Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 22,501 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be coming to Sedro-Woolley in two weeks to consider a job offer and relocation. We are really looking forward to checking out some house rentals, and so on. I wish I could say we were going to spend our time recreating, but there are too many important things to look into first.
We are looking for a place to move to mainly to be closer to our second love: recreating outdoors. We are avid kayakers, climbers, skiiers, and mountain bikers. I may be returning to school part time, so that could be a consideration, but family life comes first.
She is interviewing for a position in Sedro-Woolley, and it looks marvelous of course, but I would like to hear from residents about living conditions, crimes, issues of any sort? Are there water rights issues, or water quality issues? We live in Lansing, Michigan now, and while there is abundant water, it isn't always very clean. We are first and foremost an agricultural state, followed by industrial. Water can be very unclean in some areas. We already find ways to conserve water in our everyday routine, and electricity as well. I guess you could say we are conservationists.
We don't fit in very well here though, there aren't many people like us, and we have to travel very far sometimes in order to climb, bike, and kayak and ski. We are hoping to live closer to our favorite activities.
We have a young daughter who is just beginning to enjoy the same things as us as well.
Well, we welcome all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM

223 posts, read 1,275,179 times
Having lived in Skagit County though never in Woolley, I can offer you some insight.

The water quality in SC is great. In fact, one bottled water company actually sources it's water from a fire hydrant in Concrete. There is no shortage of water in the area in any way. In fact, SW is located on a flood plain and that should factor MAJORLY into where you choose to live. The Skagit River runs right through town and floods on a regular basis. The dikes and levees usually hold it back, but the city itself has flooded several times.

Woolley is very rural and the population tends to run towards the redneck end of the spectrum. It is a very socially conservative area and minorities, other than Latinos, are few and far between.

As far as recreational opportunities go, there will be no shortage of things for you to do. Hiking, climbing, skiing, kayaking, white water rafting are all available within 90 minutes drive of Woolley.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 AM

5 posts, read 22,501 times
I guess now our only trouble is finding a home to rent/lease while we try to sell our home here in a very depressed real estate market.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:13 PM

323 posts, read 449,047 times
Default Flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
. The Skagit River runs right through town and floods on a regular basis. The dikes and levees usually hold it back, but the city itself has flooded several times.
The Skagit does not run through Sedro Woolley and I have never heard of it flooding the town. You might be thinking of Mt Vernon, but dikes and sand bagging have kept its downtown dry. Hamilton, about 15 miles upriver from SW, regularly floods, but does not have dikes.

Sedro was originally built on the banks of the Skagit but flooded so much it was relocated a half mile to the north in the 1890's. Shortly thereafter it and Woolley grew together.

dentedvw - there are no water quality or quantity problems around SW.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,919 times
HMM Sedro Woolley, well we moved here this year, and I think everyone has nothing better to do in this town, but drive to slow. Or the moms that have no life, and call the school everytime something happens because they can't teach there own children to behave. If you want a good town move to Anacortes or Concrete , but Sedro Woolley has alot of growing up to do. Or the teachers that don't get paid enough, and gossip about other parents or students. Yes its been a blast moving into this town.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,763 times
You might consider living around Bellingham and commuting also.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
Living at Lake Samish is a 20 minute commute and is in the Bellingham SD. And even better because it references the South End Schools in Bellingham. They are the best in the district.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Glacier Peak provides some of the most rugged, challenging, and exciting wilderness recreation left in the Northwest, and it's just "upstream" from Sedro.

[SIZE=+1]Glacier Peak is not prominently visible from any major metropolitan centers, and so its attractions, as well as its hazards, tend to be overlooked. Yet, Glacier Peak has produced larger and more explosive eruptions than any other Washington volcano except Mount St. Helens.[/SIZE]

However, being from the Midwest, you need to entertain the idea of a future volcanic eruption in the area and the lahar flow history right through Sedro. (Just a bit of paranoia and doom to consider in your planning...)

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...OFR95-413.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington