Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM

101 posts, read 201,769 times

Advertisements

I parked my car at one of Washington's State Park on Saturday night around 7:30 pm.
The parking lot was completely empty, save for 2 or 3 cars.
This was St. Edwards State Park in Kenmore.
I wanted to go for a small hike with my dog, for about an hour.
When I got back, I had a parking ticket.

I had to have a discover pass. I had never heard of a discover pass before.
Obviously, who ever ticketed me, knew this, since I have an out of state license state.
I had no idea where to buy one.
To be quite frank, I didn't know I needed a parking permit to park my car or I wouldn't not have parked there.
It's not very clear where I drove up, that this was illegal parking.
I can understand parking permits, where there is limited parking, but this was a virtually empty parking lot.
A couple of weeks later, I got a ticket for a $100 in the mail and my driver's license was being revoked.

Why is it a crime to park your car at a Washington state park?
I've visited state parks in half a dozen states.
This is the only one that makes it a crime to park your car at the park.
Obviously, I will not be visiting anymore state parks here, since it is considered criminal act to park your car there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
I don't understand how as you entered St. Edwards can you miss out on at least 2 signs saying that parking is $10 and when you do park in the parking lot, overlook the cashbox. Each parking space is numbered, so that you pay for your slot.

The Discovery Pass is (IIRC) $30/yr (you can go to Fred Meyers, DMV, et. c to buy the pass). Its not illegal parking... its just you not paying for your parking, now you have a hefty bill attached. Ignorance isn't a good excuse, unfortunately.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
Discovery Pass is stupid. I got lucky in April when my vehicle was found without one. All I got was a pamphlet on my windshield and a warning letter a couple weeks later that was sent through the mail. There are places where you can park your vehicle that don't require that stupid pass. However, you're going to have to be willing to walk a bit to get to the good stuff.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
The economy and the voters have taken a big bite out of the state government's revenues, so they had to do something to make up for some of it. They decided to charge for parking at the state parks. I don't like it but I do enjoy state parks, so I bought a Discover Pass. Still, taxes are supposed to cover the costs of running the parks system, and as a taxpayer I don't like paying twice for it: Once out of my taxes, and once with the parking pass. I feel the same way about school levies on the ballot. I don't think I should get to vote on it. It should just be included in the taxes.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
IMO, the Discovery Pass is ridiculous. Now, I understand the need to make up for lost revenue for the State Park Service, and, being an avid "park-goer", I bought one as soon as the requirement was instituted. I used it at least thirty times at multiple parks without a problem.

However, I went on a long walk on the "loop trail" here in Wenatchee, and parked at Confluence State Park, thinking that my Discover Pass was good enough to park there without a problem. Now, as everyone has probably guessed, I came back to find a $10 ticket on my car, even though the Discovery Pass was clearly visible. Of course (also due to budget cuts, I assume) the Ranger Station was abandoned, and I certainly was NOT simply going to drop-off $10 that I shouldn't have owed. So, after at least an hour of getting the run-around by state "officials" via the phone number on the Ranger Station, I left the park without paying. Unsurprisingly, I received a ticket in the mail for $99 for which I am now contesting, and will have to spend a half-day out of work and my life to clear this up.

There are only two options for why I received this ticket: the Park Ranger was totally untrained and/or just an idiot, or there is some kind of "conspiracy" among Parks employees due to the failure of the Discover Pass initiative - in other words, employees are ticketing people (who are legally parked) in hopes that those people would rather just pay the $10, rather than go to the hassle of going to court over the whole ordeal. The extra fraudulent income could be the difference between lay-offs or not, after all. Okay, personally, I doubt the whole conspiracy idea, but who knows?...

All I know is that the Park Service in WA will never get another dime from me - I will never buy a Discover Pass again, and I will stop giving the donations on my car's annual registration.

Sorry, rant over. Just something to keep in the back of your mind - it is apparent that the some of the current Park Rangers in WA State aren't on the same level as the ones of a few years ago when job security wasn't an issue. All the good ones probably moved to Idaho...

Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't understand how as you entered St. Edwards can you miss out on at least 2 signs saying that parking is $10 and when you do park in the parking lot, overlook the cashbox. Each parking space is numbered, so that you pay for your slot.

The Discovery Pass is (IIRC) $30/yr (you can go to Fred Meyers, DMV, et. c to buy the pass). Its not illegal parking... its just you not paying for your parking, now you have a hefty bill attached. Ignorance isn't a good excuse, unfortunately.
It's not illegal parking?
Then why according to their letter if you don't pay their $99 fee do they suspend your license?
No one confuses handicapped parking spaces with normal parking spaces.
How about putting a sign in front of the parking spot that says parking here requires a pass?

I say attempting, because I have an out of state license.

And I also tried to call and find a reasonable person to talk to about this.
Don't waste your time. All you get is a voice message and no one ever returns your call.
And please forgive me, if I don't carry a 10 dollar bill with me every time I go jogging.

Thankfully I have found enough free places to go jogging that don't require me to pay to park.
So this is the last time I visit this or any other state park.
They wont be getting any more money from me over this.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The economy and the voters have taken a big bite out of the state government's revenues, so they had to do something to make up for some of it. They decided to charge for parking at the state parks. I don't like it but I do enjoy state parks, so I bought a Discover Pass. Still, taxes are supposed to cover the costs of running the parks system, and as a taxpayer I don't like paying twice for it: Once out of my taxes, and once with the parking pass. I feel the same way about school levies on the ballot. I don't think I should get to vote on it. It should just be included in the taxes.
The state parks I have driven by beautiful.
But I'm not going to have my license suspended over this again.
That's ridiculous.
They think they can do whatever they want and people will continue to pay and go along.
Well I won't be going back anymore.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Hey... you are the one missed out on multiple signs saying that parking is to be paid 10 dollars. And like I said, I don't know how can you or anyone can miss out on it. And you don't need cash to pay, they take debit cards as well. This is why I rarely go to State Parks now... I think it's ridiculous, but... oh well.

If you're this upset about parking... try dealing with parking in Seattle DT. Those meter nazis are even more unreasonable to deal with-- and very quick to send it to collections with additional fees. One is even on my husband's credit report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_seattle View Post
It's not illegal parking?
Then why according to their letter if you don't pay their $99 fee do they suspend your license?
No one confuses handicapped parking spaces with normal parking spaces.
How about putting a sign in front of the parking spot that says parking here requires a pass?

I say attempting, because I have an out of state license.

And I also tried to call and find a reasonable person to talk to about this.
Don't waste your time. All you get is a voice message and no one ever returns your call.
And please forgive me, if I don't carry a 10 dollar bill with me every time I go jogging.

Thankfully I have found enough free places to go jogging that don't require me to pay to park.
So this is the last time I visit this or any other state park.
They wont be getting any more money from me over this.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Hey... you are the one missed out on multiple signs saying that parking is to be paid 10 dollars. And like I said, I don't know how can you or anyone can miss out on it. And you don't need cash to pay, they take debit cards as well. This is why I rarely go to State Parks now... I think it's ridiculous, but... oh well.

If you're this upset about parking... try dealing with parking in Seattle DT. Those meter nazis are even more unreasonable to deal with-- and very quick to send it to collections with additional fees. One is even on my husband's credit report.
I can actually understand that to agree. There is limited parking available there.
But the state park was virtually empty when I was ticketed.
It's a just to rip "ignorant' people like off like me.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_seattle View Post
I can actually understand that to agree. There is limited parking available there.
But the state park was virtually empty when I was ticketed.
It's a just to rip "ignorant' people like off like me.
Oh please, it is not a limited parking issue. The Seattle Gov't wants more money for itself-- Its loving ticketing people for this because it doesn't have to share that money with the State gov't, that they're willing to do it at the expense of local businesses. The local business, they actually don't get that much money from because the state gov't gets a bigger share.

But otherwise... like I said: there were multiple signs, you really can't use your ignorance as an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington