out even further than these areas to get into that range for a 2 bedroom house/apt/rowhouse?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
You'll definitely have to go further out than Vienna/Fairfax to get a 2 bedroom for 1200-1300. Unfortunately, even 15 miles west of the Vienna metro most 2 bedroom apartments are more expensive than that. You may be able to find a place in an old garden apartment building in Chantilly (10 miles west of the metro) for what you are asking, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Rockville prices will be on par with Fairfax, as will the rest of Montgomery County (N of DC). Greenbelt and the other metro stations in Prince George's County (E of DC) will be cheaper, but I don't know the exact figures. I would stick to looking in Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Largo and New Carrollton, though. Prince George's County has a worse reputation than it deserves, but there are definitely pockets I would not recommend. Like College Park (but only because I've been cheering against UMD for over a decade).

Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM

47 posts, read 158,354 times
I'd agree w/ the Orange Line recommendation.

While the Courthouse/Clarendon area will most likely be out of your price range (unless you live ~1 mile from the metro), you might have some good luck in the Falls Church area.

two tips I have:

-you'll probably be able to find a better value for the $$ by looking on Craigslist for an apartment. I used to live in a 2BR about 2/3 mile from the Clarendon metro, and it was a 3-story house that had been converted into three 2BR apartments (1 on each floor). Sure, the tall apartment complex towers are nice, but they do charge a lot of extra fees like parking, amenities, etc. that you could avoid by renting from a private owner like this.

-you should also consider looking for a "1 bedroom + den" apartment. While the den might not be large enough for a teenager's bedroom, it would be just right for your 2 year old. These are generally cheaper than a full 2-bedroom apt.

Welcome to the area!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
One thing you could look at would be an apartment in somebody's basement they tend to be cheaper.

There are homes to be had in that price range but inside the beltway they're not going to be very nice. The further you're willing to drive the more affordable the apartments. Prince William county is an option you could take a commuter bus like omni into the city but you'll have an hour plus commute though.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
You'll definitely have to go further out than Vienna/Fairfax to get a 2 bedroom for 1200-1300. Unfortunately, even 15 miles west of the Vienna metro most 2 bedroom apartments are more expensive than that. You may be able to find a place in an old garden apartment building in Chantilly (10 miles west of the metro) for what you are asking, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Rockville prices will be on par with Fairfax, as will the rest of Montgomery County (N of DC). Greenbelt and the other metro stations in Prince George's County (E of DC) will be cheaper, but I don't know the exact figures. I would stick to looking in Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Largo and New Carrollton, though. Prince George's County has a worse reputation than it deserves, but there are definitely pockets I would not recommend. Like College Park (but only because I've been cheering against UMD for over a decade).
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. I was getting the idea that west and north of DC are more expensive and that I would have to live a significant distance from the metro in these areas to sniff my price range. While I am still considering further out west where the VRE gives service, I still want to keep the commuting time below an hour each way.

The College Park/Greenbelt area has seemed like an attractive option because of its proximity to UMD (no offense, my wife just needs to go back to school!) and the fact that the green/yellow lines provide almost direct service to my future work.

What about the Alexandria/Springfield area along 495? Does that area seem like it might be a good fit for me?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweet View Post
I'd agree w/ the Orange Line recommendation.

While the Courthouse/Clarendon area will most likely be out of your price range (unless you live ~1 mile from the metro), you might have some good luck in the Falls Church area.

two tips I have:

-you'll probably be able to find a better value for the $$ by looking on Craigslist for an apartment. I used to live in a 2BR about 2/3 mile from the Clarendon metro, and it was a 3-story house that had been converted into three 2BR apartments (1 on each floor). Sure, the tall apartment complex towers are nice, but they do charge a lot of extra fees like parking, amenities, etc. that you could avoid by renting from a private owner like this.

-you should also consider looking for a "1 bedroom + den" apartment. While the den might not be large enough for a teenager's bedroom, it would be just right for your 2 year old. These are generally cheaper than a full 2-bedroom apt.

Welcome to the area!
Great advice! My family and I do not mind putting in a bit of elbow grease into our residence. And I agree with your observation that the complexes tend to be pricier, but the best value can be found from private owners (from my experiences in Illinois).

I've been scouring craigslist every now and am hopeful I will find something good. If you have any more tips or resources that helped you, don't be shy Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: