Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,660 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am getting ready to relocate from Orange County, CA to McLean, VA (corp. office), though I will be working primarily in the District. I was initially considering moving to NoVA because I through the cost of living would be a lot less than the District (wrong!). I have always lived in the suburbs and really want to experience living in the city with all it has to offer. I really want to get as far away as I can from strip malls and drive thrus (i.e. most of NoVA).

I need your help to find out the right area for me. Basically, this is what I'm looking for:

a) Walking distance to a metro stop
b) Safe enough to walk around without (much) fear at night
c) Close to good shops and restaurants
d) A good piece of city atmosphere - in the midst of the action
e) Wouldn't mind an area that is reasonable "trendy" - not a top priority though.

And can all this be accomplished with a $1400/month budget for a 1BR that isn't infested with roaches? If I'm way out of touch with prices, that's alright - I'm not against getting a roommate just so long as I can live in an area that meets these specs. I hope there's an area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 PM

429 posts, read 1,116,803 times
Do you mean that you're overall budget is $1400/mo or is that what you have allocated towards rent every month? Cuz you won't find anything decent with that kind of salary if you plan to live alone.

Some suggestions from me would be Columbia Heights (lots of nearby shopping!), and Silver Spring.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
Do you mean that you're overall budget is $1400/mo or is that what you have allocated towards rent every month? Cuz you won't find anything decent with that kind of salary if you plan to live alone.

Some suggestions from me would be Columbia Heights (lots of nearby shopping!), and Silver Spring.
I took it to mean that he/she has budgeted $1400/mo in rent, in which case it is doable. You won't be living in Dupont or Georgetown, but a Columbia Heights/H Street/Waterfront-type of location should be within your reach.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM

220 posts, read 704,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
since he's new to town i wouldn't recommend that area. its safe during the day and theres plenty of shopping but the area still has too many gang issues.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM

220 posts, read 704,207 times
you mentioned that you want the city life, but with a 1400 a month budget i would recommend downtown Silver Spring, its right outside of DC in Montgomery County, MD it has everything the city has to offer and plenty of diversity as well as good public transportation to Downtown DC, Prince George's County, and other areas of Montgomery County.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
I love DC and have lived in various parts of the District for 20 years; around Logan Circle for the last 8 years, and it's been amazing. I'm less than a 30-minute walk from everything: Smithsonians, Penn Quarter, K Street/Connective Ave corridor, Adams Morgan, Georgetown (well, the very eastern end of it); plus, I can shoot down 9th street to 395 and get out of the city to shop in NoVa very easily. Highly recommend it.
However, I'd definitely recommend the Clarendon area in Arlington for a young professional. You'll be very close to DC via Metro but also have lots of nightlife around you. Plus, income taxes will be way lower in VA; your car insurance will be half in VA vs DC.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:09 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
I also recommend Columbia Heights. Kenyon Square, Highland, that area there. You've got a mini-mall in the area, some restaurants, and the metro is right there. They opened up a Chipotle at Kenyon Square last week. You'll be fine. If you're walking out on the streets at 3 AM by yourself, that isn't a very good idea. I'm not saying CH is very dangerous, just be smart about it and be aware of your surroundings.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,903,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
you mentioned that you want the city life, but with a 1400 a month budget i would recommend downtown Silver Spring, its right outside of DC in Montgomery County, MD it has everything the city has to offer and plenty of diversity as well as good public transportation to Downtown DC, Prince George's County, and other areas of Montgomery County.
My ex will possibly be looking for similar to the OP so Silver Springs sounds interesting. It is possible we may move up that way as well eventually so the kids can be closer to him. What is Silver Springs area like for schools and parks? We only need a two bedroom but I like the idea of being able to take the metro in during the day to take the kids to the museums and things like that.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 AM

44 posts, read 158,483 times
Since you are working in McLean, I would also look at downtown Alexandria, which is an urban area on the Virginia side of the river. Locate yourself near the metro and you might even be able to use metro and the bus to get to work without having the nightmare of commuting by car at rush hour. Also, living there you will have the advantages of an urban atmosphere with easy access to the suburban amenities such as shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC