Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 AM

250 posts, read 379,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Short and to the point: I'm proud of ya, Washington. This thing got smacked down with authority, and the Eyman initiative to force polis to have a 2/3 majority to raise any taxes seems to be passing as well.

Keep showing these idiots in Olympia the tough love.
I may be wrong, it's happened before, but didn't there used to be some law about needing voter approval to raise taxes that the Legislature struck down recently when they needed to raise taxes? Don't you think they're going to make up their own rules no matter what we say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:26 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
I may be wrong, it's happened before, but didn't there used to be some law about needing voter approval to raise taxes that the Legislature struck down recently when they needed to raise taxes? Don't you think they're going to make up their own rules no matter what we say?
I believe they suspended it for their "emergency" session.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Yeah, they have a habit of ignoring voter initiatives under the guise of obtaining "emergency funds", but I'm (perhaps foolishly) optimistic voters would see through that and kick anyone who tries it out.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 AM

61 posts, read 100,724 times
I'm hoping that this tax got hammered so hard..that we won't see this again for a long time.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 AM

61 posts, read 100,724 times
Quote:

That would be 960, which is a reason why people called BS when the Pro 1098 folks said that the legislature wouldn't 'dare' lower the threshold.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
That's why the initiative process doesn't work. There is no enforcement mechanism that law can wield, because the state government is never going to agree to penalize itself or limit itself.

I did find it funny that Tim Eyman made sure his name wasn't associated with his initiative from the supporting side in the voter's pamphlet. Evidently he worried that his very name was poll poison. Which I thought it was, but evidently not, or perhaps most voters don't read the pamphlet.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,137 times
Quote:
didn't there used to be some law about needing voter approval to raise taxes that the Legislature struck down recently when they needed to raise taxes?
Laws are struck down by the courts- not the lawmakers. That's their job and it always has been regardless of what lawmakers want.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I'm hoping that this tax got hammered so hard..that we won't see this again for a long time.
Income tax in WA is inevitable. You can hope and wish all you want, but the financial reality is that sooner or later, the state will have to come up with enough revenue to met their obligations. Hence, an income tax.

"Cutting the budget" is a pithy solution, when the budget has been picked over by the vultures for several years already. How much more is there to cut?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:52 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Income tax in WA is inevitable. You can hope and wish all you want, but the financial reality is that sooner or later, the state will have to come up with enough revenue to met their obligations. Hence, an income tax.

"Cutting the budget" is a pithy solution, when the budget has been picked over by the vultures for several years already. How much more is there to cut?
Look at spending 5 years ago vs. spending today. My guess is, there is more to "pick over" now than there was 5 years ago, because we're spending significantly more now than we were 5 years ago. So no, it hasnt' been "picked over". The spending has been ramped, not taken back. mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-04-2010 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: baiting

Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
... Gregoire needs to be fiscally smart and creative. Which are precisely the skill and ability she always lacked.

Look over the budget, there is always waste bleeding out the budget. Look at the ferry system OT fiasco. Have the jail run by the Sheriff Joe types (I know Washington will have a problem with that, but oh well). Have the public employees pay for their own healthcare-- or more of it.

There are ways, but Gregoire's simply going for the easy ways and targeting the weak, poor and children. Always a easy target to punish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington