Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 PM

15 posts, read 35,148 times

Advertisements

My bf and I are interested in moving to Washington from Milwaukee. We are both in our 20's, have no children, and neither of us are in school. I work in the restaurant industry and my bf works in sales/restaurant industry. Right now we live in an awesome apartment right downtown with views of the lake and beautiful hardwood floors and lots of south eastern windows for a cheap price. We are very privileged here but we want the natural beauty everywhere around us and we want more access to cheap local fresh ingredients. We are looking for mountain/ocean/forest scenery but also somewhat of an urban setting. Milwaukee has a half a million people, which is nice size, but we would prefer anything above 100k. (or less if directly outside urban area). I want to live in an area that's all about food. In every sense. I want to grow it and eat/support locals and independents. We can afford up to $800. We would prefer 1-2 bedroom or very large studio with lots of windows and a large kitchen. We don't have any kids, so I would rather live in a younger area, but I still want a semi-safe area. We are coming from Milwaukee, so we know what crime is. However, we live in an area with mostly young professionals who are friendly and we do not feel direct violence in our neighborhood. I guess I'm just wondering which area/city would be best for us? We are contemplating Seattle/Tacoma area, Spokane, or Vancouver.

Thanks, Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM

163 posts, read 270,532 times
Check out Fremont Seattle. Other than that, I don't know. I do know that 800 isn't much for a place in Seattle. It's pretty expensive here. Good luck

Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,692 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Seattle is made up of many smaller neighborhoods, Fremont is good, as is Greenlake, Wallingford, Ballard, and Queen Anne. Very few apartments (small studios) for that price though.

Tacoma has cheaper rents but not in good areas, I can't comment on Spokane. Most of WA is going to be far more expensive than Milwaukee.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,206,881 times
You could find a 1 or 2 bedroom in the Olympia area...I believe the entire area (Oly, Lacey and Tumwater) might meet your > 100K population requirement.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,990,065 times
Seattle is like a prettier, more vibrant, trendier, waaaaaaayyyyy more alive, giant Milwaukee without all the crime or segregation. With a giant price tag.

Believe it or not, downtown Milwaukee is about as happenin' as downtown Spokane. They are both relatively dead, but at least Spokane has the excuse of being waaaaay smaller. Spokane is like the Wisconsin of Washington, but without the cheese (sorry, couldn't resist ). I mean it in the "down-home" way.

Only consider Vancouver if you'd also consider Waukesha or Racine.

Go for Seattle if you want the true urban experience. Live on the lower half of South Hill of Spokane if you don't.

-David
spent a couple of days in Milwaukee during the summer
surprisingly liked it well enough
but it's got nothing on WA

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,754,107 times
Haha that's a great slogan for the tourism ads: "Seattle, we're like a really pretty Milwaukee. Come visit!"

Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

I'm thinking I really like the Olympia area. It's not too far from Seattle and it's the cheapest place I've found so far.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

611 posts, read 1,206,881 times
You will be able to find rent for under $800. From what you described of your likes, I would stick to the lower westside on either side of Harrison Ave (as far up as Division St. from downtown) or the southside spread out from Capital Way/Blvd. There are probably some deals to be had downtown and on the lower eastside as well. The area surrounding downtown is older with little apartments above shops and small bungalows. Still can find places with hardwood floors although the kitchen may not be huge. Craiglist is a good place to start looking.

There are 2 food coops in Olympia. One on Bowman Ave. in the westside area I described and the other is just off of Pacific which would be fairly close to downtown and closer to the lower eastside. The farmers market is pretty large and is right by the water downtown. Great place to get grass fed beef and pork as well as local veggies. There are also a number of CSA's in town. You can find info at the farmers market. Plus there seems to be an abundance of people selling chicken eggs. I always bought them from my coworkers but I know there is a house on Delphi Rd where they sell them on an honor system out of a fridge in their driveway.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,783 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Have you considered Madison? (much shorter move)

I agree with Fremont / Ballard area of Seattle or Olympia.

I would add Bellingham if you have intentions to do school and want a smaller community.

I would not recommend Vancouver. Portland will work if you can deal with weird and 9% income tax. (it is not cheap, but less than Seattle, and LOTS of food jobs and locavore focus, but not much between starving and $xxx,xxx wage jobs for 20 somethings).

Weigh this out...Right now we live in an awesome apartment right downtown with views of the lake and beautiful hardwood floors and lots of south eastern windows for a cheap price. We are very privileged here You will most likely NOT be able to replicate that, and be in a dungeon or similar for $800/month.

IN the meantime...How about a nice visit to PNW and adding some 'edible' landscape to your current apartment?

I did the 'mid - 20's move' from Colorado to WA... not all roses, but definately greener grass (that you have to mow 2x / week). +/- in many ways, but WA never really became HOME.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM

The more I weigh out our options, I'm thinking WA might not work out. It is a little out of our price range and it's SO far away, it's hard to think of a way of getting our stuff there. I have recently been searching Pueblo, CO.
StealthRabbit, you said you lived in CO? Which area did you live and do you know anything about Pueblo? Do they have an art or food scene? The living expenses seem tremendously cheaper than anywhere in WA.

Overall, our options are pretty much open. We are looking for something different from WI, where we have both lived our entire lives. We want nicer weather, more beautiful scenery and more outdoor activities. I can't take anymore below 0 degree weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington