Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think students in Washington are getting jipped in the amount of time they are educated?
yes 5 41.67%
no 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM

18 posts, read 69,818 times

Advertisements

I moved from Katy, Texas to Mill Creek, Washington in October 2011, and I was shocked about a few things about the schools here.

The first surprise was that kindergarten was half day. The second shock was that there wasn't bus service for my 6th grader because we lived 1.3 miles away. The third shock was that he would have to cross a major highway to get to school. The next shock was that there were 25 early release days. The most recent shock was that my kindergartener's techer didn't know her reading level and reading groups aren't happening in her class. I used to teach in Cypress Fairbanks ISD in Texas, and this would never have happened!

It seemed like the kids were getting jipped on school from all of the early release days, so I did the math to compare how many hours a student attends school in Katy ISD in Texas and in Everett ISD in Washington.

Katy ISD = Elementary school day is 8:20am-3:40pm, even kinder
165 full days
6 early release days
1232 hours per year K and elem students are in school

Everett SD = Elementary school day is 8:35am-2:45pm,
Kinder school day is 8:35am-11:15am, early release is 8:35am-10:00am,
149 full days
25 early release days
432 hours kindergarteners are in school per year
966 hours 1st-5th are in school per year

That's 38 (7 hour) days less than in Texas for 1st-5th!
That's 114 (7 hour) days less than in Texas for kinder!!

I thought all schools in the US had to educate kids for the same amount of time, but I thought wrong. I wanted to share this so that you can make an informed decision about your child's education. I am only comparring Everett SD, and do not have experience with the other districts. But, it might be worth looking into if this is a concern.

Last edited by debfromtx; 03-25-2012 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: left out info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
For starters, each state (city, and county and even the district itself) dictate the rules and schedule for their own schools. How Everett SD does their thing doesn't necessarily mean the other SD in the state does the same.

My experience: that Half-Day K is normal, you have AM and PM class... but if you want full day, then it's competitive and some even require that you pay. Buses are for students who live 1+ mile from the school. We have early release on Wednesdays... usually on the last week of the month (though, the schedule is a bit different on the middle/high school level).

I don't know if Everett SD, or specifically that school, has a waiver-- but if your calculations are correct and they don't have a waiver... they're actually violating State Law. I don't think they would intentionally or accidentally do that. Here the information about what the State Law has for schools: WAC 180-90-160: Minimum standards and certificate form.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,855,031 times
Coming from CA, the school offerings here are much better.

In CA you have to live a really ridiculous distance from a school for bus service, and even then it costs you upwards of $500/year for the privilege. I'm pretty sure kinder is half day, and all the elementary schools had 1 early release day per week, and junior high had a late start day. I don't know about high school.

Considering the test scores coming out of most of the Seattle suburbs east side schools, I don't think anyone in those districts is getting gypped.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Coming from CA, the school offerings here are much better.

In CA you have to live a really ridiculous distance from a school for bus service, and even then it costs you upwards of $500/year for the privilege. I'm pretty sure kinder is half day, and all the elementary schools had 1 early release day per week, and junior high had a late start day. I don't know about high school.

Considering the test scores coming out of most of the Seattle suburbs east side schools, I don't think anyone in those districts is getting gypped.
Same experience here. using Everett as an example is no way to judge an entire state. Look at the college placement rate of schools in Mercer Island, Bellevue and Sammamish. There can be huge differences in schools within any state. Those considering moving to a new state should do the research on schools before moving to avoid disappointment.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM

259 posts, read 554,304 times
I wonder why you are polling people without providing more information regarding all of Washington School districts? As that is what the poll states. But only providing information on the Everett SD and a district in Texas. What are you really trying to find out?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,938 times
My son's school in SLC has half-day Fridays, full-time Kindergarten where they learn their colors, numbers, letters, and beginning to read. Anything within 2 miles does not get bussed. There are 32 students in his 2nd grade class this year. There is no social studies, science, or health in his class--only reading, writing, and math.

So...I'd take Washington schools over his any day. And did I mention that it is a uniformed school so they can tell who belongs and who doesn't.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Opera, I hope all is going well with you

To the OP, I've only seen kindergarten as half day programs in several states. Washington state has a basic set of days which each district must meet. When school was closed for four days during the snow, they added those four days to the end of the school year. To each his own but I would not consider sending my child to school in Texas.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM

18 posts, read 69,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debfromtx View Post
I thought all schools in the US had to educate kids for the same amount of time, but I thought wrong. I wanted to share this so that you can make an informed decision about your child's education. I am only comparring Everett SD, and do not have experience with the other districts. But, it might be worth looking into if this is a concern.

This is my purpose for this post.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM

151 posts, read 548,425 times
It all depends on what you are used to. I will say...it's difficult to find unbiased comments and opinions.

There are some excellent schools in Texas, just like every state.

I was not aware of this either and it is surprising.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 AM

102 posts, read 275,054 times
We're in the Bellevue school district.

Um...no. I do not think our children are getting "jipped". I think that we are incredibly lucky to have access to such a fantastic school district, particularly such an incredible high school. I think that the level of education received by students here would be much coveted by many, many areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington