Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,832 times

Advertisements

Moving to Washington looking for that small town charm. Love Silverdale, but are being told that Gig Harbor would be a shorter commute to/from SEA/TAC. GH appears to have amazing properties at amazing prices (coming from So Cal) and the schools are very highly rated...looking for words from wise peeps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Less than 45 with no traffic, over an hour at bad commute times. It's also going to cost you a bridge toll crossing the Narrows on Highway 16 every day, back home would be free. If you are working at the airport there are many carpools and van pools, probably some from GH if you check the
Rideshare site.

Welcome to RideshareOnline.com

Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM

392 posts, read 1,556,587 times
My wife traveled to SeaTac for work for 2 years from Gig Harbor. Not bad, but MUCH better if you get in the carpool or vanpool. With our new bridge (well, new in '07), it's 45 min.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Yes, the carpool lane (in the northbound i5) is being extended, so it should help much more.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM

57 posts, read 224,617 times
Gig Harbor gives you that small town feel and definitely the mariner life. The bridge is a pain and particularly now that it is tolled. If you want to avoid the bridge - North Tacoma, Stadium, Old Town area is very quaint. The Ruston Way waterfront is great. Lots of activities, restaurants etc. I've lived all over Western Washington and my favorite areas are Old Town Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Anacortes, Woodinville/Maltby, Kirkland. . . Gig Harbor and TAcoma would be the least expensive with Anacortes, Maltby, Woodinville following. Kirkland is much more expensive but 'close in' to Bellevue. Good school Districts - Northshore & Lake Washington. . .

I commute from Maltby to SeaTAc - 35 minutes without traffic - can be 1.25 with . ..

Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 AM

3 posts, read 8,246 times
I have to ask why you want to work at Seatac if you want a small town feel. Regardless, I recommend synchronizing where you work and where you live. I am closing on a house and one of my criteria was no bridges, ferries, viaducts, or tunnels between my home, workplace, and where I play. My new commute will be a 15 minute bike ride. I couldn't care less what gas prices are or what bridges are being tolled, a list that is going to grow in WA. I have a friend who lives in Gig Harbor and used to work in Sodo, just 10 minutes north of Seatac. She quit and started work in Gig Harbor because she got sick of spending hours every day commuting. Life is too short to spend it in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington