Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM

20 posts, read 82,779 times

Advertisements

I'm here on Whidbey Island. We were gonna move to Arizona but chose here instead because of family. It was the wrong choice.

The area is beautiful, I love the weather, finding a job is harder than pulling hens teeth Cost WAY more money to move into a place then it should of, background checks for ALL family members for EACH place you want to look at, which vary in price from $25-40 per person. Yep $80-160 per home for a family of 4.

Not to mention that I HAVE NEVER HEARD of a security deposit for each person in the house over 18. Yep, $3500 deposit for myself, my man and our 18 year old daughter. PLUS $400 for each pet....yep, the cat, who does nothing but sleep and eat all day is 400! That was before rent etc, nevermind getting things turned on like water and power!

Rent is in outer space.

One of the worst choices of my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 AM

28 posts, read 93,202 times
Rents are not that bad. You can rent a house out on sandy hook for about $900 (which sometimes includes a boat dock!). The island is very friendly (our family is moving on the island in Feb.). Somethings are more expensive on the island, but a lot of things are cheaper than in other states. I think the island is great if you enjoy a slow paced/small town life (especially on the south end).

Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 AM

8 posts, read 29,170 times
If you are looking for a reasonable temporary place to stay while visiting I highly recommend the Anchorage Inn B&N in Coupeville.

www.anchorage-inn.com

This is the loveliest place I have ever stayed and the innkeepers, Dave and Dianne, are incredibly friendly, helpful and fun. Beautiful rooms, sparkling clean, a block from Penn Cove and historic shopping district, great restaurants in the area. Check out The Cove (Thai restaurant) a block away. The inn serves wonderful breakfasts, also, and has free cookies, coffee, soft drinks, popcorn, cocoa, candy, etc. available 24 hours a day.

I went for one visit and like it so much I make it a regular "getaway" when I need a break from the city.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,663 times
Can you pick up the Sounder Train in Mukilteo off the Ferry and stop in Edmonds?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeboz View Post
I live in Oak Harbor and know of quite a few people who make the trip to Boeing to work each day. There are many vanpools where people do the park and ride so I'm sure you would be able to find someone to share the commute. I don't have any kids, but I've heard that Coupeville's schools are a little better than Oak Harbor. It's beautiful here, but if you're looking for activities, you have to drive a distance. I'm from the midwest, so if you like the heat, you won't find it here. As far as rain, we just had 28 rain-free days.
From midwest too, hate the heat want to move back to WA.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,160 times
Default Moving to Oak Harbor I think

I'm disabled and retired so moving there on fixed income. Love the weather even winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington