Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 AM

13 posts, read 107,803 times

Advertisements

What about prince georges County? I am a 23 year old african american from Lithonia just graduated from Morehouse and was wondering about prince georges County....Lithonia is where most of the middle class blacks live in Atlanta although they are evrywhere most of them are in the Lithonia Stone Mountain area so I was wondering what is prince georges County like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 PM

26 posts, read 188,925 times
If you would have put this in the MD forum you would have more replies, but anyway PG county is majority black lower middle class to middle class. School system is HORRIBLE I meen HORRIBLE. Crime is a concern every year but last year it was higher than usual,last year there was around 173 homicides compared to 154 in 2004. They say crime is going down but it was so high it has no where eles to go but down it will probley finish off with totals arounf 2004 year. But it is still a huge problem. Some nice areas in the county are Bowie and Laurel but they are quickly changing for the worse. I hate to sound so negative but I was born and raised in this county and still live here. You might like Montgomery county MD just a suggestion. If you have anymore questions about the area you can PM me.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 PM

33 posts, read 241,854 times
Default PG County...not the same

I also grew up in PG County, born in 1965, attended the public schools and moved to Montgomery County when I was 19. Although we were close to the Montgomery County border, there is no way in "heck" I would ever live in that part of MD again. Just not the same as it was. PG County on University Blvd around the Riggs Road area, i.e., Langley Park, was like driving in a third world country when I drove through there a couple of years ago heading to my 20 yr class reunion at the UMD. Lots of hard working people, don't get me wrong, but also a big element of gang activity.

Why not check in the Columbia, MD or Owings Mills area? That is Howard County, MD about 45 minutes north of Wash, DC area; in between Wash, DC and Baltimore, MD.

Just my two cents. Grace

Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
I'm responding late to this, only because I didn't realize that anyone was posting in the DC forum.

Anyways, if it's important to you to live in a mostly black middle-class area, you may want to check out Mitchellville. Very nice and low crime. Upper Marlboro and Bowie also are very safe, tidy and middle class to upper middle class parts of PG County. There's lately been an exodus of upper middle class and middle class blacks from PG County further outward to Charles County just south of PG County which has a sort of suburban/exurban/rural feel to it and is now around 30% black and growing.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
Default Greenbelt

Hi there,
if you are interested in moving to P.G. County, I would recommend looking into old Greenbelt. It has some nice homes that are still affordable and a neat little town center with a cafe, movie theater and other little shops. There is a bus service to the metro station and Greenbelt is the last station on the Green Line that takes you to D.C. and other surrounding areas. There are also 2 lakes close by, Lake Artemsia and Greenbelt Lake and a few parks. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2006, 12:35 PM

18 posts, read 87,724 times
I lived in MD from 38 years-just moved last year. Prince Georges County has too much crime and unfortunately I think is a dangerous area and only getting worse. Montgomery County is nice and has a lot of predominately african american areas and is very culturally diverse. Also more middle class than PG County. Check it out.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 79,416 times
My husband is a police officer in PG County. Moving to PG County is about the worst thing you could do. The crime is awful. Montgomery County is close and is much safer.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM

321 posts, read 1,557,363 times
Depends on where you'll be working. But I grew up in PG County, live in Cobb County GA now. It's really, really bad over there. We could give you better ideas if we know where you'll be working.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 PM

40 posts, read 181,971 times
I would have to correct the person that said PG County is majority black lower class to middle class. It is the richest majority Black county in the country! There are many lower income areas and high-crime areas. But there are alot of Blacks with money, too. However, I am leaving this area because the cost of living is ridiculous. I do not think PG County or the DC area is good to raise a family as I am trying to do. I would also recommend looking at the Columbia and Howard County areas. The school system, (I am ashamed to say as a teacher for PG County) is horrible. I refuse to let my children go to a PG County High School,which is why I must leave. If you ask me the entire metro area (DC-MD-VA) are all overpriced and you don't get enough for your money. As far as federal jobs, the competition is extremely steep, although I'm not sure about other job markets. I would suggest doing a lot of research and perhaps reconsidering.

Sorry Just being honest!!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 AM

9 posts, read 65,357 times
PG Sucksssssssss. Go to montgomery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: