Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,805 times

Advertisements

Hello DC...

I am a 26-year old single male currently living in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I am looking to relocate out of Ohio within the next 6 months to a year. I have a small list of cities I am gathering local opinions on, and Washington is one of them. I have ties to the D.C. area: my father grew up in Laurel, and my great uncle lives in Northern Virginia.

Should I choose to make D.C. my new home, I am looking to rent either a studio or a one-bedroom apartment, either in the District or in the Maryland suburbs. Northern Virginia is not an option for me (no offense to those of you who live there, VA is a BEAUTIFUL state). I am open to either living in an urban row-house type deal, or in a quiet, safe apartment community.

My job here in Cincinnati is a national outfit, and I am looking to possibly transfer to a store located in Takoma Park, Maryland, if that's of any help to anyone.

I will be honest...I am on a very tight budget, looking to spend no more than maybe $500-550 ($600 to 650 at the ABSOLUTE MOST if utilities are included) a month. Would I still be able to live in a decent area for that price?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by badguykc; 01-25-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
You won't ever get a studio or a 1-bedroom for anything close to what you want. Your only option to get within that range would be living in a group house (which would probably get you down to about $600 at best, unless you're lucky). A lot of people do it and there's no stigma - you just have to share a house with 5 or 6 other people - which can be good or bad.

1 bedrooms are usually about $1,100 - $1,500. Studios are usually about $900-$1,300. There are exceptions, but you get what you pay for.

Welcome to DC.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Looks like DC's out of the question . But thank you though. Beautiful city.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Looks like DC's out of the question . But thank you though. Beautiful city.
I have to ask, though - what city do you think you can live in for a one bedroom for $500? That's what you might pay in a very small, isolated city.

Or maybe Detroit? Certainly not the suburbs of Detroit or Baltimore or Philly or Chicago or Miami or New York or Boston or Seattle or San Fran or LA or....

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I have to ask, though - what city do you think you can live in for a one bedroom for $500? That's what you might pay in a very small, isolated city.

Or maybe Detroit? Certainly not the suburbs of Detroit or Baltimore or Philly or Chicago or Miami or New York or Boston or Seattle or San Fran or LA or....
Cincinnati, Memphis, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Columbus, Indianapolis...want me to keep going?

Besides, I'm not coming to your city anyway, so why does it matter to you?

Last edited by badguykc; 01-26-2010 at 08:42 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Makes an interesting debate in itself...is DC worth it?

I've been going back and forth between choosing one of the many $600-650/month rent type of cities that offer a high quality of life, but unsatisfying work life.

DC would certainly offer very interesting job possibilities, but 2-3x the rent. Additionally, no guarantees you'd get 2-3x the pay to offset the difference.

If a person is young and single, then certainly worth the risk/chance/opportunity, as home life doesn't mean much at all. But as a person collects family members....hmmm.

------

For badguykc, sounds like your particular job could be transferable to any city...and maybe similar pay regardless of location? In that sense, I would say DC wouldn't be worth it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Cincinnati, Memphis, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Columbus, Indianapolis...want me to keep going?

Besides, I'm not coming to your city anyway, so why does it matter to you?
Wow. I was just curious. No need to be a jerk.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,926 times
Badguy,
As a former Cincinnatian I would advise you look someplace cheaper. I would suspect an area like Pittsburg would be a better fit.

For those that don't know, there are MANY midwest cities where 500-650 will get you a VERY nice 1br apt. If you aren't in a career that is tied to the DC gravy train then there is no need to come here and spend the 2-3x more unless you really like it here.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Wow. I was just curious. No need to be a jerk.
You're right Bluefly, I do apologize. Maybe I took something you were saying the wrong way. No hard feelings?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Badguy,
As a former Cincinnatian I would advise you look someplace cheaper. I would suspect an area like Pittsburg would be a better fit.

For those that don't know, there are MANY midwest cities where 500-650 will get you a VERY nice 1br apt. If you aren't in a career that is tied to the DC gravy train then there is no need to come here and spend the 2-3x more unless you really like it here.
Ha....that is the luxury of the midwest... 400 dollar rents but no jobs to pay for em and stale sports related nightlife entertainment only....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC