Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Wenatchee is a nice area, though ... but not really liberal.
How do you define "liberal"??
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,895,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
How do you define "liberal"??
Probably about the same as the others on this thread, including the OP who asked for ideas about places with a "liberal" feel. Pretty standard stuff. And you can even Google it if you are confused.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 AM

405 posts, read 1,280,591 times
Strange a person wants to move to Wenatchee because they think its liberal.

I think I may move to San Francisco because I think it's conservative..

AH, nothing more liberal than small-town Eastern Washington.. I should know I lived there for 1-1.5 long years.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,895,589 times
I didn't read the OP as suggesting s/he thought Wenatchee was liberal. I read it as more of a question. But right, eastern WA is generally pretty conservative country.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Strange a person wants to move to Wenatchee because they think its liberal.

I think I may move to San Francisco because I think it's conservative..

AH, nothing more liberal than small-town Eastern Washington.. I should know I lived there for 1-1.5 long years.
Well, I lived in Berkeley for almost a decade and in Wenatchee for over two decades.

Berkeley is a much more rigid community, however, that does embrace the weird.

Does that make it liberal?? Are we confusing tolerance for the weird for tolerance of people??

From Wilkipedia def. of liberal: It affirms the following principles: human rights, free and fair elections and multiparty democracy, social justice, tolerance, social market economy, free trade, environmental sustainability and a strong sense of international solidarity.

Wenatchee wins on tolerance, social market economy, free trade and environmental sustainability.

On free and fair elections: Several liberals has been elected in Wenatchee. I don't believe I saw anybody conservative ever elected in Berkeley. Not that the elections were rigged, but conservative political viewpoints are just not tolerated in Berkeley.

On Government Services: The people of Chelan County OWN their power company. Berkeley uses those "1% company known as PGE". The people of Chelan County even opposed a "liberal Governer" that wanted to stop the publically owned fiber optic system for high speed internet, cable and phone. AND got a partial victory. Does Berkeley have a public fiber system??

On Environmental sustainability: Wenatchee relies 100% on clean, carbon-free power. It even won an award for most sustainable community. Berkeley's power?? Is it coal?? Or whatever PGE provides.

Free Markets: Wenatchee fruit, power is exported throughout the west and the world. I suppose this is an unfair question. Does Berkeley have anything besides the University?? Anybody make anything is Berkeley??

I guess I could go on about cuts in education and library service in Berkeley, while Wenatchee is fully funding their schools and library.

After living in both communities for extended periods of time I would say Wenatchee is a progressive community, but with conservative values. Berkeley, well they like to think of themselves as being a progressive community, but really they just like talking about it.

I could go on, but you get the drift.

There are good communities and there are bad communities. Some like Berkeley are liberal and bad. Eugene, well that's liberal and a pretty good community.

I would take Wenatchee, Spokane and Boise as pretty good conservative communities. I have also lived in some bad conservative communities.

Are people committed to a community?? That matters more than their politics or views of the world.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, I lived in Berkeley for almost a decade and in Wenatchee for over two decades.

Berkeley is a much more rigid community, however, that does embrace the weird.

Does that make it liberal?? Are we confusing tolerance for the weird for tolerance of people??

From Wilkipedia def. of liberal: It affirms the following principles: human rights, free and fair elections and multiparty democracy, social justice, tolerance, social market economy, free trade, environmental sustainability and a strong sense of international solidarity.

Wenatchee wins on tolerance, social market economy, free trade and environmental sustainability.

On free and fair elections: Several liberals has been elected in Wenatchee. I don't believe I saw anybody conservative ever elected in Berkeley. Not that the elections were rigged, but conservative political viewpoints are just not tolerated in Berkeley.

On Government Services: The people of Chelan County OWN their power company. Berkeley uses those "1% company known as PGE". The people of Chelan County even opposed a "liberal Governer" that wanted to stop the publically owned fiber optic system for high speed internet, cable and phone. AND got a partial victory. Does Berkeley have a public fiber system??

On Environmental sustainability: Wenatchee relies 100% on clean, carbon-free power. It even won an award for most sustainable community. Berkeley's power?? Is it coal?? Or whatever PGE provides.

Free Markets: Wenatchee fruit, power is exported throughout the west and the world. I suppose this is an unfair question. Does Berkeley have anything besides the University?? Anybody make anything is Berkeley??

I guess I could go on about cuts in education and library service in Berkeley, while Wenatchee is fully funding their schools and library.

After living in both communities for extended periods of time I would say Wenatchee is a progressive community, but with conservative values. Berkeley, well they like to think of themselves as being a progressive community, but really they just like talking about it.

I could go on, but you get the drift.

There are good communities and there are bad communities. Some like Berkeley are liberal and bad. Eugene, well that's liberal and a pretty good community.

I would take Wenatchee, Spokane and Boise as pretty good conservative communities. I have also lived in some bad conservative communities.

Are people committed to a community?? That matters more than their politics or views of the world.

Excellent post, 509! Could be the all-time best post on this entire website. Too many people get hung up on labels and perception, which too often leads to division and intolerence. When people band together to make their community a better place to live for everyone, does it really matter what they label themsleves as in political terms?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,891 times
so is the wenatchee area a good place to live at?? how are the job opportunites there i too want to relocate there, i live in a very small town in ca nothing similar to weanatchee, thats for sure.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 AM

7 posts, read 14,553 times
Wenatchees a great place if youre looking for out door activitys but boringggg if you expect much from the down town there is out door conserts apple blossom and its walkable chelan or levenworth are alot better if you like small towns

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
Regarding Wenatchee, it depends on what you are looking for. As far as nature or scenery, I find Wenatchee to be really, really ugly. It is not the green, mountainous type of place you picture with Washington- it is east of the Cascades, in a much, much drier environment, so Wenatchee is in a bit of a dry, barren landscape. The hills don't have trees on them, they just look brown most of the time. When you are headed east over Stevens Pass, as you come down the east side of the mountains the landscape changes from dense fir forest to a more dry, pine forest. As you get east of Leavenworth the trees start to disappear very quickly, so by the time you get to Cashmere and then Wenatchee all of the trees are gone except for some deciduous trees right along the river. If you want the lush dense forest, waterfalls, large bodies of water, etc. then you definitely want to stay west of the Cascades.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Regarding Wenatchee, it depends on what you are looking for. ... If you want the lush dense forest, waterfalls, large bodies of water, etc. then you definitely want to stay west of the Cascades.
Good IDEA !! (stay We_t Side)

Coming from a 32 yr We-tside dweller who despises every drop of drizzle and every cloudy day (285 days / yr of them to equal 100+" of drizzle at my We_t side Mtn home)

I grew up with 6-8ft dia tumble weeds as Christmas trees (Prairie Kid). I'm sure glad that some folks dislike dry, and there will continue to be OPEN SPACE on the East (scenic) side YMMV

(If you can live within the RULES the we_t side voting contingent feels we need to be responsible Farmers, Ranchers and Employers (Most We_t side voters know A LOT about those responsibilities )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington