Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM

258 posts, read 534,451 times

Advertisements

is there a way to find hout how many members, undergrad and grad, who are members of a fraternity in a certain area?? i'm having trouble deciding which fraternity i would like to pledge ( alpha phi alpha OR kappa alpha psi). i think membership numbers def play a part for me and many others.

besides that, which frat should i pledge?? i would be doing the grad chapter too. you can PM me answers too , to keep down any controversy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Uh just contact the frat's alumni association or something. They'll probably have more hard stats on that.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

thanks, lol. anyone else??

Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
I don't think you'll find many people who even know what those fraternities are. Plus, outside of the direct connections you make with your brothers, no one really uses the bond of a national fraternity for professional networking. I've never even heard anyone mention their fraternity or sorority since graduating.

The school you go to is a far stronger tool. Focus on that.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't think you'll find many people who even know what those fraternities are. Plus, outside of the direct connections you make with your brothers, no one really uses the bond of a national fraternity for professional networking. I've never even heard anyone mention their fraternity or sorority since graduating.

in the dc forum, that should be the opposite
i have. i thought of this thread after seeing one on here about Jack and Jill...........

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,018 times
Adio,
Please get a copy of "the divine nine" this book will help you find the right organization based on the historical, social and community service projects that they are involved in.

I am familiar with these groups as I too am a member of one of the groups for women and I too joined on a graduate level. There are many members in the DC region so you will have NO problem finding contacts. Make sure you are joining for more than the "networking", make sure you are ready to commit time, talents and energy to social projects that will better the community.

Make use of google and you will find a local chapter. Shoot them an email "after" you decide which group fits your personality and interests. Make sure YOU can contribute 100%.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 PM

290 posts, read 634,093 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
^^You don't know what you are talking about.

Also Adio, I am a member of a Divine 9 sorority. You are going about this totally wrong! I'll try sending you a personal message.

If you care about professionally connecting with people from your fraternity/sorority then there are usually people you can find who will help you network and so forth. However, around here I haven't seen fraternities emphasized or played up so much in my work experience though that doesn't mean it isn't there. Like anything, it probably depends on where you work, what you do, etc. Anything any of us say will just be generalizations or overextended anectdotes based on our personal experience. Check them out if you think they might help. That's probably part of why you want to join up to begin with.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
^^You don't know what you are talking about.

Also Adio, I am a member of a Divine 9 sorority. You are going about this totally wrong! I'll try sending you a personal message.

I've known a whole lot of people working in all corners of DC, and not one, outside of the Howard crowd, has ever mentioned their fraternity or sorority ... ever ... once they graduate.

If your experience is different, fine, but be a decent human being about it next time.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM

331 posts, read 1,198,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I've known a whole lot of people working in all corners of DC, and not one, outside of the Howard crowd, has ever mentioned their fraternity or sorority ... ever ... once they graduate.

If your experience is different, fine, but be a decent human being about it next time.
What?

I'm sorry if I offended you. There are a whole lot of people "outside of the Howard crowd" that DO mention their fraternity or sorority after they graduate. I didn't graduate from Howard. I joined my sorority AFTER I graduated from college. This is the experience that Adio is inquiring about. If you don't understand it then maybe this is one of those threads you should not be contributing to.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
"in the dmv"

DC's DMV? You just don't want to go there (ever!), trust me.

Last edited by stars99; 03-05-2010 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: