Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times

Advertisements

There is one area of Eastern Washington that DOES get more sunshine and a lot less rain. It is The Tri-Cities. While it is closer to central Oregon than either Seattle or Spokane, the facts don't lie. Is it Palm Springs? No. But it is the driest metro in the state, and has more sunshine days than any other metro. Cold? Yes, but not nearly as chilly as Spokane in the winter, and much warmer than most of the rest of the state from May through October. I'm sorry I don't have time to look up all the stats, but you can be assured this is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
There is one area of Eastern Washington that DOES get more sunshine and a lot less rain. It is The Tri-Cities. While it is closer to central Oregon than either Seattle or Spokane, the facts don't lie. Is it Palm Springs? No. But it is the driest metro in the state, and has more sunshine days than any other metro. Cold? Yes, but not nearly as chilly as Spokane in the winter, and much warmer than most of the rest of the state from May through October. I'm sorry I don't have time to look up all the stats, but you can be assured this is correct.
Yes this is 100% correct. Tri-cities does have the best weather in the state and seems to be more friendly as well.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 AM

175 posts, read 366,630 times
I've lived in Eastern WA all my life. I even bought into the "300 days of sun" thing because sometime about august 25th, you are suffocated by the heat and sun and lack of anything resembling a cloud in the perpetual blue sky and you feel like it's never going to end.

Winter sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as much of the country. We get snow, but not a ton, it only snowed enough to stick I think twice last winter. It gets really cold for a couple weeks once or twice a year, dipping into the single digits, but usually stays in the 20 - 30 range. It's gloomy most days, but the sun peeks out here and there to remind you where you are. This was from December:

But yeah, sometimes feels like it's never going to end and it's gonna be ugly and gray and the trees are going to look dead forever.

Spring is mild and beautiful. Sometimes windy, but this one is pretty nice. Sun shines most days. Green is abundant.

Summer is awful. All the green turns to brown. It's hot and miserable. I don't like heat, gives me migraines. Summer spends a lot of time over 90, hovering around 100 and occasionally going over.

Fall is perfect. Finally cools down. Nice crisp weather but still sunny. Apple orchards EVERYWHERE, pie making season .

Old 10-01-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
Default western washington: seasonally imbalanced

I have lived in Washington for about 33 years. Mostly western Washington, but a few years on the east side.

Generally on the west side, September through mid-July are primarily grey and rainy. There are usually some nice days in September, October, and early July. However, you can pretty much count on grey, rainy days most of the year. The summer months in contrast, are strikingly beautiful. So perfect, in fact, that many people consider enduring all the grey, rainy days a fair trade for the splendor of the summers.

If you want to see the sun more than just a month or two each year, the east side is the way to go. Walla Walla, Tri Cities, Wenatchee, Yakima, Spokane would all be worth checking out.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:25 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Tri-Cities is sunny, Spokane not that much.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:25 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elabraleon View Post
I have lived in Washington for about 33 years. Mostly western Washington, but a few years on the east side.

Generally on the west side, September through mid-July are primarily grey and rainy. There are usually some nice days in September, October, and early July. However, you can pretty much count on grey, rainy days most of the year. The summer months in contrast, are strikingly beautiful. So perfect, in fact, that many people consider enduring all the grey, rainy days a fair trade for the splendor of the summers.

If you want to see the sun more than just a month or two each year, the east side is the way to go. Walla Walla, Tri Cities, Wenatchee, Yakima, Spokane would all be worth checking out.
I completely agree. During the few years that I suffered on the West side, I loved the summer months. They are almost enough to be worth the terrible, gloomy, rainy months. They certainly would be worth it if the nice weather lasted 5 or 6 months - but in reality the nice weather lasts about 2-3 months, while the awful weather lasts at least 8 or 9.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:33 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
September is one of the nicest months in Seattle. Spokane has much worse weather than Seattle in my opinion. The same gray, just not as wet, but much much colder and snowier. The only place that has really nice weather in this state is Tri-Cities, but it gets windy. Spokane could be 40 degrees and cloudy in April when Tri-Cities is 70 and sunny at the same time.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,778 times
My family and I are relocating to WA. My kids are sick of California. I live in OC, of course I love it here but the housing is outrageous! I'm use to gloomy weather in May/June and some July (that's how the beach cities are.) So my question is....which would be the sunniest cities to live in? We're looking for something about 30 minutes from Seattle.

Any recommendations would be great!

[email]bcrzy@yahoo.com[/email] Thank you!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Since your question pertains to Seattle ("We're looking for something about 30 minutes from Seattle"), you might want to start your own thread in the Seattle Area forum, rather than tacking it onto an unrelated thread in the Washington state forum.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:33 PM

301 posts, read 519,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcreasey66 View Post
So my question is....which would be the sunniest cities to live in? We're looking for something about 30 minutes from Seattle.

Sorry, had to chuckle at this one a little. There won't be any noticeable change in weather in any community about 30 minutes from Seattle, if you factor commuting during regular daytime commute hours. Now if you broaden your search to 30 miles outside of Seattle (up to a two-hour daytime commute depending on location), then we might be able to give you a better answer.

And Crazy makes an excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington