Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times

Advertisements

I had an interesting conversation with an environmentalist tonight about trees. I said if I had a choice to plant a tree in my yard, I'd go for a regional evergreen. Maybe too many reasons to mention. But one particular thing stands out. Many of the most popular species of deciduous trees have been afflicted by one pest or another, such as the Dutch elm beetle, the emerald borer in ash trees, the sap beetle that spreads oak wilt. I've not heard much beyond gypsy moths affecting evergreens, but I don't live where evergreens are numerous. I decided to raise the question to people who live in the evergreen state. If people anywhere know about arboreal epidemics, it would be Washingtonians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Regional conifers get nailed too: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/us...ires.html?_r=0

In my neck of the woods you'll occasionally see a fungus that has wiped out a cluster of the predominant native tree around here, the douglas-fir.

All of my deciduous trees have done great, including a non-native sugar maple I brought back from the Catskills of NY. All of my conifers have done great too. Well, except the ones that met Mr. Chainsaw. Trees can be weeds up here. maple, alder (near wet areas), doug-fir, and cedar galore. I move the cedars to the shade and chop the rest.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Depends where you are. We have very little problems with any kind of tree. Dutch Elm Disease can be a problem but there are not that many elms. There are some diseases such as blister rust and invasions of western spruce budworm and bark beetles in the forests, but in populated areas those are all rare. I would say that there are more problems with the
conifers than deciduous, but that may be due to there being so many more of them.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
As Andy mentioned, the threat of bark beetles looms.

If you want to see the kind of devastation they bring, go to Colorado, they make the once grand forests look like a stand of twigs.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Did some supplemental research. Apparently drought stress is involved in bark beetle infestations. We all see portrayals of the water crisis in 60 percent of American land. Everyone concentrates on wild fires. But that is really just the spectacular tip of an iceberg of natural effects. Forests, too, not just cornfields, have to cope with lack of water. I'd like to know of what the 40 percent that escaped severe drought saw happening to conifers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington