Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times

Advertisements

Hello all ive spent several days reading through the forum and now would like to post my question. We are looking to move and are really able to move anywhere. right now we are looking at washington because we have family in edmunds. We dont have to live close to them, but maybe less than 5 hours would be good.

we are...
family of 5 (6month and 3yr old girls and 12 yr old boy)
schools are important
we are outdoorsy hiking, mountain biking, kayaking
I work from home so commuting is not a factor, but we may want to open a small desert shop/bakery eventually
looking for house between 150-250k
preferably enough land for a small hobby farm (goats, horses, other kid friendly animals) I assume 5-10 acres would be enough. but we dont want to be away from everyone. We just want a little space.
We live near nashville tn currently, but are from san diego. We arent the biggest fans of rain, so more sunny days so we can get outside would be preferred. nashville gets around 50 inches of rain but it has about 200 sunny days per year.
we love the big full green trees, mountain and water views.
We are both 30 yrs old, not into partying, clubs, bars or anything like that, we are more family oriented and are looking for a good community for our family.
not religious at all.

Ive never been to washington but my SO has been to seattle, and orcas island and she says its beautiful. we were told ot check out the olympic rain shadow PA, PT, and Sequium. Out of all those PT seems closest to our needs. But wondering if there are other areas that would be more fitting to younger, outdoor, family activities. We will probably take a trip to visit, then rent for several months before we buy. But we want to get out of here within a couple of months. So any help you can provide us would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mrbeardman; 01-03-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeardman View Post
Hello all ive spent several days reading through the forum and now would like to post my question. We are looking to move and are really able to move anywhere. right now we are looking at washington because we have family in edmunds. We dont have to live close to them, but maybe less than 5 hours would be good.

we are...
family of 5 (6month and 3yr old girls and 12 yr old boy)
schools are important
we are outdoorsy hiking, mountain biking, kayaking
I work from home so commuting is not a factor, but we may want to open a small desert shop/bakery eventually
looking for house between 150-250k
preferably enough land for a small hobby farm (goats, horses, other kid friendly animals) I assume 5-10 acres would be enough. but we dont want to be away from everyone. We just want a little space.
We live near nashville tn currently, but are from san diego. We arent the biggest fans of rain, so more sunny days so we can get outside would be preferred
We are both 30 yrs old, not into partying, clubs, bars or anything like that, we are more family oriented and are looking for a good community for our family.
not religious at all.

Ive never been to washington but my SO has been to seattle, and orcas island and she says its beautiful. We will probably take a trip to visit, then rent for several months before we buy. But we want to get out of here within a couple of months. So any help you can provide us would be greatly appreciated.
If you're wanting more sunny days, Eastern WA would be a better fit. Start looking around the Spokane area and Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland) area-- its more arid on that side, especially in Tri-Cities. Both areas are around 4 hrs from Seattle. Housing with land gets affordable as you move away from Seattle.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
I would second what Inkpoe wrote about looking at Eastern WA. Seattle is beautiful but the entire winter is spent in a constant drizzle. If you are into the big trees, I would look at the westernmost side of Eastern WA. Try the Ellensburg area. I'm not as familiar with the eastside, but from your questions and statements about rain, I doubt that the wet side is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington