Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
One little bonus is that the Bellingham airport is growing. Non stop to Hawaii now as well as several other cities. And it;s a billion times easier getting in and out of than Sea Tac.
Yes. It is.
Bellingham airport neighbors raise noise complaints - Top Stories - bellinghamherald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
And the moral to the story is, never buy property close to an airport and then ***** when it gets noisy.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
And the moral to the story is, never buy property close to an airport and then ***** when it gets noisy.
Ha! True dat!
Also consider: don't build in the lowlands by the river and then ***** etc.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM

68 posts, read 148,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ha! True dat!
Also consider: don't build in the lowlands by the river and then ***** etc.
Yeah, its been sort of amusing looking at real estate listings, seeing their awesome value, and then measuring the land elevation with google earth to find out they are only 5 ft above the water on the Nooksack or Skagit Rivers.

Just saw one in Ferndale at the corner of Ulrich and Ferndale Rds. that must only be 10 feet above the water and practically right on the river. It doesn't seem to be selling very quickly.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
Yeah, its been sort of amusing looking at real estate listings, seeing their awesome value, and then measuring the land elevation with google earth to find out they are only 5 ft above the water on the Nooksack or Skagit Rivers.

Just saw one in Ferndale at the corner of Ulrich and Ferndale Rds. that must only be 10 feet above the water and practically right on the river. It doesn't seem to be selling very quickly.
Yes. Serious problem areas in Ferndale. Although, just this past year there have been seriously substantial improvements to the flood control levies. Looks good. Really good. I have had to make detours many winters around several infamous spots there for over a dozen years. Looks like that may be a thing of the past.

Also improvements on Slater Road at the bridge just north / northwest of the freeway and railroad tracks ... and out on the reservation as well.

Are you talking about the farmhouse for sale right on the corner of Ulrich Rd.? I think it's a ReMax listing? Recently converted adjacent fields to berries? Interesting that, low as that house is, I don't recall ever seeing it flooded, even though the road right along it ran like a second river at times.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yes. Serious problem areas in Ferndale. Although, just this past year there have been seriously substantial improvements to the flood control levies. Looks good. Really good. I have had to make detours many winters around several infamous spots there for over a dozen years. Looks like that may be a thing of the past.

Also improvements on Slater Road at the bridge just north / northwest of the freeway and railroad tracks ... and out on the reservation as well.

Are you talking about the farmhouse for sale right on the corner of Ulrich Rd.? I think it's a ReMax listing? Recently converted adjacent fields to berries? Interesting that, low as that house is, I don't recall ever seeing it flooded, even though the road right along it ran like a second river at times.
My brother in law lives off of Slater down past the Silver Thief and has told me he's once seen the river swallow that house a few feet up its sides and leave it at least stranded needing a boat a handful of times. Sucks as I thought it was a groovy little joint. Its a craftsman with a little over an acre and it sort of looks like home here to an extent, not that its what I'm looking for per se. $246 is the limit for us too, leaving us with some tight wallets for quite awhile. I wonder if the flood danger, real or perceived, is the reason its been listed since June of last year.

But then again I see a bunch of houses I like that seem to not sell. When they're in Sudden Valley, I know the back story on those. But when they're not there I always wonder from 2746 miles away what's buried in the yard.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 AM

14 posts, read 26,625 times
Quote:

But then again I see a bunch of houses I like that seem to not sell. When they're in Sudden Valley, I know the back story on those.
What is the back story?

We are looking at a possible move to the area from the Southeast, and so far have found some nice places in our price range online, but if Sudden Valley has issues, I won't waste my time looking there when I go in person to check things out.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My brother in law lives off of Slater down past the Silver Thief and has told me he's once seen the river swallow that house a few feet up its sides and leave it at least stranded needing a boat a handful of times. Sucks as I thought it was a groovy little joint. Its a craftsman with a little over an acre and it sort of looks like home here to an extent, not that its what I'm looking for per se. $246 is the limit for us too, leaving us with some tight wallets for quite awhile. I wonder if the flood danger, real or perceived, is the reason its been listed since June of last year.

But then again I see a bunch of houses I like that seem to not sell. When they're in Sudden Valley, I know the back story on those. But when they're not there I always wonder from 2746 miles away what's buried in the yard.
Well, could be. I have driven through the Ulrich Rd. floods many times and notice that place with water all around in the yard, yes ... but never noticed the actual house affected. Perhaps so. I have chuckled at the boat access a few times though In any case, it will be interesting in the future to see how the new levee works ... It is right along that section of Ulrich and in front of that house. Hopefully it will do the trick!

Sudden Vally ain't all bad! Mixed bag. And prices reflect to a considerable degree. I know happy residents down there. I know folks who have fled. One of the big issues really is how dark much of it is in a climate that needs all the sun it can get!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
Quote:
My brother in law lives off of Slater down past the Silver Thief
Spoken like a local. Love that nickname.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changes in lattitudes View Post
What is the back story?

We are looking at a possible move to the area from the Southeast, and so far have found some nice places in our price range online, but if Sudden Valley has issues, I won't waste my time looking there when I go in person to check things out.

Thanks!
For a fellow lost soul neck deep in the confusion from far far away, PM sent. Checking the place out in person is only heartache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington