Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,554 times

Advertisements

Yeah Fairhaven is nice, isn't it? I was thinking more along the lines of Bellingham's superfund site.

Isn't it gorgeous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Energy bad...let's all go back to living in caves and hunting saber tooth tigers..

Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Yeah Fairhaven is nice, isn't it? I was thinking more along the lines of Bellingham's superfund site.

Isn't it gorgeous?
Several of my pictures weren't even taken in Fairhaven, several taken from Fairhaven but looking toward the rest of Bellingham, and the one you show is just one part of the waterfront (though admittedly it's right in the middle). Plus there are extensive proposals for redeveloping a portion of that part of the waterfront. The paper mill just closed four years ago, I wouldn't expect there to already be much development in its place. Especially considered the fact the site contained heavy industry until fairly recently, and the pollution to go along with it. And I believe Whatcom County has refused to help finance the development, which I'm sure doesn't help. You can't just tear down a polluting industrial site that was in operation as late as 2007 (not to mention an area that's been an industrial center since the 1800s) and throw in some shops and condos the next day, especially without enough money. Throw in conflict over just how much cleanup needs to be done, and it's understandable that the site is still relatively untouched.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I do agree that it's a major eyesore. But I'm just saying there are still other places along the waterfront that are fantastic, and that one spot (which will hopefully be nice eventually) isn't enough to take away from the rest. At least for me. In a way I find it rather interesting, partially because of the history and partially because I find large, abandoned buildings fascinating.

Last edited by Lamplight; 10-07-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
This is not only the Republican argument, it is the argument of people WITHOUT jobs-where are all those those green jobs promised by Obama and funded by the stimulus package?? I sure did not get one (have a degree in Natural resource Management)-and I voted for Obama (what a mistake)

Those that argue against these kind of jobs usually have one already.
Waste at the level of State and Regional governments who were given the money, along with a reclassification of what a "green job" is. The idea was good, the execution wasn't so much.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:37 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
What lamplight fails to mention, is that the rail mainline is no further than ~one block from where any of those pictures are taken.
Beautiful indeed, tolerable only with acoustic foam, triple pane windows, and earplugs at bedtime.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
What lamplight fails to mention, is that the rail mainline is no further than ~one block from where any of those pictures are taken.
Beautiful indeed, tolerable only with acoustic foam, triple pane windows, and earplugs at bedtime.
And if that's the case then this coal terminal will only make it worse, which I believe is just one of the reasons people aren't happy about it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,950,052 times
Diesel fumes... and some other best cancerogens around.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Nice pictures guys.

What you guys really need is some wind turbines in the picture. They have added greatly to the scenery in eastern Washington.

The right is destroying the environment with coal and the left with wind turbines and solar panels.

In the US right now it is a push between the environmental damage caused by "green" energy and "dirty energy". Unfortunately, for me the "green" energy is destroying MY natural landscapes.

The solution is ZERO POPULATION GROWTH.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
I am not aware of the details of coal out of Bellingham. I will say I live in Seward AK half the year and we have the trains bring coal in - have a coal shoot that feeds the boats - mainly Korea and Japan- from the train. The train isn't a hassel to town because it never crosses the road. Ya I hear some banging of cars but not big deal. In the summer there is on average one ship a month. Winter maybe more. I can say the coal dust settles in the air. Winter with snow the harbor and boats are all covered with black soot. Locals are not all that happy about it. The shoot belt is length of the harbor and when running sounds like another train or clanking knocking noise for the basically 2 days it takes to fill ship. Just a little info from someone who is around such a thing.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM

362 posts, read 589,853 times
i vote republican and guess id say no to coal trains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington