Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,300 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
I will be moving from California to be working at fort Lewis base. I searched for apartments in Lakewood but I heard its a bad area. However I heard Puyallup is my best bit. What do you guys think? I am only concerned about safety and a nice area. I don't wanna end up in a ghetto neighborhood. Do you guys recommend Puyallup? if yes what side of the town? do I need to look for east,west, north, south part of something? I know nothing about the area. please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,278 times
DH recently retired from army and nows works as a civilian at Madigan hospital on JBLM. We have lived in Puyallup since 2002. First in a rental house east of Canyon Road for 2 yrs, then we bought a home in the "valley" or the "original, historic, downtown" area of Puyallup. Further south is the newer development known as South Hill, which seems to keep growing farther south. South Hill is closer to JBLM, mostly newer construction, and close to shopping and business. Fairly nice neighborhoods, but mostly houses, some apartments. However, traffic getting to the main artery of Meridian from the various neighborhoods of South Hill and to 512 which takes you I-5 and JBLM can really suck! There is a back way to get to JBLM from the Graham area, but we have never taken it, so can't comment. There are many fairly nice apartment and condo complexes on Meridian going up towards South Hill, before you reach the mall, which might work. Also some new apartment complexes on E. Main which back to a greenbelt known as the Puyallup River trail that look pretty nice. However, you could be kept awake by the trains here that rumble past & tend to blast their horns in the wee hours. I've learned to tune them out. Both these areas would be fairly convenient to 512. We bought in the valley, because we had a teenage daughter at the time who wished to remain in the Puyallup High School district, which is the oldest of the high schools in the area. The valley also has the older craftsman homes dating back to the early 1900s, if one is into that sort of thing. We also chose to live farther north to have easier access to Seattle, where we tend to spend a lot of time, since other daughter was a college student there then, and lives now. As far as "ghetto" areas- well if you mean lower income and higher drug/gang/crime, I would avoid areas west of Canyon Road in Puyallup heading towards Tacoma.The farther west you go towards I-5, the dicier. Many crime reports come out of south & east Tacoma, as well. Lakewood isn't really all that bad, especially near Lakewood Towne Center. Neither is DuPont, which has many military families living there, but not sure of how many apartments are there. Overall, we've been pretty happy in Puyallup, a family oriented, mainsteam USA kinda place.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,745 times
Default Puyallup

I have taken the back road which will bring you to Mountain Highway/route 7. Puyallup is relatively close to JBLM there is also a gate of 112 st which is open to ID holders. It does not have a visitor center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington