Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,608 times

Advertisements

My ideal situation is to live in a place where several clubs and bars are within a half mile, and the metro is within a half mile.

I have been living in the MD suburbs just outside of DC since graduating from college last year. I have a job that I love but takes up a lot of time so it's pretty hard to get into DC even on the weekends.

My ideal typical day would be to go to work on the metro, get back from work, workout/run, shower, and then have the clubs right there so that I can go out.

The reason I want to be next to the clubs is that often whenever I have trekked into DC for clubbing I have met and had adventures with great women. I'd like to do that a lot more often. As it is now, I rarely hit up the clubs in DC because it takes over an hour to get to the clubs from my house, if you factor in parking near the club or parking at a metro and taking the metro to the club.

If you have any suggestions for finding a place where I can live out the "ideal" situation I've described above, I'd appreciate hearing it.

I make 40k/year, which isn't that much for living in DC but I don't mind having several roommates. Also, when I hit the bars, typically I only have one or two drinks because I'm usually with friends, meeting people, or dancing most of the time. That brings me to my next question: Which bars in DC have covers and which ones don't? Because I really don't want to pay covers. Since I don't drink much (I do get blitzed with friends occasionally but who doesn't), I like the drinkers to subsidize my night.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Gatzby; 01-06-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,733,534 times
You just described Adams Morgan to a T. It's the hub of DC nightlife and is served by the Woodley Park station on the Red Line.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,746,043 times
Adams Morgan and the U Street area. You can look for a room to rent in a house there. Depending on where you live in Adams Morgan, the metro can be a hike (southern end closer to Dupont, southeastern side closer to U Street, and north side closer to Woodley Park). Also look into possible bus lines to work, if the red, yellow or green lines aren't direct.

As far as covers, I've only rarely paid for a cover at a bar, and that's usually due to the entertainment. In an area like Adams Morgan or U Street you can just go to a place and see if they charge, and if so just walk next door.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,499,906 times
Id do U Street before Adams Morgan personally. Adams Morgan can be a real pain to get into/out of, is mostly a younger crowd too. And the Metro isnt nearly as close as it is on U Street. Its basically right there on U.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 AM

I now know where to look.

U Street, or Adams Morgan. Cool.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,746,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
I now know where to look.

U Street, or Adams Morgan. Cool.
You could also stretch it up towards Mt. Pleasant or Columbia Heights if you're having budget problems. They're not quite right in the middle of it all, but it's close by enough to walk.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,227,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
You could also stretch it up towards Mt. Pleasant or Columbia Heights if you're having budget problems. They're not quite right in the middle of it all, but it's close by enough to walk.
I agree. I live in Mount Pleasant and I'm about a 15 minute walk to the huge strip of bars on 18th St in Adams Morgan. You'd pretty much have to find a room in a row house with other people though since there aren't may apartments in this neighborhood. It also isn't much cheaper than U St or Adams Morgan, but you may get lucky. I make $44k and live in a 3BR row house here. There's four of us and I have the den which costs $800/month. Then den is enough room though for me and it has it's own balcony which is nice. The neighborhood is almost nothing but young professionals. When I talked to another guy on the job with me at the FD who's been working here for over 15 years, he said it's a pretty big party neighborhood. So that's something you might like. When it's warmer out I definitely hear the parties at times on the weekends, but it's never an issue really if you want a quiet night. Halloween was UNBELIEVABLE though. Two streets were closed down for bands and people were everywhere. It's a small neighborhood so you can only go so many places. It was probably one of the best times I've had in DC. The Columbia Heights Metro is only about a 10 minute walk and across the street from that is Washington Sports Club if you want to work out. The whole area though(Adams Morgan, U St, Col Heights, Mt Pleasant) might be a good idea for a younger guy. Everything I described was from my house at around 18th & Kilbourne, but the neighborhood is small enough where distances won't change much to everything.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Awesome. Thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 AM

65 posts, read 159,232 times
Some good info in here.. was curious on this myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: