Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM

325 posts, read 787,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
We do get lots of people who move here from sunny environments claiming that they just absolutely love rain and clouds-- and they're also the ones that are more likely to run out first opportunity they can grab. Honestly, it doesn't really mean anything to us when people make statements like this because it's just fact of life here and it does get annoying. (The rain, I mean.)
I keep seeing these types of statements ... I must be the exception to the rule. I moved there from Reno where it is extremely sunny all of the time, and I knew that I desired cloudy, rainy climates much more. I then lived in Tacoma for three years, lived a year later in Seattle and am desperately looking to return to that part of the country, and I have actually loved the cloudy, rainy weather more than I did when I first moved there. Then again, I learned a long time ago that my preferred climates do not remotely match up with what most prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXVII View Post
We have a lot of electronics like video game consoles and computers... would they have a problem surviving the moist Pacific NorthWest air [inside the apartment, of course]?
It's hard to find anyone under Medicare age here who doesn't have computers and/or game consoles. They'll be fine.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM

489 posts, read 964,536 times
I have been to Midland many times for work. I love the Latin culture so prevalent in that area, but the dusty dry air really got to me. It was good to come home to green grass, trees, and mountains. Like others, I caution you on the gray and rain. You'll go a month at a time without seeing the sun, seriously. I suggest you come here in the middle of winter to see what it is really like. If you come around in the summer and catch one of those legendary Puget Sound summer days, you'll never want to leave thinking it is always like that there.

Don't sweat the mold issue. I lived in Lacey, next door to Olympia, for 30 years. I never lost an electrical item to mold. As long as you keep your house clean, you'll be fine.

-Mike

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM

14 posts, read 60,244 times
I visited Seattle in late November 2010, and loved the cold chill and constant drizzle. I personally despise heat and the sun, so I truly am in the wrong place right now.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 37,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXVII View Post
I visited Seattle in late November 2010, and loved the cold chill and constant drizzle. I personally despise heat and the sun, so I truly am in the wrong place right now.

Best of luck to you on your move. I too hope to move to that area one day.... planning for my future in the drizzle keeps me smiling! Take care

Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,491 times
If I remember correctly, Capital Park apartments are one of the older complexes in that area. Along Limited Lane and the connecting Kenyon road there are 3 or 4 complexes. I know it's hard to find a place coming from out of state, but in my experience, you generally can find a nice duplex for cheaper than the apartment rents around here. It's hard not knowing the area, though. The location you are looking at is nice. It is within walking distance of Yauger Park, Safeway, Target, the mall, several fast food joints, and the movie theater. Harrison Ave. which runs partially parallel to Limited Lane is pretty busy but I think you'll find that complex tucked back away from traffic.
Time will tell if this is the kind of rain you are looking for. Yes, it does keep everything fairly green but even natives struggle to get through the incessant rain in the winter. No, it doesn't rain all of the time, but be prepared for winter months where there is only 1 day without rain. You will learn to know the difference between mist, spray, drizzle, spattering, and downpour. Sometimes I feel as if I never dry out in the winter!

Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM

81 posts, read 306,565 times
Default organic food coops

[
Kroger is "Fred Meyers" here. No Publix, or Heb obviously. We also have Safeway, Albertson, QFC (also a Kroger company), Haggens/Top Foods. I've heard rumors of Whole Foods coming to Olympia. Its kinda pointless as you have many Co-ops and Farmer markets options-- do check the Olympia Farmers Market.

I'm curious about the food coops ~ I was very tempted to move to Houston TX just for their huge Rawfully Organic Coop but the flooding, climate and mosquitos have almost changed my mind. Where are the food coops located, also the farmers markets -- is there an abundance of fruit all year round? Also Olympia has made it on a Best Places list for retirement, meaning affordable, safe, etc. How bad is the threat of earthquakes? Which neighborhoods have a sense of community and walkability, w/ affordable rental apartments in small complexes or even loft living? Any feedback is most welcome!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
[
Where are the food coops located, also the farmers markets -- is there an abundance of fruit all year round? Also Olympia has made it on a Best Places list for retirement, meaning affordable, safe, etc. How bad is the threat of earthquakes? Which neighborhoods have a sense of community and walkability, w/ affordable rental apartments in small complexes or even loft living? Any feedback is most welcome!
I'm not a fan, but the coops are on Rogers on the Westside and Pacific Ave just west of I-5 on the eastside. The local coop is way to political. They have been suing themselves over some silly Israel issue. The farmers market and other local businesses is by far the better route.

There is not an abundance of local fruit year round. The fresh stuff in winter comes from California, Chile, etc. The local fruit season is May-October.

Earthquakes are a real threat, so plan accordingly. About the only places to avoid are the tidal fill land downtown and old non-reinforced masonry structures. Most structures are wood or built to standard, so not too much to worry about. The most recent large earthquake to hit Western Washington was centered 10 miles from Olympia, but Seattle received more damage. There were zero earthquake related deaths.

All the community oriented neighborhoods are predominately single family homes. Olympia is not a dense urban place. You'll need a car.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
Hey XXVII: It's amazing the people I come across who like myself, crave a nice long, cloudy, grey, misty and COOL streak of weather. I live in the heart of Oklahoma where we endured yet another disgustingly hot, dry summer. At 54 years old, It's getting harder by the year to bear with this weather. I can't tell you how much I despise it, but I put up with it because the rest of our family is here, the Mrs. won't move, it is what it is.

Your blessed to be able to move out to the PACNW. I've been to Olympia twice, most recently in Nov. of 2011. It's definitely very progressive, you have one of the most liberal colleges in the country there (Evergreen State College) which adds to the eclectic atmosphere there. The people seem pretty cool, folks were pretty amped up when I was there as they had the Occupy Wall Street rallies going on.

As for the weather... what you have read and heard is true.. October until early July is far more cloudier than sunny. March, April and sometimes May can be the cloudiest. After early July, high pressure settles in, pushing the storm track into BC and Alaska. August and sometimes September; you can go weeks at a time of sunny, fine weather with temperatures in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. Occasionally you'll get a heat wave that will send temperatures into the 90's but that may happen about 3 to 5 days a summer. Lately, they've experienced a drought, Seattle will go down as the driest August ever with only a trace for the month.. thats quite unusual. Olympia tallied up this month with 0.04. You also should know that there are lots of "micro climates" in western WA. Want to see some sun? but still enjoy the green lush landscapes that you crave? There are places like Sequim and Port Townsend that are in the "rain shadow" of the Olympics which is about a 2 hour drive from Olympia. They average about 265 sunny days per year verses about 100 days that Olympia receives (most of that July thru September) Also, east of the Cascades in places like Ellensburg, Walla Walla and Spokane, the sun blazes there at least 275 days or more a year, but is very dry (about 8-12 inches per year at those locations). One more thing, those legendary west TX. thunderstorms you've experienced, are extremely rare in western WA. state, especially Olympia and along the coast. You may see about 2 to 5 days a year with a "thundershower". This is because of the cold Pacific waters that keeps instability low that can cause thunderstorms to form. Severe weather in the form of hail and damaging winds happen about once in 4 years in the Olympia area. To my knowledge, a tornado has never occurred around Olympia but I'm sure funnel clouds have been sighted upon rare occasion.

Anyway.. hope this is of some help. Hope your move is a fruitful one.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
The people seem pretty cool, folks were pretty amped up when I was there as they had the Occupy Wall Street rallies going on.
Most folks in Olympia disdained that. They should pay for all the damages they did.

As for the weather, it hasn't rained in over a month. The cloudy and rainy is in the winter time, so dreamy southerners probably should stay put. December is by far the cloudiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington