Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
That is what I worry about. The gray. I go nuts here in the Midwest if it is overcast for a week. It would be nice to get away from the snow for a milder winter but I don't know if I could last through a season of drizzle.
IMO, it's great that you are analyzing this problem before you make the move. For me, it was almost a psychological condition - after a couple of winters, I seriously felt as if I was going crazy from the gray and the drizzle. Sorry to paint a lousy picture, but mild winter weather certainly wasn't worth my sanity, in that case...

Back to the topic of the thread, though - thankfully, Wenatchee is not in Western WA, and (except for the Tri-Cities area) has some of the best weather in WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:44 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We pay no attention to the rain, and go hiking, boating, and biking almost all year. The rain is mostly a very light misty drizzle. Today for example, I walked about a mile in the rain with no jacket or umbrella and was not very wet. Even with 6" of snow people are out walking.
Give me 6' of snow (or more) over that awful light misty drizzle ANY DAY!!!

And I agree fully with PS90. A cold rain at 40 degrees is by far worse than a foot of snow at 20 degrees, sun or no sun.

Midwest_Moon, if you don't like grey skies, stay out of Western Washington unless it's during our glorious summers.

Eastern Washington is where it's at. Better weather year round. I love it.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Give me 6' of snow (or more) over that awful light misty drizzle ANY DAY!!!

And I agree fully with PS90. A cold rain at 40 degrees is by far worse than a foot of snow at 20 degrees, sun or no sun.

Midwest_Moon, if you don't like grey skies, stay out of Western Washington unless it's during our glorious summers.

I guess it is just a matter of preference, because I am from the Midwest, and the rainy winter days feel far more mild than the 20 degree snowy days. Add to that the icy roads, and the fact that in that type of climate the landscape all turns a dead brown making everything look so bleak- people I know or are related to from back home who have spent winters here in seattle find the rainy winters far superior. They love that you can ditch the extra heavy coats and that the landscape, including grass and many bushes, stays green all winter.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I guess it is just a matter of preference, because I am from the Midwest, and the rainy winter days feel far more mild than the 20 degree snowy days. Add to that the icy roads, and the fact that in that type of climate the landscape all turns a dead brown making everything look so bleak- people I know or are related to from back home who have spent winters here in seattle find the rainy winters far superior. They love that you can ditch the extra heavy coats and that the landscape, including grass and many bushes, stays green all winter.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Well, I disagree with you that green is "prettier" than brown, but as you say, that's just different preferences. The open fields and sheer cliffs/rock formations around Dry Falls or Banks Lake, for example, are brown (or white) 10 months per year, but IMO that whole area is gorgeous.

I would agree with you in general that the roads are generally safer in Western WA due to lower occurrence of snow/ice. When it does snow in Western WA, however, even if it's just an inch or two, it's as if the entire world comes to a screeching halt.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, I disagree with you that green is "prettier" than brown, but as you say, that's just different preferences. The open fields and sheer cliffs/rock formations around Dry Falls or Banks Lake, for example, are brown (or white) 10 months per year, but IMO that whole area is gorgeous.

I would agree with you in general that the roads are generally safer in Western WA due to lower occurrence of snow/ice. When it does snow in Western WA, however, even if it's just an inch or two, it's as if the entire world comes to a screeching halt.
LOL Very true on your last comment. The roads here in western WA are very dangerous when we do have snow, I will give you that. Probably far more dangerous than on the east side of the mountains due to nobody here knowing how to drive in it.
The rest I admit is truly just preference and nothing more- I was just arguing the other side that I feel and have seen in others.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM

35 posts, read 54,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post

Where would that be? Your location says Seattle?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 PM

35 posts, read 54,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
They love that you can ditch the extra heavy coats and that the landscape, including grass and many bushes, stays green all winter.
Good information. That is the first I have heard of green all winter. Is that in the Seattle region?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Good information. That is the first I have heard of green all winter. Is that in the Seattle region?
The deciduous trees like maples, alders and cottonwoods lose their leaves but provide fall color, and there are far more of the cedars, hemlocks and firs that stay green along with the grasses. Even now in August at 80 there is green grass in shaded areas still.

One problem with the winter ice/snow driving is the percentage of people from warmer states like CA and Texas and from other countries like India that never see it that cold. We had some trouble the first winter but at least we had been skiers in CA and had some experience driving in the Sierras. The other problem is that it's so infrequent that the cities/state/counties don't have the staff and equipment to handle a big event, it would be a bad investment, better to just shut it down and stay home. Many of us have the option to work from home on those days, others keep a few extra days of PTO for it.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Where would that be? Your location says Seattle?
I live in Seattle and have my whole life, born and raise. Seattle is in Western Washington. I prefer Eastern Washington, however. Eastern Washington is the side of Washington State that lies to the east of the Cascade crest, Western Washington to the west of the Cascade crest.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Fully agree. I just recently posted pictures from that area in the Washington State Picture Thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington