Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 22,804 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I am a WA native, that is currently looking to "come back home" to the Northwest , after being away for the last 6 yrs. My family and I are considering a move to the Stanwood area. Would love to hear more about this area. I am originally from king co, but it is just way too crowded there and too $$ and too much traffic. In my research Stanwood looks like a good place to settle down and raise a family, relatively small town, close to the big City if needed etc.

My husband is a general contractor, remodeling, etc. Would like info on work too.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
There's nothing wrong with Stanwood, you'd likely be happy there. The commutes around Seattle and the Eastside have gotten way worse since you left.

Unfortunately there are a lot less jobs for contractors than 2-3 years ago with many going out of business and looking for jobs now. Not Stanwood specifically but in general for the entire region. There were many developments that stopped midstream and were fenced off until the creditors could find a buyer to finish them, others done with the homes selling for half the original price. Maybe concentrating on small home remodel jobs would
work for a while if you don't driving a ways to find the customers.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,295 times
I'm afraid bisjoe is right, the construction industry in western WA (particularly in small town western WA) has been "hammered" (sorry, couldn't resist! ) over the past few years by our national economic recession- just like it has in most parts of the country.

Perhaps check with one of the local building supply companies to see if they might know of any job leads? Honestly, I don't think I'd get my hopes up but you never can tell... Hamilton & Sons is a building supply company in Stanwood (it's next to the Wells Fargo bank mid-town if you're visiting). Cascade Lumber is on the north end of Camano (on Good Rd), a mile or so past the bridge as you first cross on to the island.

I have a cousin who lives on north Camano Island (Utsalady) whom we visit fairly often. I've helped him with a couple of "projects" in his yard, which is how I learned the location of the local supply stores.

Another option might be to try and find work in an adjacent larger town- Mt. Vernon to the north or Marysville to the south. Unfortunately I'd suspect that the availability of construction jobs in those towns may not be much better than they are in Stanwood (or the entire region for that matter) but there'd be no harm in you two taking a trip out here and checking things out in all of these places.

Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM

57 posts, read 224,630 times
Construction down but I gotta tell ya when I need a contractor for small jobs - I wait wait wait - they are busy and doing fine. Particularly if capable in many areas, plumbing, electrical, small construction jobs etc. The farther North the less expensive. I live in Echo Lake so close to amenities but 98296 area code is still pricy. Marysville, Stanwood, Arlington you'll need $200,000 to get into the housing market. You would do well to live near your work center, Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland you will be able to market your handyman or small construction business easily. I give my guy as a referral constantly!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM

Hi, all . Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
My husband has been in construction for 18 plus years. He has mostly done remodeling, and additions and an occasional new home from time to time, but mostly home remodeling projects. We used to live in Issaquah, but it has just become way too crowded and property taxes are ridiculous in King Co.
The main reason we are moving back is to be close to my aging parents, and also we have a bi-racial family, and want to live in an area that is more racially accepting.
Looks like new construction has slowed down, but small projects, remodeling, etc. is still going strong?
Thanks again,

Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Also, what can you tell me about the price of food in Stanwood. How much does a gallon of milk go for? Gas for the car? Etc.

Also what about local libraries, and parks, etc. Our family enjoys those.

Thanks again,

Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM

One more question: Local stores, etc. What choices does have in the stanwood area? Is there various grocery stores, or does one need to travel to Arlington or Marysville for that? What about costco or sam's club? Is that located in Everett?

Thanks again,

Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by washington native View Post
One more question: Local stores, etc. What choices does have in the stanwood area? Is there various grocery stores, or does one need to travel to Arlington or Marysville for that? What about costco or sam's club? Is that located in Everett?

Thanks again,
There is a QFC grocery store in Stanwood. Per my recollection, I think that's about it as far as grocery stores go for Stanwood itself. But... not suprising for a town with only about 4 or 5000 people-

The closest Costco is in Marysville.

The library in Stanwood (Sno-Isle) looked pretty small to me as I drove by but I've not actually been inside of it.

When we're over there I usually buy gas at the Costco because prices there are typically less than at the Valero and Shell stations in Stanwood.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info, Dendrite. I love QFC! Miss the good quality veggies! I can handle there being only one grocery store. LOL! We currently live in a town of 1,200 so 5,000 seems pretty big!
I'm glad to hear the library is small. I love small libraries! It is so much more personal -- you get to know the librarians, etc. We homeschool, so we use the library a lot. When the Issaquah library was torn down and a big fancy one replaced the small quaint one, we stopped using it. It was never the same. We left Issaquah because it was getting too big, to crowded, -- we are looking for something small and friendly.

Thanks again,

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM

Another question:

How would you rate Skagit Valley Community College? I have teens who will be going to college soon, and I noticed Skagit Valley CC is in nearby Mt. Vernon.

Thanks for taking time to answer my many questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington