Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashayar View Post

Any thoughts about the journey from Browns Point to Lakewood are most welcome, as right now I'm learning toward no!
It depends on where you're coming from. If you're used to traffic, then I'm sure this will be nothing.

Just remember, the Tacoma S-curves is one of the more painful in the butt parts of i5. At least, once you learn the areas, you can learn the routes "back roads" and just go around that. We are talking of a commute that's what, at most 45 minutes during Rush hour. Unless you're getting on base? Then that'll take longer as you gotta deal with the lines.

I definitely second the choices of Steilacoom and University Place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM

28 posts, read 112,988 times
Well, thanks everyone for the great replies! I've looked extensively on Craig's list. What I'm looking for, in case anyone hears:

I'm willing to pay abo $1200/month plus utilities, and am looking for at least partially furnished, no shared wall space, detached unit. Hoping for a place where I don't walk in and it's giant empty rooms. I'm basically waiting to save a bit more for a deposit to buy a house - need to wait until I have that 20% down payment. I'm super quiet and do lots of academic work at night, hence the need for quiet. Could go a little higher in price to get what I needed. That's why it's been so hard to find a place. Closer to Lakewood, the better....

I've found one thing in Gig Harbor (although not crazy about the tolls), one thing in Browns Point, one thing in Sumner...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,745 times
Default Silver Creek

I just saw a rental in the Silver Creek subdivision it is like a box but it is closer to lakewood and is affordable and quiet.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM

103 posts, read 783,609 times
The VA is located right on the water.You can step out of your building,walk across the street and put your feet in the water.Right outside the VA entrance are rentals here or there.Houses,duplexes and apartments.They are scattered amongst owner occupied single homes.Some are by the water.You could walk to walk down the beautiful tree covered street leading up to and in to the VA.
Why not look for a duplex with a garage in the center separating you from the neighbors noise.With your price range you can find a nice place anywhere.
Steilacoom is a easy commute out of the VA gate.Just take a left and when you come to a T in the road and you are straight on your way to steilacoom.Steilacoom is pretty,quiet,boring and right by the water.
Wherever you go in western WA the scenery will be beautiful and green year round with plenty of water to look at.
Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder
Lakewood Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Lakewood WA, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Lakewood, Washington
Park 52 - Professional Property Management Services - Home Sales, Rentals, Pierce County, Tacoma, Puyallup, Gig Harbor

Old 03-13-2011, 05:28 PM

39 posts, read 254,623 times
Default Crime...gangs?

What I have read thus far about Browns Point is good, but I would like to know more about the area for to the east, in other words Northeast Tacoma (Around the elementary school). I have an acquaintance who lives there and he says there is a lot of crime and gangs are frequent there. What I want to know is if that is true or if he is just exaggerating? Have there been any shootings lately or at all around the Northeast Tacoma area? I have been around S.W Federal Way around 25th ave s.w and I saw Mexican gang graffiti there with things like "XV3" which is for the Surenos 13 gang so I'm wondering if they're active around Northeast Tacoma?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Tacoma does have gang problems, the worst is the Hilltop area, followed by the east side. Try looking in detail at the Tacoma News tribune website. Even Lakewood gets tagged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington