Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 03:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

Or, maybe it varies from city to city and there's not a state law for it. If you're driving at an intersection with a crosswalk and it's not controlled (no walk signals or a button to push to make traffic stop)....do you have to yield to the pedestrian, even if they just have a couple of feet in the intersection and you know you will clear the crosswalk in plenty of time without making the pedestrian slow down?
If you cannot cross until the foot traffic is completely cleared at an uncontrolled crosswalk, there are some places, like West Seattle's Alki Beach during the summer, where you could be waiting for 15 minutes or more.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Or, maybe it varies from city to city and there's not a state law for it. If you're driving at an intersection with a crosswalk and it's not controlled (no walk signals or a button to push to make traffic stop)....do you have to yield to the pedestrian, even if they just have a couple of feet in the intersection and you know you will clear the crosswalk in plenty of time without making the pedestrian slow down?
If you cannot cross until the foot traffic is completely cleared at an uncontrolled crosswalk, there are some places, like West Seattle's Alki Beach during the summer, where you could be waiting for 15 minutes or more.....
WSDOT - Washington State Pedestrian Laws

It says in the link: "Stop for pedestrians at intersections - Vehicles shall stop at intersections to allow pedestrians and bicycles to cross the road within a marked or unmarked crosswalk (RCW 46.61.235). See Washington's Crosswalk Law for more information."

One thing I remember from Driver's ED was that you give the pedestrian one full lane of space. When I used to drop my husband off @ Palisade Waterfront Restaurant, it wasn't unusual to see cops parked there (Elliot ave, at the light where you turn to get on Magnolia Bridge) to pull over anyone who didn't obey that law.

I love Alki/West Seattle, but that's the part that sucks during the summer-- too many people. Comes with the territory.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
WSDOT - Washington State Pedestrian Laws

It says in the link: "Stop for pedestrians at intersections - Vehicles shall stop at intersections to allow pedestrians and bicycles to cross the road within a marked or unmarked crosswalk (RCW 46.61.235). See Washington's Crosswalk Law for more information."

One thing I remember from Driver's ED was that you give the pedestrian one full lane of space. When I used to drop my husband off @ Palisade Waterfront Restaurant, it wasn't unusual to see cops parked there (Elliot ave, at the light where you turn to get on Magnolia Bridge) to pull over anyone who didn't obey that law.

I love Alki/West Seattle, but that's the part that sucks during the summer-- too many people. Comes with the territory.
What's one full lane of space though?
One step? 6 feet (average height of a person)?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Lane as the street lane your car is on.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Understood if the walker is right by the car, but what if the car can clear the intersection, before the walker gets to where the car is, walking at normal speed and not having to slow down?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Understood if the walker is right by the car, but what if the car can clear the intersection, before the walker gets to where the car is, walking at normal speed and not having to slow down?
It's fine so long as when, at the moment you are driving through the crosswalk, there is one lane's worth of space between your vehicle and the pedestrian. If there isn't a traffic lane's worth of space at that time, then it is illegal to make the turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: